Storefront next to Niahmah on Prospect/Nostrand
  • Noticed some work being done today, pretty far along and not sure I've seen it mentioned here. Space has kitchen equipment set up and some high tables with chairs. It did not seem like a big space. Maybe a lunch spot of some sort? This is next to Niahmah and across from BK Scoop.

• Niahmah's address is 787 Prospect, and it shares a one story structure that seems to be known as 785 - 791 Prospect.

Which, just to make things a little complicated, is also known as 710 Nostrand.

Photo: citysearch

So, I think we are talking about 789 Park Place

• and once again the tsarina has the story... Exquisite is moving in there and the corner space will be available.

• That makes me wonder if Exquisite owns the buildings.

....the corner space would be very attractive to something more upscale than Exquisite, likely willing/able to pay more in rent.

• The guys in Exquisite told me that they were moving into the smaller spot for the takeout business and the larger corner area was going to be kept for full-service sit down. This was a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know if plans have changed since then.

• By moving the take out to a diffierent location, they could certainly change their present business model for the corner space.

It presently has formica tables and casual dining service.

I wonder if they will take the leap to tablecloths and a full liquor lic.

I think the neighborhood would support it.

• walked past today and exquisite is moving around the corner, so the entire space facing nostrand is now available. wonder what it'll be!

• Heads up!

An entity known as L’Angle Inc., is in the process of asking CB8 for support for a full liquor license for 710 Nostrand Avenue (corner of Prospect).

That's this place:

Nostrand is likely to get another bar!

• oh no. we already have such a problem with alcohol/drug use at our corner. can't imagine it would get better with another bar.

• Do you feel Nostrand Pub contributed to the scene around its location?

If comes to fruition, this venue will serve a similar clientele.

The folks planning it will ask for CB8's support on Monday, October 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).

• Name change!

The entity is now going by Z’ Bar Café.

It will potentially have a garden/sidewalk café. They are scheduled to present in front of the CB8 SLA Committee on Nov 4th.

• The drug and alcohol problem will not be exacerbated by another bar/cafe. The alcohol/drug use people dont have money to go to a proper establishment. If anything better stores and restaurants will not tolerate bums hanging outside their establishments. and I would think twice about a garden/sidewalk cafe, there always is a sewage smell in that intersection.

• This is a high profile corner, and I am interested in seeing who has the experience and capital to take it on.

At first glance, it appears as if we may have already had one prospective bar tenant back out, for another. At the SLA mtg, we will learn just how experienced the applicant is.

If I was to open up this place, I might start it out with a West Indian theme. The area might not be quite ready for something as generic as St. Catherine on Washington Ave.

• The good news (!) about the drug/alcohol activity at that intersection is that its mostly older folks who start their day off about mid-day, have cajoled, begged, or financed their way into their vice of choice by the late afternoon and are usually inside and settled by the late evening. While they do sometimes get rowdy, they seem to spend most of their energy yelling and arguing with one another over whose turn it is to go into the liquor store.

They don't strike me as the type to even think about wandering into a bar for a drink, and if they do, I suspect their choice would be Q's Tavern which seems to cater to the old man drinkers in the neighborhood. Like Tsarina said, they are more of the $5 Thunderbird and the $2.50 nip crowd and less of the cocktails and microbrew set. I don't think they'll even focus on whatever comes to that corner.

• In the rare event that these folks have money and want to spend it at a bar, they are usually not welcome at bars that must stay full to stay in business. These folks tend to cause others to avoid their haunts.

Z Bar Cafe would be foolish to make them welcome.

• Exquisite has settled nicely into its new location:

• Nov 4.

The owners appeared at tonight's CB SLA mtg. They didn't quite have all of their paperwork in order, and were asked to come back at a later date to try again.

However, my gut tells me that they will indeed get their paperwork in order and be approved.

They are new to the whole food service, bar industry scene. They seek to open a venue that has about 40 seats and closes at 3 AM.

Z' Bar Cafe

• Hmm, between the name of the place and that CB SLA presentation, it doesn't sound promising. Maybe I can't disassociate it with Q's Tavern and Island CZ Cafe.

What's up with some proprietors feeling the need to let everyone know what the their establishment is? - i.e. Tavern, Bar, Cafe.

Maybe I just prefer an mysterious or misleading name (ie - Franklin Park is not a Park and the Crown Inn is not an Inn) and ambiguity.

• I do hope they have not under estimated the length of time it takes to navigate the DOH and SLA processes.

I believe they are renovating the storefront currently, and the time between when you done renovating and when you can open is brutal on the check book.

....the BBQ place on Nostrand at Union is presently in this brutal stage.

• Z Bar Cafe will next appear on Monday, December 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).

• The owners appeared at the community board committee meeting last night in sharp dress clothes with printed copies of their application and a pen for every board member -- they certainly seem to be trying! The committee voted to support their application for a license - but they'll have to jump through several more hoops to secure rights for the garden/sidewalk cafe.

The owners said they hoped to open in February.

Also, the owners struck me as very genuine and committed - they're a hip and good looking young black man and woman who've never applied for these kinds of licenses before -- just the kind of Mom and Pop shop the CT muffin thread seemed to fear would be crushed out of existence. I wish them the best!

• Hello hello hello hello! A walk through of z'bar café under construction:
    say they're looking for soccer fans. I'll be there for the accent.
  • Hello hello hello hello! A walk through of z'bar café under construction:
    say they're looking for soccer fans, but I'll be there just for that accent.
  • Nice work LP! This man's words were sweet music to my ears! Now I hopefully won't have to travel to Woodwork for a footy session every weekend!
  • Ah, and the name Z'bar Café makes a lot more sense now that we know the owner's from Zanzibar.
  • i love this guy
  • hey-
    Can I get a reader who walks by this place everyday to tell me how construction is looking?

Maybe ask a construction worker how much longer they think they will need?

Thanks.

• I pass by at least 2 times a week at random times and haven't noticed evidence of work.
  • Update:

I reached out to the owner an have been informed they hope to open in May.

So, if all goes as per his plan, we are looking at only 8 - 10 more weeks!

BTW, some weirdness seems to have eliminated the embedded video in Laura's above link. I've brought it back:

• This bar has been chosen to be the location of the Spring 2014 Brooklynian Happy Hour. Details will evolve once it opens:

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43848/the-spring-2014-brooklynian-happy-hour#Item_1

Update: The bar failed to open in the Spring. However, if it opens soon we will go here for our summer gathering: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44288/the-summer-2014-brooklynian-gathering-thursday-july-17th#Item_3
  • I can't wait until Z bar opens. It will be grat to have an open, hopefully watchful establishment on this corner in the evenings.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook