Brooklyn's Most Squalid, PLG Edition: 115 Ocean Ave.
  • Right across the street from Prospect Park. They have 444 open violations right now, according to the News.

Toilets without water, flooding ceilings, leaky radiators and a front vestibule door that never closes top the list of complaints at Brooklyn’s worst apartment buildings.
  • It's also right around the corner from the Lincoln Road entrance for the Prospect Park train station.

I'm glad that these kinds of conditions are coming to light. 
  • As the housing crunch accelerates, housing conditions often get worse because low income tenants lose the power to demand better conditions.

The issue is also getting a lot of coverage because DeBlasio stated he was going to change it during his campaign.

Many are realizing just how hard these problems are to solve. ....having a new Mayor might not be enough.

• The speculation is that landlords intentionally let buildings like this go to seed to put pressure on tenants to move on. Not saying there is a hidden motive here. That certainly is a prime location, right across from the park. 

There was a video on NYTimes.com last week where a tenant in Williamsburg was accusing the landlord of doing just this. I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • whynot_31 said:

Many are realizing just how hard these problems are to solve. ....having a new Mayor might not be enough.

At least there is a mayor who seems sympathetic to the problem. The previous administration was viewed as being more sympathetic to enthusiastic developers at the expense of lower and middle-income tenants.

Most of the open DOB violations relate to the building's elevators according to the city's database. The most recent complains have been about the elevators. 
  • Yes, Brooklynian, when a landlord perceives that there are richer/better potential tenants than the ones presently in their building, such tactics arise.

Hopefully DeBlasio will be measured on his success more than his intent.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook