810 Washington to become Venezuelan Restaurant?

• notsayin said:

A reliable source tells me a local merchant is looking at 810 Washington (the big grey storefront on the corner of St Johns shown above) for a new Venezuelan restaurant.

Interior shown below...

• Because this space is being built from scratch, I will estimate August 2013 opening.

Note: This is pure speculation

BTW, here is info from the realtor (CPEX) about this space; They asked $10k a month

http://www.cpexre.com/system/assets/properties/documents/327/original/810_Washington_Avenue_-_Setup.pdf?1363036922

• "If the bourgeoisie win, they are going to privatise health and education, they are going to take land from the Indians, the curse of Maracapana would come on you,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22056610

• I hope that they built a contingency into that rent, i.e. if they are successful in obtaining a full liquor license, it's 10K otherwise substantially less. The Community Board is not looking favorably on new liquor license applications for Washington Ave, so it should not be assumed that a full license, or even a beer and wine license, will be issued. That said, it will make add to the variety of offerings in the neighborhood, one does so tire of Caribbean and salty Chinese.

• If I were the potential proprietor, I would make sure that I had my liquor license in hand before I put any money into the property.

The owners of the Sunshine Co. almost got burned by investing huge amounts of money BEFORE their alc permit was granted.

...in that instance, the alcohol permit was granted despite the advice of the CB.

• 810 Washington in approximately 2003

• Finally something there

• I wouldn't celebrate yet.

...wait until they get their liquor permit, sign the lease and start construction.

Lots of things could go wrong between now and then.

• whynot_31 said:

I wouldn't celebrate yet.

...wait until they get their liquor permit, sign the lease and start construction.

Lots of things could go wrong between now and then.

When I'm sitting at a table eating. Then I'll believe it.

• whynot_31 said:

If I were the potential proprietor, I would make sure that I had my liquor license in hand before I put any money into the property.

The owners of the Sunshine Co. almost got burned by investing huge amounts of money BEFORE their alc permit was granted.

...in that instance, the alcohol permit was granted despite the advice of the CB.

That's not the case. The Community Board asked the State Liquor Authority to make a determination as to whether Sunshine was subject to the SLA's 200 foot rule, which prohibits a full liquor license within 200 feet of a building that operates primarily as a house of worship. There is a church catty-corner to Sunshine, but as the SLA determined it is part of a complex of three storefronts within one building lot, the 200 foot rule did not apply.

The 200 foot rule is not discretionary on the part of the CB or the SLA.

• This contradicts what I heard elsewhere, but I will admit to not being an expert on the SLA rules.

...I don't know whether to be happy or sad that such things are not discretionary.

Returning to 810 Washington, as of today (May 21, 2013) it remains an active listing on CPEX's website. Does this mean they don't have a signed lease yet, or simply that they have not taken the listing down?

http://www.cpexre.com/assignments?location=1&product_type=8

...an even harder question to answer than SLA ones.

• My source was pretty confident of this, but agreed - no obvious activity at the site so far. Deal may have fallen through, or just not complete yet.

In my haste to break the news, I may have jumped the gun...CNN-style.

• Unlike CNN, we don't claim to be journalism.

I do hope this site becomes something soon.

• July 15, 2013:

No construction is apparent at this site, and the site is still listed on the real estate website.

....the landlord may need to lower their price to get this property to move

• Saw construction happening at this vacant retail site a couple of days ago. Anyone know what is coming to this space?

• While it is possible that it is still on the CPEX site simply because they have not taken it down, it may be premature to assume that seeing some construction indicates a tenant has been found.

For example, the LL may be doing some basic construction to make the site "less scary" to potential tenants.

• I asked the contractors what was going on and they didn't know anything. Seems like if it was being renovated for a restaurant, they would know something more. Also, they dumped a bunch of primer pain on the sidewalk and down the drain. Not cool.

• Aug 19, 2013: Still listed as being available on the CPEX website.

Folks, I don't think we are getting a Venezuelan restaurant at this site anytime soon, if ever.

• whynot_31 said:

Because this space is being built from scratch, I will estimate August 2013 opening.

Note: This is pure speculation

BTW, here is info from the realtor (CPEX) about this space; They asked $10k a month

http://www.cpexre.com/system/assets/properties/documents/327/original/810_Washington_Avenue_-_Setup.pdf?1363036922

Price drop!     Now available for $8500 a month.
  • $8,500 still seems insane, but it's less than $10,000.  Good luck to anyone who moves in!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook