Today's NYT: Crime in PH — Brooklynian

Today's NYT: Crime in PH

Subject: Today's NYT: Crime in PH

This article has been linked in other threads, but I think it'd be easy to miss so . . .
NYT Dispatches
Crime Is Low, but Fear Knows No Numbers
By JAKE MOONEY
Published: December 16, 2007
Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, is wealthier than ever and statistically the city is at its safest point in recent memory. But that doesn’t mean the neighborhood’s residents don’t sometimes worry.
This is the same reporter that did the piece in the NYT City Blog last week that linked back to this site
Crime Is Down, but Brooklyn Talks It Up

Comments

• not quite up to the high journalistic standard established by his recent "i went into mooney's b/c my name is mooney" piece.
  • bill c wrote: not quite up to the high journalistic standard established by his recent "i went into mooney's b/c my name is mooney" piece.
    :lol: so true
  • yah, it seems the only research he did was talk to one super of a building in the neighborhood and read this board. I also enjoyed deciphering the PC code words in the article IE. friendly looking people = the new white people that have moved into the neighborhood.
  • let's hope that all of the attention from the article will help make the police do more..or atleast make city hall give more officers to the area. You would think that groups like those involved with the development of such high-end projects like Richard Meier building would also start lobbying the police...it potentially hurts their sales.
  • I agree that this article was silly and poorly-conceived. Genuine journalists quote from a variety of sources, not the opinions of one person and postings from an anonymous message board.
  • Not a very inspired article. You know, I had a conversation with the guy down the street and he said crime was going to go down. I am going to write an article and put it into the monthly bulliten. At least there will be an article that states crime is going down. My distinguished credentials as a journalist include writing for the Hillside Grade School Gazzette where I won 2nd prize for my article entitled "Elios's Pizza: We don't like it anymore" in 1978.
  • Wow...somehow I had missed both these journalistic gems.

I've noticed a big spike in articles that are generated by taking blog threads and then wrapping a print news story around them. Perhaps it's because of the many writers who live in Brooklyn, but a lot of these seem to center in/around PS and PH.

This is unbelievably lazy, pedestrian journalism.
  • Interesting, but there was NOTHING informative about that article.
    Mr Santiago who?
    A neighbor, yea, but.....still. I got nothing out of that.
  • i'm really scared of all the crime. that writer has clearly never known the sheer, bowel-emptying terror of walking down the stretch of vanderbilt avenue between the cookie shop and the gourmet pannini spot.

also, brooklynian is an awesome site.
  • The article was a pretty lazy piece of journalism, but violence and crime DO happen on Vanderbilt, even though those kind of things probably don't happen as frequently there as on other streets in the area. Take LeeHo's thread about getting randomly punched in the face on Vandy just last week, for instance.

And there have been plenty of discussions about how crime victims are routinely discouraged from filing police reports. The city's official statistics aren't necessarily accurate statistics.
  • Wow, surprised at the reax here.
    This wasn't a hard news piece - it was one of those portrait-y things in the Sunday "City" section. I think it reflects something that's in the air here, and does so responsibly and with context.
    (/shrug)
  • pitu wrote: Wow, surprised at the reax here.
    This wasn't a hard news piece - it was one of those portrait-y things in the Sunday "City" section. I think it reflects something that's in the air here, and does so responsibly and with context.
    (/shrug)
    I'm with you Pitu. Folks here are itching for John Stossel or 60 Minutes to uncover a PHeights scandal or somethin.
  • I think these profile pieces in the City section should use a small story to paint a wider profile of a neighborhood. I think an uninformed person would walk away with the wrong idea about PH. You could go to just about any neighborhood in NYC and find one super who could tell these kind of stories.

Ok, enough on that...gotta go put on my black hooded sweatshirt and pick an iPhone off a yuppie tree.
  • I just think it's funny that new residents are being referred to as "rich people." I guess cause PH and CH are now the trendy places for the rich to settle down.
  • Guy I work with just got stuck up on Atlantic Ave. last night.

Be veeeewy careful. 8)
  • Actually the rich people are the ones who have sold and left PH and CH!
  • yea, it is kind of funny that new residents are considered wealthy. i moved here because it was one of the only decent neighborhoods where i could afford a place of my own.

restless, did the perpetrator have a gun?
This discussion has been closed.