The former Associated (ass_c_a_ed) on Underhill:
  • I've requested the remaining letters of the as_oc_i_ted, want one?

For those of you who are not aware, the run down former Associated on Underhill (323 St. John's) has closed, and will soon re-open as an organic fruit and veggie store.

To me, the event symbolizes the final blow to the previous version of my corner of Prospect Heights. As one walks on Underhill, Sepia (and the resturant next door) arrived a few years ago, and an ice cream place recently opened. Further down the street is the stroller filled Underhill playground.

Is the demise of As_oc_ated an event to celebrate or mourn?

It doesn't matter, as the subtitle reports, I've requested the remaining letters (plastic, gross, perhaps roach infested...). The contractor said "sure, they come off next week and I'll save 'em for you"

If I end up actually getting them, I hereby pledge to give them to anyone interested in celebrating (or mourning) the end of an era on Underhill.

If you'd like one, post how you will sterilize them, and display them proudly.... assuming the contractor follows thru as planned, the letters will be given away at Sepia next week.... [/b]
  • can I have the O and C? hint, real name. if I can only have one, I want O.

I will put one or both above my ac in my front window. sterilization .... not sure. scrub with hippy orange cleaner?
  • oh, and I'm pretty sure I know who will be demanding either an S or the C.
  • They are all yours. I am also pleased to report that the place has been completely gutted, even the joists that support the floor were removed. None of the expired, dusty cans remain. The bullet proof and shatter proof plexi glass windows will soon be replaced.

I'll soon post a picture of the letters... but didn't have a camera on me when I was talking with the contractor.
  • Damn, too late for me to request the a and the two s's, then, isn't it?
  • alafairnadia wrote: oh, and I'm pretty sure I know who will be demanding either an S or the C.

That would be me.

Do you think they could be convinced to put up "CAT OASIS" on St Johns between Washington and Underhill?
  • I will miss the old look.

• because I have none of the letters actually in my possession yet, I will simply state that folks should express an interest ...If and when I get them, they will be given away promptly.

I would never think of keeping such essential artifacts of the old Prospect Heights to myself...
  • ha. I still have a yucky wound on my boob from my last cat rescue attempt (fueled by certain someones who can own up or not). thank god for soap, water and neosporin.

in any case. I still want the O and the C but I'll take the O if that's the last choice, especially if C is willing to give up an S to give a666 ASS. ;)
  • Carnivore, you are the man! Saved me a trip back to Underhill!
  • alafairnadia wrote: ha. I still have a yucky wound on my boob from my last cat rescue attempt (fueled by certain someones who can own up or not). thank god for soap, water and neosporin.

in any case. I still want the O and the C but I'll take the O if that's the last choice, especially if C is willing to give up an S to give a666 ASS. ;)

Well there are 4 S's, so there should still be 2 for A666 even if I get one.
  • they will be distributed fairly, but people who have stories of how they will clean or display the items will be given preference.

Carnivore, will they let you use the autoclave for us?
  • I don't think the letters need to be sterilized. What are people planning on doing with them?

With the caveat that the letters are for external use only, I think a hose and a soapy sponge should be plenty to clean them off.
  • Subject: What you can spell with all the letters (SSOC ATED SSOCI ED)

What you can spell if you get all letters (SSOC ATED SSOCI ED): http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=ssoc+ated+ssoci+ed&t=1000

Some of my favorites:
    Access Dodo Sites
    Cased Discos Toes
    Sadist Cocos Seed
  • ooh. there are two Cs? I WANT an O and a C. insane. I know. that other person can have his S's unless someone wants to beat him down.
  • I would love to get a C or an S or really any one of those letters. I will patiently wait in the seniority line and await any crumbs that may pass.
  • I had no idea there would be such interest! If the PH historical district becomes a reality, surely they will want any letters that go unclaimed. If only I had purchased the last 40 oz beer they sold ...that would have really been worth something!
  • oh wow. i'd love a letter -- any one will do, as my initials aren't among them or anything. (well, the middle one's an s, but those seem spoken for, and i'm not that invested.)

i just love that place.
  • whynot_31 wrote: I had no idea there would be such interest! If the PH historical district becomes a reality, surely they will want any letters that go unclaimed. If only I had purchased the last 40 oz beer they sold ...that would have really been worth something!

Actually, if it becomes a reality, I don't think anyone will be able to display them.
  • I'd settle for just a C, as that's my first initial. Either way, whether I were to get a C or A-S-S, I'd be putting it up on my living room wall between my Russ Meyer's Super Vixens poster and my swirly Jesus mirror light.
  • Give me SOHO... oh, sheit, no H.

Okay, I'll take any letter I can get my hands on. And I surely would not sterilize it- that would defeat the purpose. They would probably disintegrate if sterilized.

It's too bad this is happening before landmarking. It would have been great to have a government agency enforcing keeping the sign exactly as it was.
  • raulism wrote: Give me SOHO... oh, sheit, no H.

Okay, I'll take any letter I can get my hands on. And I surely would not sterilize it- that would defeat the purpose. They would probably disintegrate if sterilized.

It's too bad this is happening before landmarking. It would have been great to have a government agency enforcing keeping the sign exactly as it was.

what if you ....*gasp* .... die?!?!???!?!
  • whynot_31 wrote: because I have none of the letters actually in my possession yet, I will simply state that folks should express an interest ...If and when I get them, they will be given away promptly.

If you can pull this off, you'll automatically get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize in the Most Awesome Post contest (that's 3 bottles of vodka).

I would never think of keeping such essential artifacts of the old Prospect Heights to myself...

I really hate to see the letters broken up. Maybe you should give them to the Impact Theater and they can display them stage-left and stage-right.
  • Subject: associated

Thats too bad... It is an end of an era in a sense.

The owners were really nice. Did anyone else befriend them? They were really helpful, talkative, understanding of late nite and early AM needs. I wonder if they are opening a store elsewhere?

Anyone know?

----------------------
    CHECK OUT MY MOVING SALE AD (Pier 1/Ikea furniture):
    http://newyork.gumtree.com/newyork/92/24884292.html
    -----------------------
  • Based on an actual ASSOCIATED encounter:

Customer: "Do you have O'Douls Beer?"
    Sammy: "What?? Abdul's Beer?"
    Customer: "No. O'DOULS Beer."
    Sammy: "Oh! I was confused. 'cause you know, Abdul don't drink."
  • That's interesting... I have to say, I've never had a misunderstanding w them. But then again, I never buy beer. ;)

But we (the owners and me) have had many a laugh over amusing anecdotes about how the neighborhood was changing; the increase in White people in the hood, especially those who ask for things no one else ever asked for (perhaps like O'Doul's Beer?). They were always good natured in their amusement, and in the end, glad for the increased business.

How ironic that it wasnt good enough, and an organic veg place is taking over.

----------------------
    CHECK OUT MY MOVING SALE AD (Pier 1/Ikea furniture):
    http://newyork.gumtree.com/newyork/92/24884292.html
    -----------------------
  • the stakes are now raised! I may get free, off brand, flavored vodka for befriending said contractor! I can't think of a place that will let me drink vodka from elsewhere while I give away letters, but the challenge has expanded.

Sepia has their own vodka, they probably won't let me bring Daily Height's.
  • Subject: Re: associated

siren wrote: Thats too bad... It is an end of an era in a sense.

The owners were really nice. Did anyone else befriend them? They were really helpful, talkative, understanding of late nite and early AM needs. I wonder if they are opening a store elsewhere?

Anyone know?

I believe they are just re-opening a new & improved store in the same location. They're not leaving...just cleaning & renovating...a lot. Does anyone know otherwise?

arches wrote: [quote=siren]Thats too bad... It is an end of an era in a sense.

Anyone know?

I believe they are just re-opening a new & improved store in the same location. They're not leaving...just cleaning & renovating...a lot. Does anyone know otherwise?
    The old owners seem to be there a lot supervising the contractors. I can't imagine why they'd be doing that if they weren't keeping the place.
  • what if we drank rootbeer vodka, while admiring our plastic letters and eating chicken rings, at midnight in front of the former gourmet As_ocia_ted?

Would the effect of the sight of us be more powerful then the mortgage crisis? Would it stop PH gentrification in its tracks? Would the few people who have bought in the Meir bldg demand their money back?

Would the owners change their mind about organic fruit and bring back our beloved Ass_c_iat_d?
  • whynot_31 wrote: what if we drank rootbeer vodka, while admiring our plastic letters and eating chicken rings, at midnight in front of the former gourmet As_ocia_ted?

Would the effect of the sight of us be more powerful then the mortgage crisis? Would it stop PH gentrification in its tracks? Would the few people who have bought in the Meir bldg demand their money back?

Would the owners change their mind about organic fruit and bring back our beloved Ass_c_iat_d?

it woudl be so cool if that giant barbie showed up again. I first found that outside the not associated in a garbage can (with carnivore - we posed her). then that barbie moved east to an apt on park btwn underhill and washington and then somehow outside of a666's building. that would be so cool if she came back.
  • When I asked the owners what was up, he said they were just doing a complete renovation, but didn't indicate that ownership was changing at all.

On a side note, the other day I was walking with a blind woman across Underhill on that corner.. she was about to walk into Ssocated, of course not seeing that it had been gutted (it was when the floor was out too, and the door was open so it was a close call). We walked instead to that other bodega on sterling, which she hadn't even known was there. The owner of that spot held my dog while we did her shopping (i've always liked that spot too). Anyway, it made me think about how neighborhood changes affect everyone, but some so much more than others. This woman who has been in the neighborhood for years had developed a pattern that let her do her shopping independently. Every renovation and store closing in the neighborhood forces her to re-wire and adapt her life completely.
  • dailyheights wrote: Based on an actual ASSOCIATED encounter:

Customer: "Do you have O'Douls Beer?"
    Sammy: "What?? Abdul's Beer?"
    Customer: "No. O'DOULS Beer."
    Sammy: "Oh! I was confused. 'cause you know, Abdul don't drink."

Obviously, this is not the Abdul I know and love who (for now) lives on Prospect Place.
  • Abdul is welcome.

I will continue to stalk the contractor, waiting for the awning guys to come next week.
  • Here's the t-shirt I made through cafepress:

http://www.cafepress.com/associated

arches wrote: [quote=siren]Thats too bad... It is an end of an era in a sense.

Anyone know?

Def still Sammy and Charlie running the joint. They've been there since the '70's and own several buildings on the block - if they got rid of that store I & their other tenants would have no idea how to get the rent to them, as every month for over five years I've handed my check straight across the bodega counter!
  • just to prove my devotion, here are a couple of pics from last summer:

i think the letters are different styles on the two streets. i love the rounded ones on the underhill side most.
  • Although the styles vary, the beauty of the letters cannot be disputed. Now that everyone is psyched for them, I seriously hope the contractor removes them with the care they deserve.

...at first glance he may think they are only of value to me (some strange guy he met once)
  • I've always read that sign as 'DISSOCIATED'

Especially the Underhill side closer to CRAZY LANE...

That boxy letter someone painted there looks like a D. :D

/Yep I'm crazier than a bedbug
  • I would love a C, if you get one! :alien:
    I want to put it in my yard!
  • the letters are definitely not on the building any longer as of 10pm thurs night.
  • Thanks. I will stop by in the morning to see if he saved them for me. He was originally going to just have them covered by the awning, but said he would take them off and save them for me.

Hopefully a hefty bag of letters awaits me in the AM!
  • I can confirm that the letters are definitely down.
  • I stopped by this morning ..the letters were down (as reported above) but the contractor was not present. I will be vigilant: I will stop by after work around 5.

However, I will be out of down this weekend. Further stalking of the contractor to see whether he is a man of his word will have to wait until Monday... I continue to have faith that there is a hefty bag full of letters being held for "some strange white guy who wants them for some unknown reason" (an accurate description).
  • I feel like I'm on Wheel of Fortune:

Can I buy a C and an S please?

As they are my initials :flower:
  • I would like to go on record that I was the first to ask for a C and an S, but if necessary, I'll settle for the S.
  • it is with great sadness that I report the following:

I met with the contractor today, and the firm doing the electrical (an Asian firm) would like the letters. One of the employees of the Asian firm took them down last night, asked the lead contractor if he could keep 'em to use on another job and and the lead contractor said they were all his.

Brutal. Perhaps things would have turned out different if I was better looking....

To end on a positive note:
    The 3 bottles of flavored vodka remain up for grabs.
    Quality renovation is being done to one of our local stores, part of the contractor's payment was plastic letters.

To end on a neutral note:
    In about 2 weeks we are about to have a fancy grocery where once there was an Associated missing letters.
  • Very sad. I had noticed it was closed but never thought it was closed for good, just that the owners were on vacation! Here's my photo-document contribution, also from last summer. Would have tried to get a better shot a few days ago, if only I'd read this board sooner!

_SSOC_ATED, 8.2007
  • Bummer. But it was very cool of you to try for 'em for us, whynot!
  • i weep.

but thanks for the awesome effort.
  • yes, excellent team spirit.

the ssoci'd sign will always live in our hearts.

new task: see if you can spot/discover where the letters end up....

maybe that's more of a quest than a task.
  • Subject: Associated

I just read your post and am sad to hear of the closing. as the owner of Bar Sepia, i would be happy to take the letters from the Associated and will find a place to display them in the bar. Just for the record, Bar Sepia has been open since 2004.
  • greetings Delissa, it is I (owner of dude) ...the letters went elsewhere, see above.

...but, yes, the letters would have looked great in Sepia if there had not been such mass interest.
  • Subject: associated letters

good news: the letters are staying with the store. they will be hung up inside the newly renovated store, which will still be run by sammy and charlie. it will still be the same store you know and love, but bigger, better, cleaner, organic and less smelly. :)
  • mosleem, how do you know this? ...and did they make this decision after learning of how "beloved" the letters were to the locals?

...I did state to the lead contractor that I was going to give them away to friends who wanted them. ...this was prior to the letters being claimed by the Asian contractor. ...the owners changed their mind about giving them away to anyone?
  • I am Mohamed Charlie's son(The boy in the picture on the first page of this topic), i have no idea what we were going to do with the letters before we found about about this forum. But we decided to put the letters inside the store for decoration because of its historical significance :lol: .
    so yes we did decide to do this after we found out how precious they were to the local shoppers. i assume that the contractor claimed them just so people can stop bothering him. So Charlie decided to keep the letters and hang them up inside the store after learning about this forum. the letters will be kept together and not split up.
  • That the letters will remain in the neighborhood is great! May I suggest that they be displayed in such a way that we can rearrange them - like the letters on the former movie theater on Flatbush? We may need to be told not to use the A S and S in this combination.
  • mosleem! this is amazing news! i got all verklempt. ya'll rock.
  • Thats funny ..ya we will have magnetic boards and the letters of the store for people to mix up....just messin
  • mosleem wrote: But we decided to put the letters inside the store for decoration because of its historical significance :lol: .
    so yes we did decide to do this after we found out how precious they were to the local shoppers.

Soopa cool!
  • Indeed, mosleem rocks. The fact that the letters will be remain visible to all ...and be an inside joke to those who remember the store before renovation... is far better than having them come seperately with us.

When will it re-open?

Will it get an official name? Or should we refer to it "Sammy and Charlie's bigger, better, organic and less smelly version of the former Associated" ...I personally love this name!
  • it should have its grand opening on Labor day ....or around that time its official name would be
    "ST JOHN'S MARKETPLACE" i think your name fits the store better but its all good
  • FYI, there's no period or apostrophe in St Johns (look at the sign).
  • ...and marketplace is one word.

but i love idiosyncratic store names, so no worries. :)
  • I think its safe to say that far more people will buy fruits and veggies in our gentrified neighborhood.

...the years of 40s and junk food seemed to have served you well though.

I wonder who will be easier to deal with:
    People who wanted yet another 40 oz, or people who will want thier veggies to be of the perfect color, shape and ripeness.

You'll have to let us know...
  • ...and hopefully you mean Labor Day, and not Memorial Day.

Right?
  • OK, enough nitpicking though (I know I started it). I hope you'll continue to carry all the basics, because I hadn't realize how much I relied on your store until you were closed. I can't wait until you guys are open again.
  • I loved the old dissociated store and I miss it!!!! I was friends with the black and white store cat, who tried to beat up my pit bull a number of times.

Can't wait til it opens again!!!!!
    My dog, not so much.
  • just wanted to give everyone an update - saw them moving in those custom made refridgerators/coolers today. looks like associated will be re-opened pretty soon!
  • I saw those coolers being delivered this morning. I cannot wait for them to reopen.
  • i hope so, but i also hope it doesnt all all EXPENSIVE and over fancy
  • But we all know the real question on everyone's mind...

is there ham in those coolers?
  • rockhound wrote: I loved the old dissociated store and I miss it!!!! I was friends with the black and white store cat, who tried to beat up my pit bull a number of times.

My dog, not so much.

Cat piss? You miss the smell of cat piss?

:P
  • GOD wrote: [quote=rockhound]I loved the old dissociated store and I miss it!!!! I was friends with the black and white store cat, who tried to beat up my pit bull a number of times.

My dog, not so much.

hey, all things bright and beautiful, all creatures, great and small, gotta piss sometime. blame the engineer. :P
  • sweet tea wrote: [quote=GOD][quote=rockhound]I loved the old dissociated store and I miss it!!!! I was friends with the black and white store cat, who tried to beat up my pit bull a number of times.

My dog, not so much.

hey, all things bright and beautiful, all creatures, great and small, gotta piss sometime. blame the engineer. :P

:lol:
  • Cat piss was indeed part of the allure. ...as was the bending shelving, dirty glass, and missing letters. (see photos above)

Gutting it was the right choice. Any chance we'll get a nice awning out of the deal?

"St. John's Marketplace: formerly Ass_c_ia_ed" works for me.
  • Subject: re: associated

I love the idea of the supermarket letters scattered throughout the neighborhood. I'm putting in a request for one of the letters if there are any left (and if you get them at all). I'd love the "e". I'm a dumpster diver from way back, so I can certainly clean it up and hang it in a place of honor. It will go great with the rest of my "found" decor!
  • see above, as per owner's son, the letters are to be posted inside the store
  • I love the smell of cat piss in the morning.
  • Sign is up! Saw the new coolers and floors going in this weekend....
  • yup, we can only hope they make good on thier promise to display the old letters on the inside.
  • I left Brooklyn but my friends just emailed me a photo of the storefront so I rushed over here to see if it was still Sammy's. He has been talking about renovations for like 10 years! I'm happy that they finally did it. I guess they were just waiting for me to move.
  • Isa wrote: I left Brooklyn but my friends just emailed me a photo of the storefront so I rushed over here to see if it was still Sammy's. He has been talking about renovations for like 10 years! I'm happy that they finally did it. I guess they were just waiting for me to move.

Say it ain't so, Isa! Where did you move to?
  • jeffrey wrote: But we all know the real question on everyone's mind...

is there ham in those coolers?

I know this is an inside joke, I'm a n3wb and so on the outside, but I have to ask?

What is the deal with the ham/coolers?
  • Lo Kee wrote:

I know this is an inside joke, I'm a n3wb and so on the outside, but I have to ask?

What is the deal with the ham/coolers?

http://brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=342542&highlight=#342542

:lol:
  • clearly the thread is in a slow period until the store actually opens.

Can one can always count on a question regarding the future presence of ham (and the accompanying speculation on whether the absence of ham is an endorsement of female circumcision) to bring a thread back to life?

Was anyone brave enough to buy ham at the prior Ass_c_ated?
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Isa]I left Brooklyn but my friends just emailed me a photo of the storefront so I rushed over here to see if it was still Sammy's. He has been talking about renovations for like 10 years! I'm happy that they finally did it. I guess they were just waiting for me to move.

Say it ain't so, Isa! Where did you move to?
    Oh yeah, my rent went up once again and I decided fuck it. The Brooklyn we grew up in is gone and whatever has been replacing it just isn't worth 2000 bucks a month. I moved to Portland and I have a garden and zero bullshit. But my family is still there so I'll see you around I'm sure.
  • ^^^ she really moved because of the ping pong thrashing that I owed her.
  • /
    !!
    Yeah.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • I've lost a little weight since that photo was taken...
  • hmm... few days ago

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usimage
  • it's like we'll have blog record of its evolution...

Since this photo was taken, someone removed the gangmafia tag from the left awning (where it is above), only to have it re-appear two nights later on the door awning.

If the owners erase the door one, will the tagger continue on their leftward trend?
  • well its kinda wack they have those kind of gates. because if kids/adults come thru and hit the gates the paint gets on the windows of the store.. and i doubt the "gangmaf" peeps will hit the store again. its kinda useless
  • The only thing that seems to work is cleaning off or painting over the Tag.
    Doing it the next day. Over and over again.

The small brained offender that did it will get tired and move on.
  • It seems to have been known as Lincoln Beauty Shop in 1924

underhill-avenue-looking-north-from-st-john-s-place-to-sterling-place-1924-8

323 St. Johns place
  • The photos of the disassociated seem to not have made the transition from this site's prior platform to the current one.

That's ok, I am not defeated easily...

associated 2
    assoicated

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook