Universal Video closed- what's going in next? — Brooklynian

Universal Video closed- what's going in next?

Subject: Universal Video closed- what's going in next?

They had a going out of business sale today and the sign says they are closing after 20 years. I was wondering how long they could sustain the business. Does anyone know if something else is planned for the space? The old check cashing place across the street is still vacant so it would not be good to have two large empty spaces on PPW.

Comments

• Subject: ppw closings

you'll probably see more closing as the rents are excessive and too many stores with the same product
  • We were sad (but not surprised) to see the video store was moving out. We had a membership there in addition to Netflix. I liked going in there because it smelled like photo processing chemicals. MMMM fixer!!

Anyway, I hope something moves in soon. Hopefully it won't be a bank.

I'm surprised at how long the Traditions Organic food storefront has been vacant. And when the heck is that brick oven pizza place going to open?!
  • A couple of weeks ago all the doors/windows were open in the pizza place and it looked like work was substantially complete, so hopefully they will open soon. It's not good to have all those empty storefronts.
  • Any more insight as to what's happening with the Universal Video store?

That is a PRIME location.

Isn't there a business bureau to contact for that info?
  • Subject: Different things to eat

lanciano wrote: We were sad (but not surprised) to see the video store was moving out. We had a membership there in addition to Netflix. I liked going in there because it smelled like photo processing chemicals. MMMM fixer!!

Anyway, I hope something moves in soon. Hopefully it won't be a bank.

I'm surprised at how long the Traditions Organic food storefront has been vacant. And when the heck is that brick oven pizza place going to open?!
    A Pet food store just opened in the Traditions site

Regarding the pizza place no one knows, but the guy that worked there was punched out by a Farrells client and hasn't been seen since..
  • Subject: Re: Different things to eat

Hamilton wrote: Regarding the pizza place no one knows, but the guy that worked there was punched out by a Farrells client and hasn't been seen since..
    wha?!?! can i say how much i HATE farrells and the clowns who hang out there?!?!?
  • Subject: Re: Different things to eat

shishkab wrote: [quote=Hamilton] Regarding the pizza place no one knows, but the guy that worked there was punched out by a Farrells client and hasn't been seen since..
    wha?!?! can i say how much i HATE farrells and the clowns who hang out there?!?!?**********************************************
    They are a dying breed.
    If you've seen one drunk ,you've seen them all.
  • Farrell's itself is wonderful. I've been there some with my wife. We spend under $10 total and have a wonderful time drinking, watching baseball, etc. Granted, we get some looks from the "regulars" (we're young—30—and not pissed at the young people so that's a cause for concern with the regulars).

I do grant you that there are some surly folks there, and a few drunkards who have no business being served alchohol. Plus, sometimes you get the 2 or 3 spinsters from Sheepshead Bay looking for a good time with a firefighter. Those ladies are hilarious! I almost expect Melanie Griffith's Working Girl to come out of the bathroom giggling with them.

And, some unfortunates from the women's shelter frequently hang out outside for freebies.

And of course, we have groups of really thick accented Brooklynites who get super upset with you if you stare at them or say something bad about Jorge Posada.

They like to yell really loud and goat people into saying something about it. They spend copious amounts of minutes loudly asking each other what they're doing: "Yo! YO! Whaddaya doin'?! Whaddaya doin'? I'm askin you what you're doin. Whaddaya gonna do? Come on, I mean, come on, where are you goin', come on, yeah, I mean, know what I mean, whaddaya gonna do, you know?" Their three most frequent answers to questions are: "Yeah." "Nah." Or "Nuthin."
  • well, i'm glad you like the place. and i mean that with no sarcasm. but i didn't like it when i moved here, and i liked it even less when on sept. 12, 2001 a bunch of drunk asshats staggered across the street to mess with the poor syrians running the shop there. there were a few of us standing around with our big dogs (just chatting, but glad to be in the right place at the right time, nonetheless) and we blocked the way. the asshats thought better about messing with the dogs, but when they went back inside the bar i followed and watched as the bartender and others shook their hands.

i'll never forget it. gave me chills.

and i still see some of those asshats hanging out in there. any place that CONDONES hate deserves my cold shoulder. cop/FDNY hangout or no, i could care less if farrell's burned.

sorry. off the soapbox now.
  • nyco wrote: Farrell's itself is wonderful. I've been there some with my wife. We spend under $10 total and have a wonderful time drinking, watching baseball, etc. Granted, we get some looks from the "regulars" (we're young—30—and not pissed at the young people so that's a cause for concern with the regulars).

I do grant you that there are some surly folks there, and a few drunkards who have no business being served alchohol. Plus, sometimes you get the 2 or 3 spinsters from Sheepshead Bay looking for a good time with a firefighter. Those ladies are hilarious! I almost expect Melanie Griffith's Working Girl to come out of the bathroom giggling with them.

And, some unfortunates from the women's shelter frequently hang out outside for freebies.

And of course, we have groups of really thick accented Brooklynites who get super upset with you if you stare at them or say something bad about Jorge Posada.

They like to yell really loud and goat people into saying something about it. They spend copious amounts of minutes loudly asking each other what they're doing: "Yo! YO! Whaddaya doin'?! Whaddaya doin'? I'm askin you what you're doin. Whaddaya gonna do? Come on, I mean, come on, where are you goin', come on, yeah, I mean, know what I mean, whaddaya gonna do, you know?" Their three most frequent answers to questions are: "Yeah." "Nah." Or "Nuthin."
    Next time try Circles ,
    the tv's are great,
    the bartenders are great,
    the clients are great and sub titles are not required to determine what is being said.
    I actually had an incident with one of Farrells clients , I stepped on his hand as he was going to his car.
  • the place that opened in the old "traditions" space is Vivian's place. She was at All Fo(u)r Paws and it's now called something like "fur, feathers and fins".
  • I swear to God, neighborhood property values would probably triple if Farrell's closed for good.
  • Yosimite Samantha wrote: I swear to God, neighborhood property values would probably triple if Farrell's closed for good.
    I'll drink to that
  • nyco wrote:
    Next time try Circles ,
    the tv's are great,
    the clients are great and sub titles are not required to determine what is being said.
    I actually had an incident with one of Farrells clients , I stepped on his hand as he was going to his car.
    You need subtitles? Listen more carefully. Or move someplace where everybody sounds like you.
  • Alicia A wrote: [quote=nyco]
    Next time try Circles ,
    the tv's are great,
    You need subtitles? Listen more carefully. Or move someplace where everybody sounds like you.
    NYCO didn't write that ,where you live does everybody read like you
  • Subject: Universal Videos

One of the store owners on PPW was advised a Dunkin Donuts is going to open in that location
  • Subject: Re: Universal Videos

Hamilton wrote: One of the store owners on PPW was advised a Dunkin Donuts is going to open in that location
    Dunkin Donuts right next to Conneticut Muffi. Who is the genius who came up with this plan?
  • Subject: Re: Universal Videos

Flexichick wrote: [quote=Hamilton]One of the store owners on PPW was advised a Dunkin Donuts is going to open in that location
    Dunkin Donuts right next to Conneticut Muffi. Who is the genius who came up with this plan?

I guess after doing the demographics DD decided there is a client base on PPW not being reached by Conn. Muffin and they can fill the void.

I hope they don't run it in the same manner the 9th&5th shop is.
    their donuts were stale and it was not unusual to see junkies nodding face down on the tables

Sounds like something to look forward too.
  • If this is true, the neighborhood just took a huge hit.
  • nyco wrote: If this is true, the neighborhood just took a huge hit.
    I thought I heard it coughing.
  • y'all may be correct about DD, but for what it's worth they have been saying that DD is opening on PPW for about 3 years now.
This discussion has been closed.