Good cheap gym ?
  • Its time for me to get off my lazy butt and find a gym to join in my new hood. The closest place for me to work out would be the newly rehabbed armory, but they haven't opened yet, and I can't wait forever.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the 9th street Y ? What about Harbor fitness ?
    Hoping to find a place that won't cost much, where I will feel comfortable, unlike my old gym which was overrun with Vanilla Ice look-a-likes. South Slope-ish / Windsor Terrace-sh nabe preferred
    Thanks !
  • I went to Harbor for many years. Just quit last year when work made it inconvenient (then I got laid off and broke my ankle = no more gym). I liked it well enough - clean, not too crowded, they have a good sauna. What are you looking for in a gym?
  • The Y is just fine. No BS. Plenty of stuff to choose from.
  • My oldest goes to Harbor and really likes it
  • We go to the Y on 9th St. Not snooty at all. Even my 74 year old, overweight mother in law feels comfortable there. I can remember only 1 time, before they renovated and added machines, I had to use a different bike than I wanted then switch to the recumbent. Most people using the work out machines are happy to let you work through. I find the floor staff is friendly and helpful. The fees are very reasonable and you can get a 20% discount pretty easily.
  • I mostly just do cardio and circuit weight training. I rarely take classes, but when I do they tend to be yoga or pilates. I don't like when the staff tries to talk to me with the motive of selling me personal training, but I do like when other gym goers talk to me with the motive of being friendly :)
    A sauna or steamroom is a nice plus, though not a necessity. It would be great if I could keep the price to around $60 a month.
  • I know this will probably result in me getting some nasty PMS but...I have been going to Slope Fitness on Union for several years and I am very pleased. Relatively small gym, but good quality equipment. Never got the hard sell for personal training and they have have a decent class list a lot of yoga, pilates, spin. I have never taken a class there so I cant comment on the quality of instructors.

Edit: you said south slope so ignore my post.
  • BrooklynJack wrote: We go to the Y on 9th St. ...... The fees are very reasonable and you can get a 20% discount pretty easily.

Apologies for being so crass - but how much is it?
  • For myself and my two daughters it's $62/mo plus the 20% discount.
  • Harbor Fitness.
  • ljnd wrote: For myself and my two daughters it's $62/mo plus the 20% discount.
    Thanks!

It's not local to Park Slope, but I stopped by Lucille Roberts on Fulton/Flatbush nr Juniors in downtown Brooklyn and their 12 mth contract is $20/mth! Or 2 yrs for $15/mth. I know it's pretty basic and no trimmings, but as I've just been laid off, seems pretty good to me.
  • Nomad, that sounds a like a great deal!
  • As for the Y, it kind of depends on your approach to a gym. The free weight room can be horrible. Epically horrible at times. Small, crowded with too many pointless machines and often too crowded to be of use (especially weekday nights). That said, I still go occasionally and try to make it work since no one seems to pay attention to the one squat rack. It's a bit better on the weekends.

If you're going just for the cardio machines... well, that's unfortunate, but yeah, they have plenty of those.

They also offer a lot of classes. I haven't taken any of those, but they might be good for someone just getting started and they've got to be more effective then spending 30 minutes watching tv on an elliptical. Plus it would probably be motivational to be in a group situation.

One favor though, if you join the Y, please don't read while on a cardio machine. If I see you, it will just make me sad.

Good luck (despite my arrogance, it's great you're looking into taking better care of yourself).
  • Kid, you are right about that weight room. It is SNUG. I find it's best to go in the mid-afternoon - after about 4:00 it starts to fill up. The squat rack IS the best place.

You are so funny about reading on the cardio machine - isn't that better than watching TV? What about a Kindle?
  • BrooklynJack wrote: We go to the Y on 9th St. Not snooty at all. Even my 74 year old, overweight mother in law feels comfortable there. I can remember only 1 time, before they renovated and added machines, I had to use a different bike than I wanted then switch to the recumbent. Most people using the work out machines are happy to let you work through. I find the floor staff is friendly and helpful. The fees are very reasonable and you can get a 20% discount pretty easily.

How do I get the 20% discount you speak of ?
  • To get the 20% discount you belong to one of the groups on the list. Members of the UFT, AAARP and I think the Park Slope Food COOP qualify. The list is on the counter in the membership office. There are a number of employers too.
  • Or if your kids go to one of the local schools - 321, 51, etc.
  • are all gyms a contract  mhow about blink fitness