Brooklyn's Most Squalid, PLG Edition: 115 Ocean Ave. — Brooklynian

Brooklyn's Most Squalid, PLG Edition: 115 Ocean Ave.

Right across the street from Prospect Park. They have 444 open violations right now, according to the News.

Toilets without water, flooding ceilings, leaky radiators and a front vestibule door that never closes top the list of complaints at Brooklyn’s worst apartment buildings.

Comments

• It's also right around the corner from the Lincoln Road entrance for the Prospect Park train station.

I'm glad that these kinds of conditions are coming to light. 
  • As the housing crunch accelerates, housing conditions often get worse because low income tenants lose the power to demand better conditions.

The issue is also getting a lot of coverage because DeBlasio stated he was going to change it during his campaign.

Many are realizing just how hard these problems are to solve. ....having a new Mayor might not be enough.

• edited March 2014
    The speculation is that landlords intentionally let buildings like this go to seed to put pressure on tenants to move on. Not saying there is a hidden motive here. That certainly is a prime location, right across from the park. 

There was a video on NYTimes.com last week where a tenant in Williamsburg was accusing the landlord of doing just this. I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • edited March 2014
    Many are realizing just how hard these problems are to solve. ....having a new Mayor might not be enough.

At least there is a mayor who seems sympathetic to the problem. The previous administration was viewed as being more sympathetic to enthusiastic developers at the expense of lower and middle-income tenants.

Most of the open DOB violations relate to the building's elevators according to the city's database. The most recent complains have been about the elevators. 
  • edited March 2014
    Yes, Brooklynian, when a landlord perceives that there are richer/better potential tenants than the ones presently in their building, such tactics arise.

Hopefully DeBlasio will be measured on his success more than his intent.
This discussion has been closed.