KATSUEI freaking amAAZING (new restaurant on 3rd st/7th ave)
  • Fearing another disaster to come into the 3rd st/7th ave abode, my husband and i ventured into KATSUEI during it's 'slow opening.' When it was going up I remember thinking 'oh great, yet ANOTHER crap japanese restaurant' but boy was I eating my words tonight.

NB- i am IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED with the restaurant. I am just chirping as it was an INCREDIBLE experience and unlike anything I've experienced outside of Japan.

During their 'slow opening' (through Halloween i believe... not sure) they were offering for $25/person a mini (or for $45 a regular/large) selection of hand curated sushi straight from the sushi bar. Every piece was so delicious in every single way imaginable it nearly made me shiver.

The people working there are Japanese and absolutely lovely. It's exactly what 7th avenue has truly been needing. A top quality Japanese restaurant that is not just rice maki with the occasional sliver of day's old fish. My mouth is still watering.

The food is beyond exceptional (the sugarsnap salad is so crazy good i nearly pushed my husband away to grab the last bits) and the place/atmosphere aesthetically perfect.

I would recommend everyone run to have this incredibly special experience.

So much better than the proposed KFC....

• I had dinner there last Friday. The fish is frigging amazing. I didn't have any of the apps or kitchen food, unfortunately. Just very delicious, fresh and well prepared sushi/sashimi.

• this may be embarrassing but i went back there tonight as I couldn't stop thinking about their food. they are definitely OPEN!

they have a far more extensive menu and, again, their sushi blew my tastebuds to a new dimension.

this time i took photos. the other customers thought me crazy.

until they tasted theirs.

then they started taking photos.

they are the real deal.

an absolute treat.

now all i have to do is convince my husband that exquisite sushi is something that must be experienced WEEKLY.

see photos below....

Attached files image image image image
  • chaplinsmom said:

this may be embarrassing but i went back there tonight as I couldn't stop thinking about their food. they are definitely OPEN!

they have a far more extensive menu and, again, their sushi blew my tastebuds to a new dimension.

this time i took photos. the other customers thought me crazy.

until they tasted theirs.

then they started taking photos.

they are the real deal.

an absolute treat.

now all i have to do is convince my husband that exquisite sushi is something that must be experienced WEEKLY.

see photos below....

Attached files image image image image
  • chaplinsmom said:

Attached files image image
  • I went again tonight as well: Their fatty tuna is simply out of this frigging world. The uni is probably the best I've had in the states. I really hope they stay in business and don't lose quality control in the process.

• I went based on the enthusiasm above, and i absolutely loved it. Great fresh fish and fantastic service. I do think they need to freshen up the look of the outdoor space and make some improvements to the interior design, as it is a bit dark, but these are small quibbles for the the glorious food.

• YES!

I just went in for the third time in 2 weeks (i'm fearing becoming a groupie...) and it was as delicious as ever. Again I splurged for the omikase and i swear, there were pieces equivalent to a waterfall... cascading with crashing waves of flavor. I am serious. Even my husband was blown away. We left floating. Just outstanding.

I wanted to take more photos but restrained myself... but every piece was a piece of art.

And people there are so lovely.

This time I also had the ice cream with red beans and i nearly licked the bowl clean.

... will be hard to eat anything else for a while...

• YES!

I just went in for the third time in 2 weeks (i'm fearing becoming a groupie...) and it was as delicious as ever. Again I splurged for the omikase and i swear, there were pieces equivalent to a waterfall... cascading with crashing waves of flavor. I am serious. Even my husband was blown away. We left floating. Just outstanding.

I wanted to take more photos but restrained myself... but every piece was a piece of art.

And people there are so lovely.

This time I also had the ice cream with red beans and i nearly licked the bowl clean.

... will be hard to eat anything else for a while...

• Given the raves here, I went last night. The miso soup was outstanding, but I thought the sushi rice was overcooked. But the main problem for me is how brightly lit the place is. It would be much more pleasant if they'd dim the lights. That seems like an easy fix. I agree that the staff is very pleasant.

• I completely agree. It's an amazing and special addition to the n'hood.

• um, dont know why those pics are of an empty apartment. they should be of amazing sushi. weird.EAT HERE!
  • I hope that some ancient apartment advertisement post on Brooklynian, now features Sushi photos.It would be fair.
  • omg whynot_31. that would be outstanding.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook