SPLIT from j'ouvert thread: all the non-j'ouvert discussion - Brooklynian

SPLIT from j'ouvert thread: all the non-j'ouvert discussion

JAH wrote: [quote=Carnivore]
You post 5 articles over the past 5 years, most of which were about the parade itself, not J'ouvert, as if that proves your point? There is violence at the parade (mostly off route) and at J'ouvert (also mostly off route). The parade has over 2 million people, larger than most cities in the U.S. With that many people, there are going to be incidents, as there would in any cohort of 2 million people. You're looking at the numerator and ignoring the denominator. It's total fear-mongering and has nothing to do with the reality of about 99.9999% of people's experience with the parade.
THANK YOU!
Also if shit does happen, 9 times out of 10 it is PERSONAL. Somebody owes $, somebody fucked someones woman, etc. Nothing will happen to a random stranger unless they are incredibly disrespectful or something.

Hear hear.

Comments

  • brooklynleather wrote: Wait can someone please tell me what J'OUVERT is and when the West Indian parade it -- and where the straight pride parade is so I can AVOID it

    Thanks!
    i really think you are not brooklyn material at all.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=brooklynleather]Wait can someone please tell me what J'OUVERT is and when the West Indian parade it -- and where the straight pride parade is so I can AVOID it

    Thanks!
    i really think you are not brooklyn material at all.

    I think wanting to avoid the "straight pride parade" nonsense is quite reasonable.
  • Emily wrote:
    I think wanting to avoid the "straight pride parade" nonsense is quite reasonable.
    This seems to be a board full of gays.
    brooklynleather is scared of everywhere and everything though. thats why i said that.
  • JAH wrote: This seems to be a board full of gays.
    My wife would disagree with you.

    I sometimes get the sense that a lot of these rabidly homophobic Blacks would be equally rabid racists if they weren't Black themselves.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=JAH]This seems to be a board full of gays.
    My wife would disagree with you.

    I sometimes get the sense that a lot of these rabidly homophobic Blacks would be equally rabid racists if they weren't Black themselves.
    you have no respect for anyone's culture but your own. sad.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=Carnivore][quote=JAH]This seems to be a board full of gays.
    My wife would disagree with you.

    I sometimes get the sense that a lot of these rabidly homophobic Blacks would be equally rabid racists if they weren't Black themselves.
    you have no respect for anyone's culture but your own. sad.
    I have plenty of respect for other cultures. I have no respect for bigotry masquerading as "culture."
    SMH.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=brooklynleather]Wait can someone please tell me what J'OUVERT is and when the West Indian parade it -- and where the straight pride parade is so I can AVOID it

    Thanks!
    i really think you are not brooklyn material at all.

    right. because new york city is known far and wide for its conservative social politics and the homogeneity of its residents.
  • sweet tea wrote:

    right. because new york city is known far and wide for its conservative social politics and the homogeneity of its residents.
    no because brooklynleather seems to be scared of everywhere everyone and everything
  • JAH wrote: [quote=sweet tea]

    right. because new york city is known far and wide for its conservative social politics and the homogeneity of its residents.
    no because brooklynleather seems to be scared of everywhere everyone and everything

    JAH, you've been posting here all of six days. Brooklynleather has been posting here for a year and a half. Based on what I've seen of her posts over that time, I don't think that's a fair or accurate view of her attitudes at all.
  • maybe because BROOKLYNLEATHER has been beaten, robbed, threatened, abused, insulted, etc because he/she is everything you are NOT.
  • apollonia666 wrote:

    JAH, you've been posting here all of six days. Brooklynleather has been posting here for a year and a half. Based on what I've seen of her posts over that time, I don't think that's a fair or accurate view of her attitudes at all.
    I have seen alot of posts by them complaining about being scared and asking about safety and such.
    brooklynleather wrote:
    It is after 9pm where I start to get nervous walking around alone on empty dimly lit blocks....
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]

    JAH, you've been posting here all of six days. Brooklynleather has been posting here for a year and a half. Based on what I've seen of her posts over that time, I don't think that's a fair or accurate view of her attitudes at all.
    I have seen alot of posts by them complaining about being scared and asking about safety and such.
    brooklynleather wrote:
    It is after 9pm where I start to get nervous walking around alone on empty dimly lit blocks....
    OOooo one post in which a woman voices the perfectly reasonable feeling of being nervous walking around in the late evening on deserted, dark blocks. Powerful evidence, there!

    Here's what I see going on with all of your posts, JAH. We have seen it before on this site many, many times. Someone new to the site but not to Brooklyn signs up, makes a LOT of assumptions about the people who post regularly Brooklynian -- that we're all new to the area and/or "gentrifiers" (not true, there are quite a few regular posters who were born and raised here), that we're all "yuppies" or wealthy (not true, there are a lot of people on this site who struggle paycheck-to-paycheck), that we're all white (again, not true, at least based on the many Brooklynian posters I've met over the past few years), that we're all scaredy-cats (which probably comes from the fact that many people find this is a better place to find out specifics about what's going on locally with crime than any news outlets, so there's quite a bit of posting about that kind of stuff), that none of us are really involved in the local community (again, not true, we have people involved in their block/community organizations, some folks from local law enforcement, local business owners, parents, etc.) that we're all this or that. And then that new poster starts up, guns a-blazin', to tell us what's what, with a lot of snarly tone, tired generalizations, shaky logic, and outraged indignation. And then that new poster gets more and more pissed because folks don't fall all over themselves in agreement. And then that poster violates the site rules, which we're really clear about (the rules being available under the "community" menu at every page of the site), crosses the line into attacking someone personally, gets a warning or a time-out, and then freaks right the hell on out.

    It's not clear to me what the folks who do this want to accomplish, exactly. If there's something you're trying to persuade us about, JAH, I'd truly like to know what it is. And if you'd like to really persuade someone to agree with your point of view, you might find that you'll get a lot further in getting them to if you aren't so combative, slow down with the dozens of multiple rants, and are a little clearer about what exactly you're getting at.

    If all you want to do is piss people off and make them not give any weight to what you have to say, then carry on.
  • apollonia666 wrote:

    OOooo one post in which a woman voices the perfectly reasonable feeling of being nervous walking around in the late evening on deserted, dark blocks. Powerful evidence, there!
    there are many posts like that i just picked one to use as an example. it must be terrible to walk around in continual fear like that. would you like me to cite all the posts like that? i can if you want.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]

    OOooo one post in which a woman voices the perfectly reasonable feeling of being nervous walking around in the late evening on deserted, dark blocks. Powerful evidence, there!
    there are many posts like that i just picked one to use as an example. it must be terrible to walk around in continual fear like that. would you like me to cite all the posts like that? i can if you want.

    And I'm sure whatever you dig up would make up a very small percentage of her 501 posts over the past year and a half.

    Did you even read the rest of what I wrote? Just curious.
  • apollonia666 wrote:

    Did you even read the rest of what I wrote? Just curious.
    yes i did and it does not apply to me so i omitted it from my response.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]

    Did you even read the rest of what I wrote? Just curious.
    yes i did and it does not apply to me so i omitted it from my response.

    It was addressed to you. What part of it doesn't apply? I would like to know what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your posting and what you're trying to persuade people about here. Or are you just here to rail away at whatever monolithic group you seem to have decided this site represents?
  • apollonia666 wrote:

    It was addressed to you. What part of it doesn't apply? I would like to know what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your posting and what you're trying to persuade people about here. Or are you just here to rail away at whatever monolithic group you seem to have decided this site represents?
    I never said you are all new to the area or are all gentrifiers. I never said any of you were yuppies. I never said you were all white neither. Therefore I chose to ignore that irrelevant portion of your post.

    Accomplish? LMFAO! How about speaking my mind just like the rest of you are? I am not trying to persuade anyone about a damn thing. LMFAO again and SMH.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=Emily]
    I think wanting to avoid the "straight pride parade" nonsense is quite reasonable.
    This seems to be a board full of gays.


    Oh, so now you're going to start being glib?

    Just three days ago you were treating everyone on the board to a lecture about racism, the legacy of white privilege, and how reverse racism is a myth.

    Go back to your own arguments, replace concepts like "racism" with "homophobia," "white power" with "straight pride," etc. and you'll see why your betrayal of your own logic makes it hard to take anything you're saying now seriously.
  • Emily wrote: [
    Oh, so now you're going to start being glib?

    Just three days ago you were treating everyone on the board to a lecture about racism, the legacy of white privilege, and how reverse racism is a myth.

    Go back to your own arguments, replace concepts like "racism" with "homophobia," "white power" with "straight pride," etc. and you'll see why your betrayal of your own logic makes it hard to take anything you're saying now seriously.
    So you are actually trying to say this is not a ridiculously pro gay board?
    Oh yeah and "lecture" ? GTFOH!!!
  • JAH wrote: [quote=Emily]
    Oh, so now you're going to start being glib?

    Just three days ago you were treating everyone on the board to a lecture about racism, the legacy of white privilege, and how reverse racism is a myth.

    Go back to your own arguments, replace concepts like "racism" with "homophobia," "white power" with "straight pride," etc. and you'll see why your betrayal of your own logic makes it hard to take anything you're saying now seriously.
    So you are actually trying to say this is not a ridiculously pro gay board?
    Oh yeah and "lecture" ? GTFOH!!!

    I'd say yes, the stuff on this board tends to be more pro-gay than anti. If you haven't noticed, we live in a very blue state and city.

    If you'd like I could quote you some recent opinion polling on New York residents' attitudes towards gay people, but you don't seem to put much stock in statistics.

    At this point, JAH, you seem more interested in amusing yourself than engaging in any kind of dialog with others. Might I suggest you start a blog?
  • JAH wrote: [quote=Emily][
    Oh, so now you're going to start being glib?

    Just three days ago you were treating everyone on the board to a lecture about racism, the legacy of white privilege, and how reverse racism is a myth.

    Go back to your own arguments, replace concepts like "racism" with "homophobia," "white power" with "straight pride," etc. and you'll see why your betrayal of your own logic makes it hard to take anything you're saying now seriously.
    So you are actually trying to say this is not a ridiculously pro gay board?
    Oh yeah and "lecture" ? GTFOH!!!

    it's teh gayz what bring teh awesome, baby. if you don't agree, then don't you have a parade to be in right about now?
  • apollonia666 wrote:
    At this point, JAH, you seem more interested in amusing yourself than engaging in any kind of dialog with others. Might I suggest you start a blog?
    Well an opinion is like an asshole. Everyone has one.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]
    At this point, JAH, you seem more interested in amusing yourself than engaging in any kind of dialog with others. Might I suggest you start a blog?
    Well an opinion is like an asshole. Everyone has one.

    Appolonia called you out flat, Jah, and this is the best reply you can come up with? Seriously? That's it?
  • pwaltman_1972 wrote:
    Appolonia called you out flat, Jah, and this is the best reply you can come up with? Seriously? That's it?
    Nope she had a massively failed attempt at "calling me out". Try again.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=pwaltman_1972]
    Appolonia called you out flat, Jah, and this is the best reply you can come up with? Seriously? That's it?
    Nope she had a massively failed attempt at "calling me out". Try again.

    That wasn't an attempt to call you out. I was asking you some questions, which you still haven't answered.
  • apollonia666 wrote:

    That wasn't an attempt to call you out. I was asking you some questions, which you still haven't answered.
    I did.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]

    That wasn't an attempt to call you out. I was asking you some questions, which you still haven't answered.
    I did.

    Well, sort of:
    JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]It was addressed to you. What part of it doesn't apply? I would like to know what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your posting and what you're trying to persuade people about here. Or are you just here to rail away at whatever monolithic group you seem to have decided this site represents?
    I never said you are all new to the area or are all gentrifiers. I never said any of you were yuppies. I never said you were all white neither. Therefore I chose to ignore that irrelevant portion of your post.

    Accomplish? LMFAO! How about speaking my mind just like the rest of you are? I am not trying to persuade anyone about a damn thing. LMFAO again and SMH.

    It's a flippant non-answer of an answer, but I guess in all fairness you did "answer."
  • apollonia666 wrote:
    It's a flippant non-answer of an answer, but I guess in all fairness you did "answer."
    Again, opinions...
    It is my answer not a non answer.
    Just because someone doesn't give you your desired or expected response to a question does not mean it is a "flippant non answer".

    :roll:
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]
    It's a flippant non-answer of an answer, but I guess in all fairness you did "answer."
    Again, opinions...
    It is my answer not a non answer.
    Just because someone doesn't give you your desired or expected response to a question does not mean it is a "flippant non answer".

    :roll:
    Well, it was a reply or a response, but it wasn't an "answer" to the question, in that it avoided the question rather than providing the information that the question asked for.
  • question wrote:
    I would like to know what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your posting and what you're trying to persuade people about here.
    answer wrote:
    Accomplish? LMFAO! How about speaking my mind just like the rest of you are? I am not trying to persuade anyone about a damn thing.
    The question was answered. How is that avoiding the question?

    MOD NOTE: tags fixed
    -C
  • from another board wrote: Going Out My People Play Mask With The Hawks T-n-t- Big Up ,but Not To Juve It Gets A Little Wild
    tis the young lil american assholes be causing all the trouble SMH
  • you need to put quotation marks around the name of the source you're quoting for the tags to work.
  • sweet tea wrote: you need to put quotation marks around the name of the source you're quoting for the tags to work.
    thanx i fixed it but this board funny. all the other boards work the same except this one. this the only one with quotes and no center tags and a bunch of other regular stuff. i gotta get used to it.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=sweet tea]you need to put quotation marks around the name of the source you're quoting for the tags to work.
    thanx i fixed it but this board funny. all the other boards work the same except this one. this the only one with quotes and no center tags and a bunch of other regular stuff. i gotta get used to it.
    It's phpbb based.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=apollonia666]
    At this point, JAH, you seem more interested in amusing yourself than engaging in any kind of dialog with others. Might I suggest you start a blog?
    Well an opinion is like an asshole. Everyone has one.

    But not everyone is a big, fat, obvious


    image
  • [quote=caaahyoko]
    image
    your self portrait? charming.
  • Don't prove me right or anything.

    :lol: I'm supposed to get mad now, right?
  • Did you say "charming" ?

    Mom, I told you to stay off my computer!
  • modsquad wrote: Did you say "charming" ?

    Mom, I told you to stay off my computer!
    I know. The trolls just aren't as consistent as they used to be. Where's Precious when you need her?
  • caaahyoko wrote: [quote=modsquad]Did you say "charming" ?

    Mom, I told you to stay off my computer!
    I know. The trolls just aren't as consistent as they used to be. Where's Precious when you need her?
    anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll. oh ok. very mature and charming. steupses.
  • Jah,

    please go to the parade so we can all have a break from your nonsense.
  • pima wrote: Jah,

    please go to the parade so we can all have a break from your nonsense.
    pima you go to the parade or the damn opera or starbucks or wherever it is that you go so we can get a break from your nonsense.
    steupses again @ you sick badminded people
  • Jah,

    You should change your name before your namesake disowns you.
  • pima wrote: Jah,

    You should change your name before your namesake disowns you.
    pima you should cease your wicked and devilish ways.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=caaahyoko][quote=modsquad]Did you say "charming" ?

    Mom, I told you to stay off my computer!
    I know. The trolls just aren't as consistent as they used to be. Where's Precious when you need her?
    anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll. oh ok. very mature and charming. steupses.

    Sorry I didn't overreact to your inflammatory comments. I'm just non-flammable I guess.
  • JAH nuh get pum pum

    So him lash out on de message boards
  • Jah is just a race-baiting troll. It's obvious from his posts and behavior. Don't take him seriously and he'll go away.
  • typical. whoever has a different POV to yours is a "troll". nope.
  • Must. fight. hard. do. not. engage.
  • Whatchuwant wrote: Must. fight. hard. do. not. engage.
    What do you have against marriage?
  • WhyFi wrote: [quote=Whatchuwant]Must. fight. hard. do. not. engage.
    What do you have against marriage?

    Ha! Needed that Wi-fi.

    Nothing. Absolutely nothing. :wink:
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

    ...

    Often, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives. Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding tends to encourage trolls to continue disruptive posts — hence the often-seen warning: "Please do not feed the trolls".[10]

    Frequently, someone who has been labelled a troll by a group may seek to redeem their reputation by discrediting their opponents, for example by claiming that other members of the group are closed-minded, conspirators, or trolls themselves.
  • again this does not apply to me so you know what you can do with your rhetoric
  • JAH wrote: again this does not apply to me so you know what you can do with your rhetoric
    Man, it IS you. Own it.
  • Whatchuwant wrote: [quote=JAH]again this does not apply to me so you know what you can do with your rhetoric
    Man, it IS you. Own it.
    no it is you and it especially is modsquad. you guys OWN it.
  • JAH wrote: [quote=Whatchuwant][quote=JAH]again this does not apply to me so you know what you can do with your rhetoric
    Man, it IS you. Own it.
    no it is you and it especially is modsquad. you guys OWN it.

    JAH come back to your out of focus parade picture topic!
  • Please do not feed... oh well.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=JAH]This seems to be a board full of gays.
    My wife would disagree with you.

    I sometimes get the sense that a lot of these rabidly homophobic Blacks would be equally rabid racists if they weren't Black themselves.

    Hate begets hate.

    Hear Hear.
This discussion has been closed.