Don't these !@#$ in congress have better things to do? — Brooklynian

Don't these !@#$ in congress have better things to do?

Four U.S. senators and health officials from the cities hosting the World Series are urging the baseball players union to agree to a ban on chewing tobacco at games and on camera.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7118541/2011-world-series-senators-urge-baseball-ban-tobacco

I don't watch sports so, seems to me to be a waste of time.

Comments

• Most of them gave up chaw....they're munching on those crappy sunflower seeds and spitting out the shells. Matter of fact, in Arizona where the D-Backs play the grass is so hard to grow on the field that the grounds keepers actually vacuum up the shells that are all over the field because there's no other way to get them without destroying what little field they have.

• Congressfolks are urging healthier practices and less tobacco use?

That seems like precisely what they should be doing with their time.

• still have that thing i think they call it a debt problem and some finical problem.

those things are more worth their time than some personal choice and freedom to do what ever those folks like to chew, smoke, snuff, snort etc....

they are going to make cigarettes more expensive than illegal drugs isn't that funny.

• They're smart people. I hope we can elect leaders who (in theory of course) can tackle more than one issue at a time.

Of course, what we actually have is a political party who prevents congress from tackling even a single issue.

• lol keep believing its only one party that's the problem LOL.

• Sorry, how are Democrats preventing congress from passing legislation?

• keep drinking your kool aid, if you don't see both parties are the problem lol keep reelecting the two same sides every 4 years etc.....

• Every four years, this country puts on the best circus.

While some spend their time resenting having to pay for the show, others simply enjoy it.

• armchair_warrior said:

keep drinking your kool aid, if you don't see both parties are the problem lol keep reelecting the two same sides every 4 years etc.....

I'm making a specific point you can't respond to.

Congress is passing less legislation than it ever has before, and it is because of the openly stated obstructionist policy of ONE party.

Objectively true.

Sorry

• would someone please stop spiking his drinks please!

• AW-

Don't worry, the Republicans will again be in the majority and the democrats will do everything they can to obstruct them.

...boygabriel will then state that they are not being obstructionist, that they are standing up for the working man. Or some other tired rhetoric.

Moral to the story: The democrats are always the hero in the Boygabriel Democrat Press

• I hate the 2 party system. I rather see a Parliament system.

• I would like to have a benevolent dictator.

I've spent my entire life trying to convince people that I should be that individual, but -so far- no success.

• I'll love to put everyone in some sort of camps from labor to organ. you get the idea. and its randomly done to be fair too :p.

• AW-

You could trick the ideologues into going into the camps voluntarily.

...just promise them there will be people who agree with them there.

• Nature hasn't been doing its job lately from wars to famine to disease, thanks to modern tech.

Age old question who would you rather be the nazi or the jew in the camp?

• whynot_31 said:

AW-

Don't worry, the Republicans will again be in the majority and the democrats will do everything they can to obstruct them.

...boygabriel will then state that they are not being obstructionist, that they are standing up for the working man. Or some other tired rhetoric.

Moral to the story: The democrats are always the hero in the Boygabriel Democrat Press

WN, unfortunately history proves your theory completely wrong.

Sorry.

The Bush years alone prove this, in which Bush pushed way more of a partisan agenda than Obama has ever attempted.

And yet, Democrats let Bush pass bills, didn't they?

Hmmmmmmm.

As I said, it is objectively true that Republicans are currently obstructing congress on an unprecedented scale.

I await any evidence you and AW have to the contrary, but I assume none will be forthcoming.

• too much kool aid man put it down!!!

• if I'm so obviously wrong one would think you'd have evidence or an argument to the contrary, but you don't.

Only republicans are obstructing congressional business.

Sorry, your false equivalency fails.

• put it down bro!!!

• Boygabriel said:

if I'm so obviously wrong one would think you'd have evidence or an argument to the contrary, but you don't.

Only republicans are obstructing congressional business.

Sorry, your false equivalency fails.

You have to look further back than Bush; You can't just cherry pick the stats.

...don't worry, Democrats will get to try their hand at being obstructionists in the future, and depending on the media we consume they will be cast as heros or devils.

• whynot_31 said:

You have to look further back than Bush; You can't just cherry pick the stats.

...don't worry, Democrats will get to try their hand at being obstructionists in the future, and depending on the media we consume they will be cast as heros or devils.

Look back as far in history as you want, WN. The current REPUBLICAN obstructionism is unprecedented in congress.

As I said, show me any proof otherwise.

• Over the last few years, the Republicans have been a very successful party, despite being in the minority.

I hope the Democrats are taking notes.

• AW, focus and stay on topic if at all possible:

show me how Democrats are obstructing congress.

• whynot_31 said:

Over the last few years, the Republicans have been a very successful party, despite being in the minority.

I hope the Democrats are taking notes.

You ignored my point and attempted to shift the discussion because you and I both know that current Republican obstructionism is unprecedented.

Sorry.

As Moynihan said, you are not entitled to your own facts.

• I do not dispute that this minority Republican legislature has been more successful at obstructing the majority than any minority party in history.

I am advising the Democrats to stop whining, and take notes so they will be equally good at it when it is there turn in the future.

• whynot_31 said:

I do not dispute that this minority Republican legislature has been more successful at obstructing the majority than any minority party in history.

That wasn't so hard!

I am advising the Democrats to stop whining, and take notes so they will be equally good at it when it is there turn in the future.

I hope the Democrats do not resort to filibustering everything as a tactic to get their way.

I wish the Democrats actually showed leadership on progressive issues and improved the lives of the other 90%.

But if the electorate is going to reward obstructionism and a continuation of our failed neo-Reaganism, then there isn't much hope for our two party system.

Actually, we already know there isn't much hope for our two party system.

• The democrats are such whiners, despite being beat completely fairly.

Will the Democrats ever learn that people hate false victims, and claims of superior integrity?

• ah yes, the old whiny Democrats narrative.

an old one but a good one.

• The rules of the game (aka "legislature") are clear.

...use them to your advantage.

Don't expect sympathy when you get beat by someone who is following the rules.

• lol bg if i don't know you better, i would say you're a democratic stooge.

Come on both sides the damn same thing every few years. Don't like the game don't play it. The democrats should just take their marbles and go home if they think its not fair LOL.

I hate both sides So i can say they both suck. you claim only one side does and not working etc...

• In a few years, I predict the Republicans will be in the majority and will be the ones whining about how the Democrats are obstructionist and the reason they can not get anything done.

I reserve the right to change my prediction if the Democrats are so pathetic that they lose the legislature AND fail to learn how to obstruct.

• armchair_warrior said:

lol bg if i don't know you better, i would say you're a democratic stooge.

Come on both sides the damn same thing every few years. Don't like the game don't play it. The democrats should just take their marbles and go home if they think its not fair LOL.

I hate both sides So i can say they both suck. you claim only one side does and not working etc...

FACTS and HISTORY show that Republicans currently obstruct congress on an unprecedented scale.

There are a million things to equate Repubs and Dems on, this is not one of them.

You don't get to make up your own facts. Sorry.

• whynot_31 said:

In a few years, I predict the Republicans will be in the majority and will be the ones whining about how the Democrats are obstructionist and the reason they can not get anything done.

I reserve the right to change my prediction if the Democrats are so pathetic that they lose the legislature AND fail to learn how to obstruct.

why would they obstruct in the future when they didn't in the Bush years?

Your equivalency of both parties being likely to obstruct ignores context.

It's easy for Repubs to obstruct everything and yell about smaller government. It resonates with many Americans.

Dems can't obstruct, say, a bill that lowers taxes, or they will be portrayed as being big government or pro cancer or something stupid.

There are inherent advantages built into many Republican positions.

It is easier to scare people about big gov than to explain to them the things the gov can do well. (see: the health care debacle)

It is easier to scare people about evil muslims than it is to explain how counter-productive many terrorism policies are.

Republicans managed to obstruct a JOBS bill during some of the worst unemployment in the nation's history.

How well do you think that work if Dems tried it?

It wouldn't.

Look, I do not like the Democratic party. I don't like it's strategies, I don't like the job it's President has done, but it far more closely resembles my progressive beliefs than the know-nothing Republican Party.

• Don't worry, the pendulum of public opinion will swing back. Everything is temporary.

This discussion has been closed.