Federal Trespass Affidavit Program (F.T.A.P.)
  • Some of the tenants in my building have raised the possibility of getting the landlord to enroll us in this program, which registers residential building with the NYPD, providing them with a tenant roster. The police can then arrest anyone who is trespassing.

Here's some info.

I don't like this idea one bit. While we've had some problems with trespassing, I think this could be reduced if the landlord would simply implement some security upgrades we've been asking him to do, and I am not at ALL comfortable with the idea of the NYPD roaming the hallways of our building. However, some other tenants are rarin' to sign up for this thing.

Are any of you in buildings that participate in this program? What's it like? Have there been any privacy/civil liberties concerns for tenants?
  • Whoa. I don't like that one bit. Too much potential for abuse and for a landlord to selectively target a tenant that they want out (say for noise, or personality or whatever) under the guise of looking for drugs or illegal activity.

Holy smokes!

Where's Idlewild? Come in, Idlewild
  • I know, right? Sadly, so far it looks like everyone else is all gung-ho to sign up for it and I'm the only one who's expressed any reservations.

I just talked with an attorney at the New York Civil Liberties Union who tells me that they've had lots of complaints about the program -- nothing that's reached the level of a lawsuit yet, but several reports of people who were legitimate visitors to the building who ended up arrested and even strip-searched. They don't have any materials or reports or anything they could share with me, though, so I'm not sure that I'm going to have anything to back me up when I argue against this thing at our next tenants' meeting.

So seriously, if anyone has any stories, please pipe up.
  • Never lived in a building with this, but I've got some impressions based upon discussions I've heard at precinct council and block association meetings.

The sense that I get is that this program is pushed/advocated more for buildings where there is a problem with drug sales, prostitution, gambling, illegal clubs etc. As far as I know, the landlords don't really have a lot to do with the program once they've enrolled the buildings. The police have a set of keys to the front door which they use for patrolmen to do roof-to-door foot patrols. They are don'e by the beat cops. The buildings also get those lovely signs that say tresspassers will be prosecuted, etc. You might find that the landlord is against this because it does tend to stigmatize the buildings as "problems".

I've always been a fan of this for buildings that are large (with hundreds of units) where its difficult to impossible to track comings and goings and neighbors can't recognize one another, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for smaller apartment buildings unless tenants are openly engaged in illegal activity and the landlord doesn't have any other recourse.

Appollonia, I sense you guys have more of the door not being pulled shut, occasional stranger type issues rather than any truly serious problems, so I'd tell you to go with your gut on this.
  • Subject: F.T.A.P. - Frightening Total Access Program of the NYPD

It's a sunny spring evening. I'm on my roof, enjoying a beer & a phone call to my brother when three NYPD cops walk onto my roof. I tell my brother there are cops on my roof and hang up the phone.

The cops tell me that I can be arrested, right then and there for being on my own roof through a new program called FTAP.

I think it's unbelievable that the NYPD can arrest a tenant for trespassing in my own building that I signed a lease and pay rent for.

I live in the United States of America and I treasure my freedom. Especially at home. This new program really nerves me.

If anyone has any other information about this program, I'd be very interested. There is no law written online that I could find and 311 has heard absolutely nothing of it either. Unbelievable.

FTAP is F'D UP.
  • That's total bullshit. If your lease gives you roof access, they can't keep you off of it.
  • Did your lease include enjoying a beer & a phone call to your brother while lounging on your roof?

I doubt it.
  • MeredithB wrote: Did your lease include enjoying a beer & a phone call to your brother while lounging on your roof?

I doubt it.

If the lease includes roof access, then yes it did.
  • MeredithB wrote: Did your lease include enjoying a beer & a phone call to your brother while lounging on your roof?

I doubt it.

I'm sure if you were arrested on your own roof, you'd be pretty unhappy as well.
  • what's the link? (can't get it to work..)
  • vanilla wrote: what's the link? (can't get it to work..)

Dunno if this is the original link or not, but here is some info:
    http://www.brooklynda.org/f-tap/f-tap.htm
  • Thinking of moving to a building on Flatbush btwn parkside and Clarkson that is part of the F-tap program. How safe is this bldg.? What does this mean for us as tenants and giving the cops access to our apt? Can they search the place for any reason? loud music? Are they allowed in for loud music?
  • The program allows police to access the common areas, such as hallways and roof.

• The buildings across the street from my office on St. Johns are part of this too. I was told (but haven't confirmed) that they are zero tolerance buildings and that if you're hanging out in front of the building you can be arrested if you don't live there. Of course this is because there's LOTS of drugs being sold out of them.
  • Yes, the landlords of buildings that are drug involved are encouraged to sign up for the program.

Does anyone know if the enrollment automatically expires after a period of time?

In western CH, there were a lot of buildings on St Johns that used be drug involved and were signed up for FTAP, but now are not drug involved.

....if the police were incredibly bored, could they still enter those lobbies and hallways using the "old" permission of the landlord?
  • I've seen the cops go up to the roof in the past, not so much now. But I'm pretty sure they could if they wanted to. From speaking to some officers 1280 is the #1 building for 911 calls in the precinct so they're there quite a bit anyhow.
  • We used to have NYPD members post on this board, but now there are very strict rules about representing themselves as police on social media sites.

...they are certainly in some buildings regularly. The landlord of 1280 St. John's certainly has their work cut out for them:

• BTW, the name of the program is actually Formal Trespass Affidavit Program (not Federal Trespass Affidavit Program as stated in the OP.) It is also known as the Clean Halls Program.

Recently, the ACLU was able to curtail the NYPDs use of the program, but the underlying program was found to be legal. Here's the complaint filed by the ACLU:

http://www.nyclu.org/files/releases/Clean_Halls_complaint_3.28.12.PDF

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook