Pelzer's of Philadelphia Pretzels coming to 724 Sterling Pl (near Bedford) — Brooklynian

Pelzer's of Philadelphia Pretzels coming to 724 Sterling Pl (near Bedford)

I believe I am the first to break this news.... We will soon be getting a store that makes, retails and delivers fresh pretzels!

NW corner of Bedford and Sterling:

They already serve Union Market and Smorgasburg, and a bunch of other places so they have an established following!

Here's all the details:

http://pelzerspretzels.com/pages/find-us

http://pelzerspretzels.com/pages/about-us

https://www.facebook.com/PelzersPretzels

Comments

• I wonder if they can be talked into carrying Tastykakes and Frank's sodas.

• A Philadelphia strip of stores would be kind of cool.

By visiting it, you could get a steak and cheese, a pretzel, a Frank's soda, and finish it off with a Tastykake.

• I've spotted random boxes of butterscotch krimpets at several area bodegas.

• we will buy them and eat them and doubly so if they are served with cheese.

• Perhaps needless to say, I expect this business will continue to supply Smorgasburg once it moves to the 1000 Dean/Bergen St complex.

This location will be close by.

One can imagine eating a pretzel in the food court, and then asking, "do you guys sell these in bulk?"

And then being answered: "Why, yes we do. Our retail store is just a few blocks away."

....one could imagine that will be first of several businesses to pursue such a model.

• Grand Opening is this Saturday, Oct 12, 2013

• I was their first customer! Pretzel was DELICIOUS, I just had the plain one, but they have some inventive flavors, and they are indeed selling tastycakes and coffee. It's pretty toasty because they're making the pretzels right there, but other than that, it's a great new addition to the neighborhood.

• We just went and can confirm that the pretzels are excellent. We had a Jalapeno Cheese and an Everything. They have two kinds of mustard, both of which are also delicious.

Reasonably priced at $3. Given how this neighborhood has been lately, I wouldn't have been shocked to see $5 pretzels.

• Larry David Voice: "pretttayyyy, prettttayyyy, prettttayyyy, good"

• Pelzer's made it into Brooklyn Based's roundup of new places to eat on (and just off) Franklin: http://brooklynbased.com/blog/2013/12/02/six-new-spots-to-eat-along-franklin-avenue/

• Their pretzels are stocked at the new Covenhoven bar on Classon.

Customers were eating them last night.
  • They are so good. Store hours are unpredictable.
  • This is just weird.  Feels like some used car lot public access cable ad.  Are they getting desperate?  I mean the folks there are nice and all, but it must be hard making a living off pretzels on a side street. 
  • According to a sign on the door a couple of months ago, they are no longer open for retail business except for Saturdays and Sundays. You've got to purchase online or go to one of the places that sells them if you want one during the week. According to the sign they were going to focus on the wholesale and online business. 
  • Here are the commercials

• Those commercials are so weird! Lol, I agree the first one is like a used car commercial. But at the same time, it's so quirky that I want to try it.
  • When I first heard they were opening up, I didn't think they'd be able to survive by solely selling pretzels. They would work well as a pop up in a bar like Crown Inn or something.
  • When I first heard they were opening up, I didn't think they'd be able to survive by solely selling pretzels. They would work well as a pop up in a bar like Crown Inn or something.
    Maybe they should try to join the Smorgasburg in Prospect Park?

By the way, I liked their pretzels. However, my dude who was born and bred in Philly doesn't think they are authentic enough.
  • Yeah, I think they could also do well in a market setting like Smorgasburg or Berg'n. A standalone shop for a single type of snack will have a hard time attracting enough customers to cover the cost of maintaining a commercial space. Pretzels just don't have the same allure of ice cream, donuts, bagels, etc. (even those don't always succeed). If they had a little central kitchen somewhere and distributed to bars, coffee shops, and worked some food and farmer's markets, maybe the combined revenue would be fine. Or perhaps a sandwich/coffee shop highlighting their pretzels and using pretzel buns for sandwiches, and serving a wider variety of items would be attract more people.

My number 1 vote (not that they've asked for suggestions, ha) would be to distribute to bars, but I don't know the legality of serving food not made on premises or what permits are needed. There are many bars that don't serve food and Pretzels would be a huge hit, especially if they were the only option. Crown Inn, Union Street Pub, Washington Commons...I'd never go out of my way to buy pretzels, but would definitely have one at a bar.
This discussion has been closed.