New Bar/Restaurant Coming to PLG: Midwood Flats
  • I know residents of Prospect Lefferts are getting curious about what looks like it's becoming a bar on Flatbush and Midwood. It's got a cool look.  Although it's hard to tell whats under construction and whats part of an intentionally shabby design aesthetic.  
    Word on the street is that this will be an "oyster bar".  Does anyone have any insight here?

It's located on Flatbush and Midwood.  

IMG_1526
  • Lobster Rolls and Whiskey Coming to Flatbush Avenue Gastropub
    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140129/prospect-lefferts-gardens/lobster-rolls-whiskey-coming-flatbush-avenue-gastropub

"We’re going to have a lobster roll on a pretzel bun, and some short rib sliders," Narvilas said. "We’re going to have 24 draft lines and high-end whiskeys and scotches with a focus on local New York breweries and distilleries."
  • Awesome Jeffrey, thanks for the info!
  • So so SOOOOO ready for this.
  • another quick write up about it from The Q at Parkside blog:

• Their Centi Anni restaurant on Franklin is fantastic, as a date spot or mingling or having a bite alone.  Any neighborhood would be lucky to get a joint like this. I think they're going to be so successful on this underserved corner. 
  • 24 draft lines.

...that's a lot. The owners obviously think they have a local customer base to support that much investment.

• One of the partners is also a partner at Tugboat Tea Co., across the street, so he should know his local customer base.
  • It's really quite close to the shuttle.  That makes it pretty accessible to Crown Heights/Bed Stuy.  People just need to know to make that little detour.  I'll definitely be checking it out :)
  • I live in The Dearborn co-op which is located at 345 Montgomery between Nostrand and Rogers.  Our closest subway stops are the 2/5 at President or Sterling.  I bring that all up to say practically all of us owners venture on foot to the Franklin Avenue spots REGULARLY (Cenatnni, Barboncino, Mayfield, Gladys, etc. etc.).  This spot in PLG will be a bit closer to us just in a different direction.  If done right (which I think it will be) many, many people in my building will be adding this to their repertoire.  
  • Also remember - Lincoln Park Tavern - the spot where everyone in this neighborhood goes to drink and eat is closing.  It was already announced a while back and the for rent sign has been up.  So that crowd right there can just make a jump over.   
  • Nice to see a new bar in the PLG area. I used to go to LPT a couple times/month when I moved to the area around 4 years ago but the last few times I've gone (it's been a while) it was awful. Bad bartenders, overpriced drinks and seedy people. Glad to see it go. Hopefully a new owner can open a decent bar in that space.
  • This place made it to Brooklyn Based's list of 10 Restaurant Openings to Look Forward to This Fall, along with Bluebird Food and Spirits at 504 Flatbush near Lefferts: http://brooklynbased.com/blog/2014/09/15/top-10-brooklyn-restaurant-openings-this-fall/
  • Lots of investment is coming to PLG, in response to lots of investment in PLG.
  • Maybe we can have a Brooklynian meetup at Midwood Flats after it opens. (Maybe invite the Q!)
  • We could.    But, unlike this woman, I would walk (not dance):

It would reflect the mantra I am now hearing:

"The areas served by the the 2, 5 and Q below Prospect Park are better than the areas East of Kingston on the 3 and 4.    Move there"

• whynot_31 said:

We could.    But, unlike this woman, I would walk (not dance):

It would reflect the mantra I am now hearing:

"The areas served by the the 2, 5 and Q below Prospect Park are better than the areas East of Kingston on the 3 and 4.    Move there

...except for a random weekend (like this past one) when the Q train terminated at Prospect Park.

Who's been saying this mantra anyway?

Funny thing is when I graduated from college 15 years ago, I bet none of my classmates would have even considered passing through, let alone live here! :)
  • I wouldn't have considered it 15 years ago either.

...but I would now.   

I am hearing the mantra be said by people who like the Franklin Avenue scene, but don't have the resources to pay for it.    In addition to having distinctive appearances, they tend to chain their bikes outside of the buildings they live in.

As I walk east on St. Johns, I rarely see bicycles chained up outside of buildings east of Kingston.

As I walk south on Bedford, I am seeing bikes on Hawthorne.

Are you seeing similar things?       

• I live on the 2/5 line at the President Street stop.  I completely agree with "The areas served by the the 2, 5 and Q below Prospect Park are better than the areas East of Kingston on the 3 and 4.    Move there".  I have lived Montgomery Street for 6 years and I think West Crown Heights both North and South and then along the 2/5 line through PLG on to Flatbush is more poised for growth and development then parts further east on the 3/4.  It is amazing to see the people who have moved in and what is in the works right now.  Now let's just hope the powers that be come to their senses regarding the zoning of Empire so it is more than storage facilities and fast food (though I do have a soft spot fro Popeye's - spicy please).   
  • lilern said:.  Now let's just hope the powers that be come to their senses regarding the zoning of Empire so it is more than storage facilities and fast food (though I do have a soft spot fro Popeye's - spicy please).   

It
    is more than storage facilities and fast food! There are people living in the two apartment buildings next to Western Beef! :) (People seem to forget about that.) 

There has been a spirited discussion in the comments section in response to the Q's posts on the rezoning issue:

• For the time being, the commercial action in PLG is going to be about Flatbush Avenue.

By the time Empire is actually rezoned, those fretting about being priced out may already have been displaced because:

- prices are already rising in anticipation of the rezone.
    - prices are increasing regardless of the rezone.
  • whynot_31 said:

For the time being, the commercial action in PLG is going to be about Flatbush Avenue.

By the time Empire is actually rezoned, those fretting about being priced out may already have been because:

- prices are already rising in anticipation of the rezone.
    - prices are increasing regardless of the rezone.

My neighbors are afraid of that scenario. 
  • The truth is that few people who have seen this play out before believe their fears are without merit; it is just that "we" are not going stop the process.

We both believe we can't stop it, AND aren't certain that stopping it would be worth the effort it would take.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/comment/553209#Comment_553209

BTW, this new place at on Flatbush near Midwood road seems like a good location for the Fall 2014 Brooklynian Gathering.

The 25 of us could be accused of destroying, saving and/or building a new neighborhood.

It will be great.

:)

• Boom!   Lic effective today.

Soft opening tomorrow (Thursday), and Grand Opening Friday.    Photos from owner:

1780930_10204797906171864_5242783748507508476_o
    10504991_10204797905811855_8670809995367659289_o
    10494450_10204797906051861_1514049848915604769_o
    10540709_10204797905091837_1361253469610336650_o
  • Maybe we can have a Brooklynian meetup at Midwood Flats after it opens. (Maybe invite the Q!)

Make it happen!     Pick a two or three weeks from now so we can advertise it lots and, by then the owners will have worked out the kinks in the service or the beer lines..
  • The taps were not working yet, but the place was packed.

• taps not working?  what are you all drinking?
  • Canned beer, cider, whiskey, wine. Occasional small plates being passed around.

Nice place, although I'll probably be there most often for weekend brunch; I'm not a big drinker.
  • As per the owner, the taps will work tomorrow.

The tap installation people were supposed to come today...

I think the owner didn't have a lot of notice from SLA when his lic would be effective.

The crowd doesn't seem to mind.

Bob, if you are still here, I am at a table by the right side of the bar.
  • whynot_31 said:

Maybe we can have a Brooklynian meetup at Midwood Flats after it opens. (Maybe invite the Q!)

Make it happen!     Pick a two or three weeks from now so we can advertise it lots and, by then the owners will have worked out the kinks in the service or the beer lines..

I actually stopped by this evening once I got off at Prospect Park just to scope the place out. I guess people can congregate in the back. 

I noticed that the chalkboard over the bar was blank. No names, no prices, nothing. Weird.

The gathering would probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, just so you know. Stay tuned. 
  • Yes, it seems like a suitable meeting place for the Fall 2014 Gathering.   

My bizarre background includes catering, which allows me to know that activating 24 draft lines is something that a mere bar owner is not capable of.   The individual lines run through a refrigerated larger tube, which keeps them cool for the entire distance.

When one runs a 24 lines to the basement, it is more complicated than buying a keg in college and splurging for the kegerator C02 kit.
  • Sorry I missed you w/n; I was only there from about 6:00–7:30. If there's a Brooklynian gathering at Midwood Flats I'll definitely go. I live just a block away on Midwood II.
  • whynot_31 said:

Yes, it seems like a suitable meeting place for the Fall 2014 Gathering.   

My bizarre background includes catering, which allows me to know that activating 24 draft lines is something that a mere bar owner is not capable of.   The individual lines run through a refrigerated larger tube, which keeps them cool for the entire distance.

When one runs a 24 lines to the basement, it is more complicated than buying a keg in college and splurging for the kegerator C02 kit.

Yeah, we only have 2 beers on tap in our apartment and it was a bigger process than expected ... and there is little distance for the tubing to go.  
  • whynot_31 said:

Yeah, this is why when we use commercial kegs we get more head than we want -- which is another reason to brew your own.
  • Midwood Flats is one of several bars and restaurants owned by the same LLC.

Centanni on Franklin Ave is among their properties.

Despite this, they don't have staff that can install this equipment.

The build out costs for Midwood Flats might be around $400k. They are not a mom and pop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook