Jerry's bagels evicted. — Brooklynian

Jerry's bagels evicted.

I walked past Jerry's Bagels on 39th street and 4th avenue this afternoon when I noticed it was closed in the middle of the day. I usually stop in to get coffee. Upon closer inspection I read a big sign that says "Landlord now has legal possession of these premises."

Does that mean Jerry's is never coming back? They were the only store with decent coffee in this neighborhood, for miles. I am so sad to see it go!

Comments

• I think there is now a law in Brooklyn that all non-Starbucks Coffee Shops are illegal.

• Honestly, Jerry's was not great. Just because it was in our neighborhood, doesn't mean we should lower our standards because there are no other options. Yes, their coffee was better than Starbucks by a stretch, but they were slow as molasses and the bagels were mediocre at best.

• i saw the sign too. they were really nice there.

in good news, there is green fig cafe opening up may 18th at 462 36th street and another placed called red parrot at 4124 8th Ave

• eng Red Parrot might be a little of walk for me. I was hoping to have a place where I could walk past on my way to the train or something.

clbk17 Lower our standards? Around here there is NOTHING to lower to. So where did YOU get your coffee? Perhaps out of one of these filthy looking bodega's that only offer sweet and low and serve Sanka? Or did you go all the way to Dunkin Donuts only to find out that they use whole milk when they run out of skim, and they pour it in your coffee behind the counter so that you can't see it, but if you happen to be going through the drive thru, you can see it and perhaps comment on it like I did. Have you ever noticed the slightly sour taste of some of their flavored coffees? That means they don't clean their coffee filters.

Have you actually eaten out of Spiro's or the 39th street Diner and Donuts and seen the cheaptastic ingredients they offer as food. Even worse have you seen the recent reports of Spiros' on the restaurant inspection page. I mean two months before they cleaned up their act to get their so called "A". That place was ROUTINELY scoring in the c/D range. They got 28 in April (not too long ago) , 23 in November and whopping 59 in October. the 39th street Diner was similar. I used to go there after clubbing, since it was open 24 hours. I sued to routinely see roaches and FSRA flies (the kind you see on animal corpses, dog shit and trash), buzzing around in there.

Please let me know of a high standard coffee shop in our neighborhood, so that I can support it. I supported Jerry's store because it was better than anything we had. Until we get like Park Slope and have lots of choices, we should really encourage the decent stores to stay by frequent patronage. If the Green Fig is good, you will also see me there frequently. Look for the girl in head to toe black and flowers or feathers in her hair. That will be me, and I will buy you a coffee, hopefully a GOOD ONE at the Green Fig.

• eng Red Parrot might be a little of walk for me. I was hoping to have a place where I could walk past on my way to the train or something.

clbk17 Lower our standards? Around here there is NOTHING to lower to. So where did YOU get your coffee? Perhaps out of one of these filthy looking bodega's that only offer sweet and low and serve Sanka? Or did you go all the way to Dunkin Donuts only to find out that they use whole milk when they run out of skim, and they pour it in your coffee behind the counter so that you can't see it, but if you happen to be going through the drive thru, you can see it and perhaps comment on it like I did. Have you ever noticed the slightly sour taste of some of their flavored coffees? That means they don't clean their coffee filters.

Have you actually eaten out of Spiro's or the 39th street Diner and Donuts and seen the cheaptastic ingredients they offer as food. Even worse have you seen the recent reports of Spiros' on the restaurant inspection page. I mean two months before they cleaned up their act to get their so called "A". That place was ROUTINELY scoring in the c/D range. They got 28 in April (not too long ago) , 23 in November and whopping 59 in October. the 39th street Diner was similar. I used to go there after clubbing, since it was open 24 hours. I sued to routinely see roaches and FSRA flies (the kind you see on animal corpses, dog shit and trash), buzzing around in there.

Please let me know of a high standard coffee shop in our neighborhood, so that I can support it. I supported Jerry's store because it was better than anything we had. Until we get like Park Slope and have lots of choices, we should really encourage the decent stores to stay by frequent patronage. If the Green Fig is good, you will also see me there frequently. Look for the girl in head to toe black and flowers or feathers in her hair. That will be me, and I will buy you a coffee, hopefully a GOOD ONE at the Green Fig.

• Exactly my point. I did not support Jerry's simply because it was the best of the worst in the neighborhood. This is settling for sub-par and lowering standards because there is nothing better. I will make my coffee at home and sacrifice convenience.

We should not have to subject ourselves to Jerry's, DD's, or the ridiculous bodegas in the hood if they are our only options. I refuse to support them!

On a positive note, the coffee at Green Fig is good and to standard. :wink:

• Maybe we should pool our cash and start our own place. We're always relying on 'them' to put something better in the 'hood. They're not gods, they're just people with bad business plans.

This discussion has been closed.