Beast Bar
  • Anyone got the skinny on Beast Bar (638 Bergen St @ Vanderbilt Ave)?
  • No, all I can say is that I used to live above that place and the owner is a Holocaust survivor and madman who once locked me in my apartment by drilling my door shut while I was sleeping because I was late with my rent. Also, we used to wake up with strange cats in our apartment having no idea how they got there. One morning while my roommate and I were making pancakes, the door opened and he stuck his hand in with a kitten, and closed the door and ran away. He apparantly "thought" all these cats were ours. Anyway, when I lived there that place was PACKED with all sorts of old basement type things, clothing, furniture, albums, dust. And he swore he would never rent it out, so I'm a little worried about whoever rented from him. All that being said, they made the place pretty ugly, no?
  • I heard somewhere that Beast is owned by the same folks as the Belgian restaurant Thomas Beisl across from BAM in Ft. Greene.
  • One persons ugly is anothers beauty. I love the door! Haven't seen inside yet. Can't wait for them to open.
  • Wait. They haven't opened yet?
  • I was lucky enough to go to a suprise party there on Fri. Great food.

It's the type of place I could see myself hanging out in.
  • Then they did open? Or it was just a private party pre-opening?
  • Private party, I'm not sure when they are set to open.
  • That's what I thought, just walked by there today, and the paper is still on the windows. Come on, we want Tapas! :P
  • Subject: hot tapas

I think they are scheduled to open this friday the 25th. I met the owner (of Beast) and she was awesome, I'm looking forward to opening night!
  • I'm going to miss the opening... I'm curious. Somebody report back, please. Don't forget that digital camera.
  • I'm so there.
  • What time will the be door we swingin' open?
  • Subject: Beast

Spoke with the owner and she says Beast is open for dinner (run! don't walk...the tapas is great) and the bar will be open friday. I'm pumped.
  • Deb (the owner) emailed me last night. Beast finally has a liquor license and will be fully stocked for Friday night. I won't be able to make it. I'll be there Saturday night. Who's in?
  • I would like to but we'll be out of town. We may be at Soda and Cucina Rustica tonight, in that order, if plans come together.
  • Andy: Do you go out of town every wknd? I have my weekly chinese poker and sci-fi night in Astoria tonight. I should get back to the nabe at 11. If so, I'm going to Beast.
  • Isa wrote: No, all I can say is that I used to live above that place and the owner is a Holocaust survivor and madman who once locked me in my apartment by drilling my door shut while I was sleeping because I was late with my rent. Also, we used to wake up with strange cats in our apartment having no idea how they got there. One morning while my roommate and I were making pancakes, the door opened and he stuck his hand in with a kitten, and closed the door and ran away. He apparantly "thought" all these cats were ours. Anyway, when I lived there that place was PACKED with all sorts of old basement type things, clothing, furniture, albums, dust. And he swore he would never rent it out, so I'm a little worried about whoever rented from him. All that being said, they made the place pretty ugly, no?

i am completely fascinated / amazed by this, as i live upstairs from beast now. please, isa, whoever you are, i must know more! that morris is a bit of a madman, no?

and now, to stay on topic, beast is quite good! and smells really great in apartment, i must say. i am pleasantly surprised, though a little nervous about the inevitable summer crowds loitering under my bedroom window.
  • Subject: Isa

Jen, I don't know what more to tell you. Well, the store that is next to (might even be part of?) Beast used to be a rasta type record store. In other words, a front for pot dealing. So it got busted and I guess Morris decided not to rent it anymore because he wanted to "keep it legal". So the front of Beast was Morris' office and he refused to rent it out. It was packed -PIZACKED- with old clothing and junk, or "vintage" items if you prefer. Sometimes he would let us come in and have stuff. I got a few cool jackets and rickety end tables. I don't know exactly what Morris' deal was. He owned other buildings - the one across the street with the hardware store, plus one on President street and others. I lived above the hardware store but at that time it was a "bodega" and I guess they had a cat pee factory in there because you could smell it half a block away. He used to walk into our apartment and tell us to clean up. So I'd be half naked, asleep at one in the afternoon and there was Morris, telling me to take the garbage out. Thanks mom! Our other friends lived in the building you live in now, on the 3rd and 4th floors so we had quite a street gang going on. Which apartment do you live in?
  • Oh that was me above!
  • I'm going to Beast tonight to chat with Debbie, the owner. Anyone want to join me?
  • Subject: dear isa...

hey just so you know...beast is fully run by several fierce young women who want nothing more than to feed the people some delicious nutrutious food...oh and get em a little tipsy with some of the finest wines this side of the "bush."
    please...go see for yourself. you might want to eat your words. try them on a the side of the rib special...mmmmm...mmmm!
    signed a newly beast regular...and oldtime neighbor.
    :D
  • great food, $3 beer. i'm going back
  • Subject: outside is not inviting

Beast looks like a Beast. The outside is not inviting.
  • A bit skeptical, but went last night: Awesome, delicious food right in the neighborhood. And not too scandalously priced. The burgers were great. Not as sloppy as Soda's, but more flavorful.
  • I love the food and atmosphere at Beast, what a great addition to the neighborhood! One small complaint, the outside is as uninviting as possible, you can't even tell the place is open. I really wish they'd brighten it up, especially at night.
  • Subject: Re: Isa

Isa wrote: Jen, I don't know what more to tell you. Well, the store that is next to (might even be part of?) Beast used to be a rasta type record store. In other words, a front for pot dealing. So it got busted and I guess Morris decided not to rent it anymore because he wanted to "keep it legal". So the front of Beast was Morris' office and he refused to rent it out. It was packed -PIZACKED- with old clothing and junk, or "vintage" items if you prefer. Sometimes he would let us come in and have stuff. I got a few cool jackets and rickety end tables. I don't know exactly what Morris' deal was. He owned other buildings - the one across the street with the hardware store, plus one on President street and others. I lived above the hardware store but at that time it was a "bodega" and I guess they had a cat pee factory in there because you could smell it half a block away. He used to walk into our apartment and tell us to clean up. So I'd be half naked, asleep at one in the afternoon and there was Morris, telling me to take the garbage out. Thanks mom! Our other friends lived in the building you live in now, on the 3rd and 4th floors so we had quite a street gang going on. Which apartment do you live in?

We live in the 4th floor apartment... when we moved in a year ago, the main storefront was still totally packed with junk and looked like you could die in there without anyone noticing. The smaller store was allegedly rented out by a "holistic hair care" place (as some woman sneaking out of there one night described it to us) who had had a long lease there but never opened. We always assumed that it was another drug front. As for Morris, we're lucky to live on the top floor, where his ailing health doesn't allow him to reach us very often. Thanks for the the gossip from the 576 olden times! Quite fascinating.
  • Subject: 11238

I went to Beast with a friend of mine. It was great. We sat by the bar because I heard screaming kids in the back.

We went to town. We had the Manchego Cheese Fried cubes and the Cayenne almonds to start.

We both had burgers and we shared the smores.

We also each had a HUGE $3.00 beer. I will definitely go back.
  • Subject: fun place

We went last night...and definitely enjoyed the place. The owner (Tina I believe was her name) was very nice. I liked the atmosphere, but I actually like the way the outside looks too- different but I like it. I was so happy to see the tapper game- I love that videogame!!! Unfortunately though the waitresses there absolutely ROCK at it, I couldn't even get my name up- they bested me by 20,000 points. :P

Not too much for vegans on the menu, (what else is new) but we were happy to see that there were 3 options in the appetizers for us: spiced almonds, marinated olives, and roasted veggies. We had the olives which were tasty and the roasted veggies which were awesome! (brussel sprouts, rutabegas, turnips, beets, & potatoes in a luscious flavorful glaze) When I asked if the veggies were vegan (no butter) she told me that the chef had just been saying how they should have more vegetarian food, so when Tina asked her if the veggies were vegan the chef was like "See?!?!"

So hopefully they will get more vegetarian stuff, because if the roasted veggies are any indication that is one talented chef- very very yummy. There were salads also that we could have had, the sauteed escarole one looked good. Not sure how kid friendly the menu is since I don't have any, but I'd say its at least good probably that they have the whole seperate back room so the kids could sit away from the bar area.
  • Subject: Beast restaurant Bergen St

Hey guys, just came across this board while searching for a view on Beast. My cousin owns the place, Debbie Bicknese. I was invited to the pre-opening party awhile ago but couldnt make it. I'm gonna make it there soon, but hows the food and the place itself? Thanx :)

Jeff

Jeff,
    Hey, it's Jennifer. You definitely have to check Debbie's place out. It's got a great atmosphere...a fun place to hang out with your friends. And the food is delicious! She even has one of grandma's recipe's on her menu: the parmesan potatoes. They are even better than I remember! Sorry you missed the party and the opening night. Stephanie was there :lol: Take a trip to Brooklyn. You won't be disappointed!
  • I took Jessie, my bride-to-be, on Sunday night. She hates almonds; I hate olives. She loved the spiced almonds; I loved the marinated olives.

If an establishment can change your mind about a particular dish, it's a damn good place.

I've had several of the items on the menu, and couldn't agree more...food is OUTSTANDING!!!

I especially loved the braised short ribs which literally melted in your mouth....and the lamb kabobs with couscous were out of this world....

I've also tried the parmesan potatoes with melted mozzarella and the fresh roasted veggies. They're SOOOO GOOD!!!!

One of my husband's favorites was a special clam dish. Done to perfection, they were some of the tastiest he's ever had (I was only able to get a small taste out of his dish, but if it's on the menu again, I'll be sure to order it).

Actually, I haven't had a dish I didn't like...

Desserts are worth saving room for; or if you're like us, stuffing ourselves first, and yet still ordering dessert...I really loved the pear Napoleon. My favorite is the pistachio ice cream, which I understand is made on the premises...it's so rich and creamy. Yum Yum....

Even the espresso was special...my husband had THREE!!!

Can't wait to go back...I'm hungry just thinking about it.
  • If the owners of Beast read this.. add vegan items! Please!
  • Subject: Beast - great food and drinks

After going to Beast a couple of times for drinks, my husband and I finally tried dinner there with a friend. It was fantastic -- great burger (with homemade ketchup), grilled sardines, piquillo peppers stuffed with salt cod and the braised short ribs. Of course, we started out with the addictive manchego cheese bites. All in all a great meal and relaxed (but attentive) service. For dessert we enjoyed a 3 cheese plate and a grilled bananas with homemade pistachio ice cream. This is fast becoming our favorite neighborhood place.
  • Subject: Black Panthers, Heroin dealers and Tipping the Velvet

The Beast - what a crazy history! I wanted to like the restaurant, but I just couldn't after getting a look. My first sight after walking in the door was an overweight bartender in a sweaty tank top and a cowboy hat. Second image: perhaps the most atrocious "stained glass" windows in all of creation. The food, dry and salty, scared me right out of the place. At least the liquor was cheap. Run. And run far.
  • Subject: Time Out New York Write-up

Congratulations on the write-up in Time Out New York!! Only open a couple of weeks and you've already gotten a great review. Where most others are listed in an inch square section, you managed to get a quarter page with photo. Way to go!!

I hear that Zagat Brooklyn has also contacted you.....I guess the word is out.

If you haven't tried the food yet, you'd better hurry before they're lining up in the street to get in.
  • Subject: Re: Black Panthers, Heroin dealers and Tipping the Velvet

Disappointed wrote: The Beast - what a crazy history! I wanted to like the restaurant, but I just couldn't after getting a look. My first sight after walking in the door was an overweight bartender in a sweaty tank top and a cowboy hat. Second image: perhaps the most atrocious "stained glass" windows in all of creation. The food, dry and salty, scared me right out of the place. At least the liquor was cheap. Run. And run far.

i live one block from beast. i was skeptical. at first, and now...there's something special about being human. and american. we all have the right to our opinions. so make it your job to make your own. beast is lovely! it seems like a grassroots business, oiling it's wheels, trying to bring community to a communtiy. i spoke with the chef for a bit on saturday night. local food, local staff, and local work. they have changed a "Black Panthers, Heroin dealers and Tipping the Velvet" establishment into they're own!

so it's not soho! we live in prospect heights!!! enjoy! and the food is luscious...but again make your own opinion.
    your neighbor.

art is in the eye of the beholder. oh and what is wrong with the BLACK PANTHERS ANY WAY.......?
  • Subject: what's good...what's bad...?

hi all. my folks are in town this weekend and i'm stuck with em. was thinking of taking em to beast. i see that most of you guys give a thumbs up on ribs, lamb and cheese...anything else good.
    anything to totally avoid... i see that there's a post about stuff being salty and dry...what is so i don't order it.

I love the fact that Vanderbilt is getting its due, and love the space at Beast, and LOVE the food. But while I love the option of Tapas, why not offer entree sizes of each dish too? The food was great, but the sizes being too small required 3 serving to be full at dinner. $33 for dinner entree??? and the only substantial things that would be an entree the Chicken and Burger, they were out of on a very quiet Tues evening I was there. So when I comment to the waitress that its probably a sign people want something a bit more substantial, she harped back, " or maybe they are just good dishes". The space is great, although it could have used a designer, how about the VERY DRAB, back room?? and having an open kitchen, just for the sake of having an open kitchen?? would have made much better use of the space, by slapping the kitchen in the back by the restrooms, and having the whole room around the bar a hopefully bustling dining room. The deserts were tasty too, but again VERY small portioned, I left still feeling like a beast for more food. The concept is great if your over tables full of vegetarians saying "I can't have this, I can't have that" blah, blah,blah! but the decor and concept, let alone the name, lend itself to visions of heartier portions, while the food quality, and unfortunately QUANTITY lend itself to visions of a five star upscale Manhattan boite .

Isa wrote: If the owners of Beast read this.. add vegan items! Please!

Don't you get it?????
  • Subject: beast bar

just went to beast bar.

liked the manchego bites, parmesan potatoes, dessert, pot de creme, delicious. think it could actually use more small tapas dishes.

nice addition to neighborhood...
  • Subject: Re: Beast

Knowitallof71 wrote: [quote=Isa]If the owners of Beast read this.. add vegan items! Please!

Don't you get it?????
    Um. No, I don't get it. Oh shit, they hate me?
  • Beast = MEAT!!! Not all things to all people.
  • Anonymous wrote: Beast = MEAT!!! Not all things to all people.

mmmmmmmm! meat.
  • I'm just saying, it never hurts to have something vegetarian on the menu that meat-eaters and non meat eaters alike can enjoy. As a vegetarian, I don't sit at the table saying "I can't have this or that...blah blah blah", I simply look at the menu before I go in and if there is nothing I can eat I leave. Usually, even if there is one thing I can have I will check it out. It is a friendly gesture to the vegetarian locals to add something they can eat and I certainly don't feel that it takes anything away from carnivores. Prospect Heights in particular is severely lacking in vegan options, so I think it would actually be very positive for just one restaurant to include an option or two for the many veggies in the area. We are a desperate bunch at this point!
  • FYI...

Just went to Beast, AGAIN. One of the dinner specials was a hummus crostini with sunflower seeds.... They also had a navy bean soup as an appetizer.
  • Desperate perhaps, but not many of you. Remember Green Paradise? Vegan and raw. Couldn't make it and closed. I do agree there could be a vegetarian option, but why a vegan would even think of eating at a place called Beast... that's what I don't get.
  • Subject: vegan dessert?!

beast is cool. have you guys been or what? there was a vegan brownie dessert special....and it was mmmmmmmm good. had some yum cherries with it.
  • Subject: Re: vegan dessert?!

skip wrote: beast is cool. have you guys been or what? there was a vegan brownie dessert special....and it was mmmmmmmm good. had some yum cherries with it.

What? Are you friggin serious?! Ok, going tonight.
  • Subject: Re: Time Out New York Write-up

Big Fan wrote: Congratulations on the write-up in Time Out New York!! Only open a couple of weeks and you've already gotten a great review. Where most others are listed in an inch square section, you managed to get a quarter page with photo. Way to go!!

I hear that Zagat Brooklyn has also contacted you.....I guess the word is out.

If you haven't tried the food yet, you'd better hurry before they're lining up in the street to get in.

Time out writes up restaurants when they open up. The square sections is for restaurants that have already been written up in the opening section. Zagat contacts everyone. That is how they sell their book.
    The word is out if you get written up a second time in Time Out as a topic, such as a featured food item. Just stating the facts.
  • Subject: Re: Time Out New York Write-up

guest wrote: Time out writes up restaurants when they open up. The square sections is for restaurants that have already been written up in the opening section. Zagat contacts everyone. That is how they sell their book.
    The word is out if you get written up a second time in Time Out as a topic, such as a featured food item. Just stating the facts.

jeeh, does someone have issues with others' success?
  • yea, i saw that. they review is pretty right on. some good stuff, some stuff that needs work. i imagine opening up a new place takes some time to perfect. i'm willing to give the Beast the benefit of the doubt...especially because i am slightly addicted to the "crack" bread :shock:
  • i was there on opening night. they were so rude and painfully pseudo-hip that it left a bad enough first impression on me that i will most likely never go back.

also: the sight of the cooks hacking raw chickens in half and piling em on the grill isnt something i wanna see while having an overpriced drink.
  • I popped in on opening night as well and didn't like the 'sphere. However I went back a couple of nights ago and had a really friendly waitress who was quite nice and accomodating about my annoying veganism. My hubby for a burger who's bun didn't quite fit the burger and a paltry amount of potatoes on the side. We probably won't go back, it is way to expensive for the hood, but had to try it and if you've got money to burn I guess it's a nice special occasion type of place.
  • Isa wrote: if you've got money to burn I guess it's a nice special occasion type of place.

yeah, i guess. i had just really hoped (assumed?) that with a name like "beast" and a ghetto sign in the window advertising "a shot and a rheingold" it might be more, well, seedy and neighborhoody and shit, you know, maybe with a jukebox or pool or something fun...an ironic divebar, if you will, to balance out those nights when soda is a little too chi-chi or fratboy-filled to enjoy- not a pretentious crowd with waitstaff that demand you "get on the list" before being seated... even when the place is clearly virtually empty.

and, they dont have beer on tap. bad idea.
  • rhodamine wrote: not a pretentious crowd with waitstaff that demand you "get on the list" before being seated... even when the place is clearly virtually empty

They did?! That is just crazy, definitely a way to insure that people will not be coming back.
  • Actually, Beast does have 4-5 beers on tap. Beers are only $3 during happy hour. I really enjoyed the burger particularly the homemade ketchup but agree with you that they need to work on the bun.

While the bartender is nice she definitely needs to learn more about making cocktails...she's not a mixologist.
  • DeeDee wrote: Actually, Beast does have 4-5 beers on tap.

huh! well, i guess i was only there on opening night... maybe they didnt have the taps going yet... i thyink it was only bottles. but alas, i didnt stick around long enough to take specific notice, really.
  • Rhodamine-
    Are you a histologist/pathologist?
  • Carnivore wrote: Rhodamine-
    Are you a histologist/pathologist?

yup :) thus the name.
  • rhodamine wrote: ... i was only there on opening night..with waitstaff that demand you "get on the list" before being seated... even when the place is clearly virtually empty...i was only there on opening night..

i've been several times and the only time we had to be on a list was to wait for a table on a busy friday night?? and the crowd was a mix of yuppies w/ babies, hipsters and local neighborhood rez. pretty much sums up the PH area. are we talking about the same place??
  • i was in late last night for a bite and the waitress stopped with a handful of dirty plates and asked where i would like to sit, i chose the bar since i was alon and then i proceeded to have to choose from several great beers. i got a leffe on tap. when i ordered a second beer the bartender informed me it was happy hour after 11, and it was $3. maybe day 1 of a new joint is not the best time to review it!
  • i went there last nigh with my boyfriend, and we really liked it!
    that bread was fantastic, even soothing on my pollen addled throat. the wine list seemd a bit pricey at first (by the glass) but, they give you one of those little mini-carafe things that holds far more than one glass.
    the slacto-ovo veggy options, though a bit limited were very very good. the potatoes were sort of a mash-and cheese baked casserole type thing...different than any other tapas place i've been to, but exceedingly tasty. we also had the escarole dish, and the arugula/fennel/feta salad. which were both to die for, even though there were sultanas in the escarole. as for dessert, the grilled bananas with homemade pistachio icecream covered in caramle sauce was utterly gorgeous! the also make a mean, but somewhat too sweet mojito.

right so overall:
    its a really good tapas place, still hasn't knocked allioli off the top of the mountain, but its much cheaper than allioli, and closer.

shit, i'm just happy i don't have to go all the way into the slope to get some decent non-takeoutey eats. i'd never checked out vanderbilt ave before, and now i have been schooled.
  • Subject: Opening of the Beast

The idea of homemade pistachio ice cream sure got my attention. Unfortunately I live in Tennessee, so it may be a few days before I can get there! I saw the review in the NY Times, WOW, a ¼ page, now that is impressive. I’ll have to make a special trip to NY to try the food for myself. Can’t wait to get there. Debbie, best of luck in the new venture.
    Ron from Tennessee
  • Subject: Re: Opening of the Beast

Ron wrote: The idea of homemade pistachio ice cream sure got my attention. Unfortunately I live in Tennessee, so it may be a few days before I can get there! I saw the review in the NY Times, WOW, a ¼ page, now that is impressive. I’ll have to make a special trip to NY to try the food for myself. Can’t wait to get there. Debbie, best of luck in the new venture.
    Ron from Tennessee

heh im from tennessee originally, also. what part?
  • just wanted to add, i went there opening night as well and well, a lot of people were just wating for the doors to open so i imagine it was quite overwhelming to them, i'm a waiter and i felt sorely bad for them. i went backa couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Definitley larger than tradtitional tapas which makes it actually quite a good value in my book.

I suggest 3 things for 2 people, and so on. The potatoes are super good but quite filling for the amount you get.

Tap beers DO EXIST and are super fresh, double happy hour you say, I'm checking it out! I could use a cheap beer late night, especially a Leffe!

oops i babbled
  • cinco de mayo at beast was, er, smashing!
  • Subject: Re: Opening of the Beast

rhodamine wrote: [quote=Ron]The idea of homemade pistachio ice cream sure got my attention. Unfortunately I live in Tennessee, so it may be a few days before I can get there! I saw the review in the NY Times, WOW, a ¼ page, now that is impressive. I’ll have to make a special trip to NY to try the food for myself. Can’t wait to get there. Debbie, best of luck in the new venture.
    Ron from Tennessee

heh im from tennessee originally, also. what part?

Rhodamine; I'm currently living in Jamestown, on the Cumberland Plateau, before that Nashville.
  • Isa wrote: it would actually be very positive for just one restaurant to include an option or two for the many veggies in the area. We are a desperate bunch at this point!

totally! theres nothing more un-appetizing than going in to have a beer and seeing piles and piles of fetid, broiling meat being shoved around, heh...

in tastier news, we discovered that the kind bartenders at beast will serve you a hot toddy if you ask... pefrect for rainy/cold days like today :D
  • Anonymous wrote: [quote=Isa] it would actually be very positive for just one restaurant to include an option or two for the many veggies in the area. We are a desperate bunch at this point!

totally! theres nothing more un-appetizing than going in to have a beer and seeing piles and piles of fetid, broiling meat being shoved around, heh...

in tastier news, we discovered that the kind bartenders at beast will serve you a hot toddy if you ask... pefrect for rainy/cold days like today :D

shit, that last one was me. why do i always forget to login? argh!! :x
  • Are s'mores vegan? Cause if not, their s'more desert alone would turn me from vegan to meatan - if i were vegan to begin with. Let's see - graham crackers, big pile of melted gooey marshmallows, creamer full of chocolate...doesn't sound like meat to me!!!
  • susan wrote: melted gooey marshmallows, creamer full of chocolate...doesn't sound like meat to me!!!

marshmallows are made with gelatin, which is neither vegan nor vegetarian, fyi...

mmm, boiled hoofs, bones and skin! :shock:
  • Subject: thnk

rhodamine wrote: .. kind bartenders at beast will serve you a hot toddy if you ask...

whats a hot toddy? I may need one.
  • Subject: Re: thnk

Captain Marvelous wrote: whats a hot toddy? I may need one.

http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/4031

served hot :D
  • rhodamine wrote:

mmm, boiled hoofs, bones and skin! :shock:

correction...melted boiled hoofs, bones and skin.
    our general dentition suggest that our ancestor were omnivores.
  • Anonymous wrote:

geez...you must live in a bubble to avoid seeing that day in and day out. this is the same kind of -centric attitude that is going on in our government.
  • Anonymous wrote:
    our general dentition suggest that our ancestor were omnivores.

good thing our dining preferences depend more on personal tastes than survival now, eh? ;)
  • true, however nature is not directional. and with the impending revolution on the horizon....?

just being devil's advocate. i eat meat, off the bone b/c it creeps me out, but i am a skinny bitch who needs to remain on a meat and potato diet or risk disappearing. doctor's orders.
  • Anonymous wrote: true, however nature is not directional. and with the impending revolution on the horizon....?

oooooooook.
  • josh p. wrote: geez...you must live in a bubble to avoid seeing that day in and day out. this is the same kind of -centric attitude that is going on in our government.

-centric? its not anything-centric. its just a matter of personal taste, as i dont like eating meat. a meat eater who hates beer could say the same thing, eh?

and what does meat and beer have to do with our government? that one confused me a bit.
  • You know, how the government is trying to make everyone go vegan I guess?
  • Oh but Rhod, Beast has amazing roasted veggies. Soooo good.
  • Isa wrote: Oh but Rhod, Beast has amazing roasted veggies. Soooo good.

awesome! do they grill em on the meat grill though? ill have to check it out. that way i dont have to walk to pina's to get a 2$ cockroach.. er, i mean *cheese* sandwich after a night of boozing back and forth between soda and beast!
  • rhodamine wrote: [quote=Isa]Oh but Rhod, Beast has amazing roasted veggies. Soooo good.

awesome! do they grill em on the meat grill though? ill have to check it out. that way i dont have to walk to pina's to get a 2$ cockroach.. er, i mean *cheese* sandwich after a night of boozing back and forth between soda and beast!
    No, they don't touch the grill, they're roasted! They were actually really veg friendly when I went, I guess some of the employees are vegetarian.
  • Isa wrote: [quote=rhodamine][quote=Isa]Oh but Rhod, Beast has amazing roasted veggies. Soooo good.

No, they don't touch the grill, they're roasted! They were actually really veg friendly when I went, I guess some of the employees are vegetarian.

sweet. add to that their typewriter and tapper, and im hooked already!
  • Ate at Beast twice last week.

What I liked:

Happy hour. 3 dollar tap beer RULZ! (NB:"RULZ" is not yet a banned phrase, therefore I am grandfathered from any moderator reprisals.)

The lamb. Very tender, very delicious. It's my favorite dish so it's the sine qua non by which I judge restaurants.

The TV's. This is a bit random, but the happened to playing The Goonies when I was in there, and how can you not enjoy that, even without the sound?

What I did not like:

The cost to portion size ratio. This was more of an issue the second time I went. When you order the steamed littlenecks, you get like, what, 6? That's not an entree, folks. That's an appetizer. I also had the Scallops special; again, delicious, but there were only four. I ended up dropping $35 on dinner, and then having to get pizza two hours later.

In short, if you can afford to eat out all the time, I'm sure Beast is great. If you need value for money, you're better off drinking at Beast and eating elsewhere.
  • Isn't Beast supposed to be Tapas style? I think thats why you were pissed about the portion size.
  • pensodyssey wrote: If you need value for money, you're better off drinking at Beast and eating elsewhere.

when i need value for money, i stay at home and eat ramen and drink schlitz.

when i wanna go out for a nice time, i go get wasted at beast after work and play Tapper! :twisted:
  • "RULZ" is not yet a banned phrase

I like it... has an "80's Metal" feel to it.

NOT BANNED
  • dailyheights wrote:
    "RULZ" is not yet a banned phrase

NOT BANNED

then let me go on record as saying that tara, who keeps bar at beast, rulz.

she is the reason that me and mine cant remember sinko de mayo!
  • dailyheights wrote:
    "RULZ" is not yet a banned phrase

NOT BANNED

Dailyheights RULZ! All the rest of you are RETARTS!!

when i need value for money, i stay at home and eat ramen and drink schlitz.

when i wanna go out for a nice time, i go get wasted at beast after work and play Tapper!

I hear ya... although I usually get a pound of chicken legs for a 2 bucks to go with the Schlitz.

then let me go on record as saying that tara, who keeps bar at beast, rulz.

she is the reason that me and mine cant remember sinko de mayo!

Is she the one with the busy blond hair? I agree, she was a very accomodating bartender.
  • i went out to beast for a late night happy hour beer on monday evening...expecting a nice cold refreshing time away from the darn heat...unfortunately their AC wasn't working...BUT alas they had some great performers at their open mic. i normally don't dig those events but since only one room was air conditioned i had to endure and was very surprised!!!

definately going back monday...and yesterday i saw a huge crane hoisting an AC onto their roof...sweet! they said it'd be kicking over the weekend...
  • went to beast last night... wife had the shrimp/peppers, which i cant vouch for, but the sauteed escarole i had, as well as the grilled veggies were really freaking good. it was like eating parsnip french fries.

after working all day, its nice to walk up the street and have a tasty bite to eat and a coupla beers.

i didnt like beast at first- bad first impression- but i think im sold now :D
  • I went to Beast once and probably won't be back. The menu looks good on paper but nothing we had was prepared well--paradoxically, dishes were both oversalted and flavorless. The ribs, for instance, had no discernable flavor despite being said to be braised in guiness. Odd. The music was also annoyingly loud. Service was super-friendly though.

Speaking of PH food, I second what someone said on another topic about Amorina: the worst pizza crust I've ever had!
  • The Guiness-braised ribs have been panned by everyone from you to the New York Times (or was that New York Sun?). But I think the general verdict is that Beast "rocks." (disclaimer: have not been there)
  • not everyone has panned the ribs.
    http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profile/41664435/brooklyn_ny/beast.html

i love em'. they remind me of home...england. and the music rocks...unless you're not into indie rock, classic rock and oh in general rock. guess the joint is not for everyone...cause if it was then everyone would be there and that would be annoying.
  • Last time I was at Beast they were playing New Order.
  • Subject: whats with brunch?

I saw a sign out today as i was walking past beast that they were serving brunch.Has anyone gone yet???Couldn't stop in because of the pups.
  • Going in for brunch today. I can't wait!!! I saw a preview of the brunch menu and there's something for everyone. I know the food will be delicious, since everything I've had there in the past has been GREAT!!

....and I did check on the A/C issue. It's up and running!!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook