Glory to G0d. ANOTHER BAR on 1st and Fifth. — Brooklynian

Glory to G0d. ANOTHER BAR on 1st and Fifth.

Wowzers, just what the neighborhood was lacking! Heaven forbid it should be something utilitarian like a dry cleaner or <gasp> an affordable housing center or something goofy like that. Yep, what was needed was yet another pretentious park slope bar for the yuppie set on those lazy summer nights...[/snark]

:roll:

Comments

• Subject: apertivo

right, this now makes three bars on my block...two on one corner, one on the other. thats gonna make for some loud summer nights!
    have to say though, i'm looking forward to what apertivo (the new place on 1st and 5th, same owners as sotto voce) is claiming its going to be: an italian bistro, open from 8 am til late in the evening. their menu looks great and reasonably priced. and i do enjoy a nice cappucino and croissant at an outside table on a warm morning. call me a yuppie, i don't care.
  • I was at Aprertivo this weekend...it was nice...and very reasonably priced. They didn't have their liquor license yet (you could bring your own); so they were giving away glasses of house red and white.
  • Subject: Re: Glory to G0d. ANOTHER BAR on 1st and Fifth.

NativeSloper wrote: Wowzers, just what the neighborhood was lacking! Heaven forbid it should be something utilitarian like a dry cleaner or <gasp> an affordable housing center or something goofy like that. Yep, what was needed was yet another pretentious park slope bar for the yuppie set on those lazy summer nights...[/snark]

Oh, how darling! I'm going to wheel Roderick and Ethan (the twins -- thanks, fertility drugs!) right over there in the double-wide Bugaboo Ultra Deluxe and Blackberry my broker for a few hours while I sip Cosmos. Hope I'll see you there!

Oh, and -- hello again, Restless Native! It is you, isn't it? The use of the very 80s-retro word "yuppie" was the giveaway.
  • Man, the title let me down!
    I was hoping for a real bar, you know the loud, drunk dancing, cheap pitchers sorta place. Jeesh, I'm otta here.
  • Subject: Re: Glory to G0d. ANOTHER BAR on 1st and Fifth.

Brooke Lynn Knight wrote: [quote=NativeSloper]Wowzers, just what the neighborhood was lacking! Heaven forbid it should be something utilitarian like a dry cleaner or <gasp> an affordable housing center or something goofy like that. Yep, what was needed was yet another pretentious park slope bar for the yuppie set on those lazy summer nights...[/snark]

Oh, how darling! I'm going to wheel Roderick and Ethan (the twins -- thanks, fertility drugs!) right over there in the double-wide Bugaboo Ultra Deluxe and Blackberry my broker for a few hours while I sip Cosmos. Hope I'll see you there!

Oh, and -- hello again, Restless Native! It is you, isn't it? The use of the very 80s-retro word "yuppie" was the giveaway.

Who's Restless Native? conspiracy theory much? No, I'm just a lifelong Sloper who's seen the impact gentrification and displacement has taken from 6th avenue and below and it kinda just makes me sick. Obviously I'm preaching to the choir here because this board seems to be filled with those who are part of it all. Oh well.... :roll:
  • I'm sure this is going to attract wrath but from talking to long time natives of Park Slope, Fifth Avenue used to be a hell-hole. I've only been living in the Slope for 10 years and while I may have missed the charms of burning cars and hookers, I know that when I moved in there was nothing on Fifth except dry cleaners and dingy bodegas with scowling employees. I'm not sure gentrification is such a bad thing when you can go out and not get held up (most of the time-heh) and eat and drink at some pretty cool spots (The Gate, al di la, Great Lakes, Stone Park, Bar Reiss, Chip Shop, Bogota, etc. etc.)

People have been whinging about New York and how it's losing its character since the 1800's. It's the nature of this city. Some changes are good, some are not. I wouldn't want a TGI Fridays to open on the corner of Ninth and Seventh (although it might be an improvement over Brooklyn Burger Bar) but I don't think something like that would ever happen. Even with all of the stroller moms and space-communicator brokers they would all think they were too cool to go to Applebees because, after all, that's why they moved here--to experience "urban safety."

I walked by Apertivo yesterday and liked how it looked. It reminded me of a European corner cafe and bar. Nothing on their menu was overpriced (if anything it was real cheap). I don't know what the food is actually like but I'd rather have something like Apertivo than another bank or realty office.
  • No one can win! People want to champion local businesses, but only if they're not going to attract "yuppies." Whatever. All I know is that I live right near that corner, and Apertivo makes me a heck of a lot happier than the terrible dry cleaner that was there. They lost my wedding dress for pete's sake. Good riddance to them. And welcome to a new restaurant that, from the looks of it, is on the cheap side. If not affordable housing, at least it's bringing some affordable dining :D
  • Well, all kidding aside, I have to agree gentrification is a major problem. All of a sudden, just in the last couple years, there's been an influx of millionaire Manhattanites bringing rampant overdevelopment and destroying the beloved character of Brooklyn as never before.

This NY Times article is a must-read if you want to truly understand the culture and politics behind the situation.
  • Thank God! The issue of gentrification is finally being discussed here! People have been forced to bite their tongues for too long.
  • I've lived in Park Slope since 1977 and am very happy to see what the so called gentrification has brought to the area.

I don't mourn for the good old days of burnt out buildings, empty storefronts, rampant drug dealing, car breakins, etc that was the picture of 5th and parts of 7th Ave for many years.

Park Slope was not built as a slum. It was built for upper, middle and working class families. The decline in the 70's to a crappy dangerous area should be seen an as aberration in Park Slopes history and not it's ultimate destiny.
  • I've been living in the Slope for over 30 years and while gentrification has its drawbacks, I remember how bad 5th Avenue was and I am not sorry to see the change.
  • How dare those clean, employed, law abiding, semi-intelligent people try to live in a clean, safe, easy-to-commute to area. Shame on them. :?
  • Frank Lloyd Wrong wrote: How dare those clean, employed, law abiding, semi-intelligent people try to live in a clean, safe, easy-to-commute to area. Shame on them. :?
    Uh, Frank... (and other commenters)... I'm guessing you didn't read the Times article I linked to? 8)

Irony is so hard to show on message boards. I think we need an emoticon that looks like this: :spam:, only instead of "SPAM" it should say on the placard, "IRONY."
  • you can all be happy or angry about gentrification, but the point of this post is aperitivo, an inappropiately named resto/bar w/o a liquor license--so nice of them to give you ONE glass of free cheap slop (not worth the price). The food is Ok, some less so, the service appalling, why bother?

BTW, the reason it's packed is cuz everyone is sitting in there for hours waiting for their food.
This discussion has been closed.