Shilling Monday: What's the hype about this neighborhoood/area — Brooklynian

Shilling Monday: What's the hype about this neighborhoood/area

I was reading another thread on these here boards about some new place that opened up in Park Slope. It seems that there are always interesting things happening in other areas, but Greenwood heights/Sunset Park seems to be an area people primarily go to just to crash. We apparently haven't become a destination like Park Slope or Williamsburg.

I'm in the midst of a stay-cation, and would really like to use this time to discover new and interesting things about living in this area

I am going to borrow a phrase from Mamacita that I saw in the thread I referenced. She used the term "Shilling Monday" I want to ask you guys what interesting stores, shops, restaurants, activities and areas have you found in this neighborhood, that make it worth hanging out a little, and not just waking up, brushing your teeth and running to the nearest subway to some other neighborhood.

I will start:

1) Boheme (39th street above 5th avenue)

Its a tiny little shop that sells some cute Victorian inspired items. If you are steam punk, goth or into period stuff, this shop is worth a look

2) Mystical Essentials (32 street btw 2nd and 3rd)

If you are at all into the occult, or if you like mystical knick-knacks and incense this place is great

3)Los Tres Potrillos (39th and 4th) open 24 hours, its clean and serves great food. I go when its empty quiet spacious and heavenly

4)Eclipse (44th street and 4th avenue)

good Mexican

5)East Coast Beer Distribution (3rd avenue btw 37 and 38th)

They must have every beer and lambic ever imagined here

Comments

• You are not asking people to shill, you are asking people to talk about a business that they are an actual fan of. That's different.

A shill or plant is a person who helps another person or organization to sell goods or services without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with the seller. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase the said goods or services.

Shill=bad.

Businesses you genuinely like and have no vested interest in = good

I really like the area of Greenwood Heights/Sunset Park and will certainly try to help out the businesses that you like the next time I'm over there.

I especially want to hear about the good Mexican restaurants .

• You are not asking people to shill, you are asking people to talk about a business that they are an actual fan of. That's different.

A shill or plant is a person who helps another person or organization to sell goods or services without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with the seller. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer. The person or group that hires the shill is using crowd psychology, to encourage other onlookers or audience members (who are unaware of the set-up) to purchase the said goods or services.

Shill=bad.

I really like the area of Greenwood Heights/Sunset Park and will certainly try to help out the businesses that you like the next time I'm over there.

• Two Sunset Park suggestions: both bakeries that also have seating, but if it is nice get your orders to go, and walk to the area’s namesake park! Get a sandwich cemitas and hibiscus juice (agua de jamaica) at Las Conchitas panaderia and restaurant, 4811 5th Ave (near 48th St.). Get a bahn mi and iced vietnamese coffee at Ba Xuyen bakery and restaurant, 4222 8th Ave (near 43rd St.). Get the sandwiches “with everything.” Good food, good drinks, both places. One or the other or both! Take your goodies to Sunset Park and sit on the westfacing lawn where you can see the harbor. One of the great picnic spots in New York, IMHO.

And what about mexican popsicles? A few groceries on 5th facing the park carry them. These popsicles are made with real fruit, real sugar, sometimes salty, sometimes peppery. Lots of different flavors. YUMMM!

You live so close to so much deliciousness. Explore, enjoy!

• I would say there's a lack of variety in our hood but I hesitate to complain about it NOT being like Park Slop or Hipsterburg because I know that the authenticity of our Asian (Chinese and Vietnamese) and Hispanic (Mexican, Salvadoran, Ecuadorian and Puerto Rican) restaurants is unsurpassed in NYC. It's really sad and pathetic that places like Barrio in P.S. exist at all especially when people here consider themselves to be such 'foodies' (which, to me, is code for 'fucking pretentious asshole.') I think it's possible that some folks are averse to businesses which are non-English speaking and that's fair, but I feel sad that they're missing out on the authenticity. You don't see many places that serve 'posole' or 'menudo' or 'agua de jamaica' east of Texas and that makes it worth my while to appreciate the scene here before it does turn into nightmare Yuppie plastic-ville. I know that some people will be happy when the little taco places are eventually replaced by shops that sell gourmet dog biscuits but I won't.

• whynot_31 said:

You are not asking people to shill, you are asking people to talk about a business that they are an actual fan of. That's different.

Shill=bad.

You are right, whynot I was kind of using the term tongue in cheek, in all seriousness, maybe it was in poor taste.

• sandcastler said:

Two Sunset Park suggestions: both bakeries that also have seating, but if it is nice get your orders to go, and walk to the area’s namesake park! Get a sandwich cemitas and hibiscus juice (agua de jamaica) at Las Conchitas panaderia and restaurant, 4811 5th Ave (near 48th St.). Get a bahn mi and iced vietnamese coffee at Ba Xuyen bakery and restaurant, 4222 8th Ave (near 43rd St.). Get the sandwiches “with everything.” Good food, good drinks, both places. One or the other or both! Take your goodies to Sunset Park and sit on the westfacing lawn where you can see the harbor. One of the great picnic spots in New York, IMHO.

And what about mexican popsicles? A few groceries on 5th facing the park carry them. These popsicles are made with real fruit, real sugar, sometimes salty, sometimes peppery. Lots of different flavors. YUMMM!

You live so close to so much deliciousness. Explore, enjoy!

I discovered chili mango flavored Popsicles from living in Sunset Park and having encountered one of many Ice-cream peddlers on the street. You are right sancastler they are fantastic!

• My favorite place in Sunset Park is Sunset Park. I have yet to find a hangout spot in this hood. Nothing out there for a single female, for sure.

This discussion has been closed.