Coming soon to La, flea markets, garage sales ,and Craig's List will be illegal. — Brooklynian

Coming soon to La, flea markets, garage sales ,and Craig's List will be illegal.

A new law passed in Louisiana has made it illegal for consumers to pay for second-hand goods with cash, in a ruling that has a substantial effect on the many flea markets in the state.

House Bill 195 states that “Anyone, other than a non-profit entity, who buys, sells, trades in or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a non-profit entity, shall be deemed as being in the business of a secondhand dealer. A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property.”

http://fleamarketzone.com/2011/10/louisiana-bans-cash-transactions-for-second-hand-merchandise/

Comments

• There's no way this law can effectively be enforced. Most people will ignore it and life will go on as always. Jaywalking and smoking marijuana are also illegal, but we see how successful those laws are!

• So who does this benefit exactly? Sucks for gamestop.

• Their doing it to get sales tax on 2nd hand items - way to tax the middle and lower classes that extra bit!

• I think that this law will be struck down because the federal government, not state governments determines what is and is not legal tender. Banknotes issued by he US Federal Reserve System are legal tender for all transactions within the USA, private businesses are not compelled to accept coins and notes as payment, but I doubt that they can be prohibited from doing so. What LA should focus on is defining who a second hand dealer is, and requiring them to be licensed and to keep records of the identity of the sellers of goods. Whenever I've sold stuff to a dealer, be it a VCR, silverware, or unwanted jewelry, I've been required to produce picture ID.

This is not going to stop people fencing stolen goods. Whilst some of the stuff at flea markets is stolen, I'd be surprised if most thieves dispose of stolen goods that way. I have a brother-in-law in another country who bought high end speakers for cash from a guy out of the trunk of a car on the side of the road - pretty sure they were hot.

This discussion has been closed.