70'S AND 80'S — Brooklynian

70'S AND 80'S

Subject: 70'S AND 80'S

Looking for people who grew up in the area during the 70's and 80's? Looking to get this forum going with some catching up on old times. Prospect Park, Farrell's, Holy Name schoolyard, Iced Tea's from Henry's, etc.

Comments

• Subject: Re: 70'S AND 80'S

Old School wrote: Looking for people who grew up in the area during the 70's and 80's? Looking to get this forum going with some catching up on old times. Prospect Park, Farrell's, Holy Name schoolyard, Iced Tea's from Henry's, etc.
    ......................contact denis hamill, he's still in the 70's
  • I grew up here in the 80's. What exactly do you want to know about those times?
  • I grew up on Prospect near Greenwood... moved away in 85. As kids in the 70s we had a great time, on the "bad" side of the bridge! I never had a drink in Farrells because it was known as a "man's" bar..... but I did have "take out " many times (in a cardboard pint? or quart?) I don't know anyone who is still in the neighborhood. Hope all the old crew is OK....
  • I grew up here in the 80s too although I don't remember Henrys. Where was that?
  • I don't remember Henry's either...there was Harold's on E 3rd and Ft Hamilton Pkwy.....
  • Who remembers that comic book store called Brain Damage that use to be on Prospect Ave by Greenwood? It was unbelievable how many really valuable old comics that guy had in there. But that guy had a real attitude towards his customers. And it was widely rumored that guy was selling drugs to a lot of the kids that went in there.
  • MrsLimestone wrote: I grew up here in the 80s too although I don't remember Henrys. Where was that?
    Henrys was a Deli at Prospect Ave and PPW and is now owned by a very nice Korean couple
  • Hmmm..I remember a video store on Prospect and 10th Avenue but I don't remember a bodega on Prospect and PPW. Was it where Bargainland was?

Anyone remember Steffys on Vanderbuilt?
  • Yes! I remember Packy’s video store on 10th ave by the corner of Prospect ave! They had everything there! All kinds of old movies. One of the best video stores I ever went to. I do miss that place… Packy’s was run by an Irish family and it was only family members who ever worked behind the counter. I think it actually started as a Deli decades earlier and somehow turned into a video store in the 80’s.

In the 80’s and early 90’s there was a Deli right across the street from Packy’s (in the space that Hardware store is in now)…….. But I think you’re talking about a different Deli, the one that is still there (under new management) on 9th ave by the corner of Prospect ave, right next door to where Bargainland use to be (and that 99 cents store is now).
  • Is the old movie house near Church and MacDonald still around?
  • The Beverly has been closed for quite a while
  • That movie theater is long gone. So is the one on Kings Highway, Bay Parkway, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Fulton Street, and a lot of others. I hear even the movie theater in Kings Plaza is closing soon, if not gone already. A lot of movie theaters are closing down.

In Windso Terrace, I’m told that many decades ago there was a movie theater called Venus on Prospect Avenue by the corner of Vanderbilt st. I obviously have no memory of that. But I do remember a video store in the 80’s and 90’s called Venus Video that was a block or 2 down Prospect Ave…. I guess Venus Video was named after this old movie theater?
  • Back in the 80s, after hanging out at the Beverley or the neighborhood pizzerias, I enjoyed sitting back and relaxing to the groovy music and shows played n WLIR-FM:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgMuW6Vsf8

WLIR was the greatest station I ever listened to. See the following link's sections on the 70s and 80s format at that station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLIR-FM

Funny, creative, entertaining, and very pioneering!
  • Who remembers that store Boys of Summer on 9th ave btwn Prospect ave & Windsor pl (in the space where Babbo’s books is now)? They had a great collection of old baseball cards, autographed baseballs, bats, and everything. They even had a few comics, and an arcade game in the back I use to play sometimes. They were there up until probably around 1997 I think.
  • YankeeFan wrote: That movie theater is long gone. So is the one on Kings Highway, Bay Parkway, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Fulton Street, and a lot of others. I hear even the movie theater in Kings Plaza is closing soon, if not gone already. A lot of movie theaters are closing down.

In Windso Terrace, I’m told that many decades ago there was a movie theater called Venus on Prospect Avenue by the corner of Vanderbilt st. I obviously have no memory of that. But I do remember a video store in the 80’s and 90’s called Venus Video that was a block or 2 down Prospect Ave…. I guess Venus Video was named after this old movie theater?
    The july 10th addition of the Brooklyn Eagle states The New Venus closed in 1950.
  • YankeeFan wrote: Who remembers that store Boys of Summer on 9th ave btwn Prospect ave & Windsor pl (in the space where Babbo’s books is now)? They had a great collection of old baseball cards, autographed baseballs, bats, and everything. They even had a few comics, and an arcade game in the back I use to play sometimes. They were there up until probably around 1997 I think.
    Boys of Summer, of course, I used to be up in there playing Mortal Kombat during my seminal years, lol. :lol:

Remember the short time when Rays & Otto's (also known as 'Luv's') had arcade games in the back, but later had to get rid of them cuz kids were getting robbed back there? I remember getting into a few scraps over a game of Strider. :lol:
  • Subject: Re: 70'S AND 80'S

Old School wrote: Looking for people who grew up in the area during the 70's and 80's? Looking to get this forum going with some catching up on old times. Prospect Park, Farrell's, Holy Name schoolyard, Iced Tea's from Henry's, etc.
    Speaking of Henry's, what was the name of that Chinese ice cream shop with the Italian name close to where Sovereign bank is now? The place that used to only open for like 2 months a year? I remember a rumor going around that that Chinese family were millionaires, and used to go back to China during the winter and live like kings off of our cherry slush money. :lol:

Also don't forget Chinese Jimmy's stationary store next to Oak Park, still going strong after all these years. I used to be up in there buying Matchbox Cars when I was barely old enough to walk; over 30yrs later Jimmy still looks the same. 8)
  • Jimmy is actually Korean I think, but yeah he's a great guy. He's been there as long as I can remember. Probably he was there since before I was born. I went there as a kid to buy comics and candy, now I sometimes buy newspapers. But he's always a nice guy to say hi to.
  • Obamanut wrote: Remember the short time when Rays & Otto's (also known as 'Luv's') had arcade games in the back, but later had to get rid of them cuz kids were getting robbed back there? I remember getting into a few scraps over a game of Strider. :lol:
    I don't remember that. Where was that?
  • How long has Krupa's Grocery Newstand (on 9th ave btwn Windsor pl & 16th st) been there? It's been there as long as I can remember, and everything inside still looks exactly the same as 20 years ago. But the sign outside is different.
  • Anyone remember back in the late 80’s whenever you’d walk by the PS 154 school yard at night, you’d always see a crew of about 5 teenagers hanging out literally inside the garbage dumpster smoking cigarettes. They were crazy kids. Then one night I saw fire trucks heading over there and I assumed one of those kids accidentally started a big fire. I never saw them hanging out there again.
  • I grew up on 20th Street and 8th Avenue during the 70's and 80's. Went to Holy Name and Bishop Ford H.S., An answer to the question, what was the name of the ice cream store that was open for 2 months it was Bonali's Ice Cream Store. It was next door to a card shop which was next to Smith Son's Funeral Home. Is Billard's Pharmacy still on the corner of 16th Street and 9th Avenue? Is Regina Bakery still on the corner of Prospect Avenue and 9th Avenue?
  • Italian Princess wrote: I grew up on 20th Street and 8th Avenue during the 70's and 80's. Went to Holy Name and Bishop Ford H.S., An answer to the question, what was the name of the ice cream store that was open for 2 months it was Bonali's Ice Cream Store. It was next door to a card shop which was next to Smith Son's Funeral Home. Is Billard's Pharmacy still on the corner of 16th Street and 9th Avenue? Is Regina Bakery still on the corner of Prospect Avenue and 9th Avenue?
    I also went to Holy Name and Bishop Ford.. you may be a few years ahead of me though.

Bonali's, hahaha right, the Chinese ice cream parlor with the Italian name open 2 mos a year.

Ballard's is still there, surprisingly. So is Regina's, however Regina's moved the bakery to the little backroom part, with an entrance on Prospect Ave., and turned the old bakery into (their attempt at) a foo-foo restaurant to attract the yuppie newcomer contingent.
  • I graduated Bishop Ford in 1981. When did you graduate? My sister in law that lives in Vegas introduced me to this site. I think it so awesome to be able to connect with people from the old neighborhood and old class mates. Do you still live in the Slope?
  • I graduated (or should I say, was ejected) from Ford in the mid-nineties. By that time it had degraded to a point where it was worse than the public schools, if you can believe that. Then again, I heard the 80's was pretty wild at Ford, with "Pill Hill" and all that.

Nowadays, Ford is actually supposed to be much improved--they have a zero tolerance policy for fighting, etc.. When I was there, I remember people throwing chairs across classrooms, people smoking in the back of class, and straight up brawls in the cafeteria.

As for me, yeah I am still in the Slope, only because I own here--however though I have just about reached a boiling point due to how ridiculous this neighborhood has become.

I can feel the day is coming soon when I'll give in to temptation, call up some broker to rent my place out to yuppies willing to pay anything for my park-view crib, and just use their parent-supplied rent money to pay off a mortgage on a place somewhere in Queens where normal working people still live.

As a sidenote, you're not going to find many people from the old neighborhood on this board, that's for sure.. totally different group of people.
  • Thank you for your response. I am saddened to hear that about Ford. It actually was fun when I was there. I can't believe one's parent would pay so much for the tuition and then start class room brawls and smoke in the back of the classroom. When I went there, they had a smoking box in the school yard for people who wanted to smoke. When I attended that school my parents paid $2,500.00 per year. Back then that was a lot of money. And that was the going rate for all the Catholic High Schools in the area. St. Brendans, OLPH, etc. I was hoping to find some of the people I attended school with. But, it's nice to correspond with someone that I don't know anyway. I was born and raised in Park Slope. Went back about 6 years ago to bury my father and never went back again. Didn't really take notice as to the neighborhoods, etc. as I was focused on the passing of my father. Thanks again for your reply.
  • Italian Princess- did you post on the Old Park SLope "When" blog? Many people wrote in to find out who you are and whether or not you were at the reunion.
    Where did you live in Park Slope. I was born on 24 street and now live on 29 street.The blog kind of sounded like it was all BFF's from the day but to my surprise, there were younger people there too.
    Figuring from your graduation date you are probably my daughter's age.
    My neice graduated from Ford but that was in the 90's.
    I've been in this neighborhood all my life (53 years) and probably know some people you knew way back when.
    Ok, have a great evening and let me know if I can help you reconnect.

Fran
  • I did not attend the reunion unfortunately. I would have like to though. I lived on 20th Street and 8th Avenue. I am 45 years old and graduated Ford in 1981. I have brothers and sisters though, my oldest brother is 59 and my other brother is 55. My sisters are 57 and 58. I am the baby of 5. I hung out on 19th Street and 20th Street, also knew people who went to John Jay H.S. My sister's attended Sarah J. Hale, H.S. I wonder if you know my sister they called her Acey Ducey and my brother was known as Nipper. I would love to re-connect with some of my old friends. It's been years since we have connected. I moved out of the slope when I was 20 and moved to Dyker Heights. From there I moved to Sarasota, Florida. Thank you for responding. Hope to hear from you soon.
  • Hi--
    Why don't you go back to the Park Slope when blog and ask if anyone knows your family. I am so sure they do because at the reunion, there were poeple from 35 to 83.
    You know what? Email me. I will try to make some kind of connection for you.
    Faystar@aol.com
  • Does anyone remember what was in the space of Roman's Shoe Repair before Roman was there?

I do remember that used book store that was next door to Roman's for a while (where the flower store is now). It was there until the late 90's. Then there was a comic book/toy store there for only a year or so. I use to really like the comic store, but hardly anybody else went there.
  • I lived on vanderbilt street at prospect avenue from 1964 to 1974. That old movie theater on the corner was an american legion during the time I lived, my father was a member, so me and brother always got to play inside that bulding. we would run all over that place exlporing, they still had the projection room upstairs, for two young kids this place was great fun ! Back then if you went down prospect avenue from vanderbilt street, on the right there was a short row of houses, then stores, the ones I remeber were a shoe repair place, a store that we called the candy store, the front of the store sold candy and chips and newspapers and the rest of the store was an old time counter and stools, soda fountain type place, then a couple stores down was the A & P grocery store, then a row of houses, then the subway and the crossover over the expressway to the park, I cant remember the name of that park. We went to school at IHM, and also went to Immaculate heart of Mary church. i have been searching the internet trying to find pictures, I found one good one of the school, but I can not find a good one of the church, which I believe is still there. If anyone has a good picture of that church I would love to get a copy, or any pics from the old neighborhood would be great, I would even enjoy current pictures of vanderbilt street across from the old movie theater/american legion. we lived at 519 vanderbilt street, man I miss brooklyn !
This discussion has been closed.