Meat in the Hood — Brooklynian

Meat in the Hood

Where does everyone buy their prime cuts in the PH?

he selection at the Key Foods on Washington makes me sad.

I was blessed with a bodega/small market right on my corner in my old hood that had great cuts, for an obscenely low price.

Comments

• If by prime cuts you mean laced with cleaning products, then i dare say you have misjudged KeyFoods. Not much of a carnivore so my completely unhelpful response is about all i can offer.
  • Naw, brother, I said Key Food's meat makes me sad.

As in, there's not much of it and whet there is leaves soemthing to be desired.

I need the inside dope on the local spot to feed my carnivorous urges.
  • Funny, this was the very first question I asked on Brooklynian (then Daily Heights).

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
  • Western Beef (Washington and Empire) has a big selection ...and the music being played is better.
  • head to atlantic and flatbush pathmark. The butcher is kind of an ass, but the product is good
  • Oh dayum! Thanks. Looks like the pickins are slim around here. Funny, the one thing I had in no short supply in my old hood (Bushwick) was a couple good butchers.

I'll take the selection in just about every other catergory here in PH though. You win some, you lose some points on the cholesterol test, I guess.

Thanks again.
  • go to Union Market on Union and 6th
  • GAP has some really good cuts of meat, a little pricey for me, but a great splurge every now and then.

I get most of my meats from Key Food on 5th or Fairway
  • What about that livestock place over on Classon, Pacific/Dean? I bet they're good (but I haven't been 'game' to try them).
  • doctorj wrote: What about that livestock place over on Classon, Pacific/Dean? I bet they're good (but I haven't been game to try them).
    I keep meaning to try that place, but haven't made my way over there yet.
  • stacey wrote: GAP has some really good cuts of meat, a little pricey for me, but a great splurge every now and then.

IMHO, the butcher at GAP can be overpriced for the quality that you get. The ground beef, however, is pretty good.
  • BKChickie wrote: [quote=stacey]GAP has some really good cuts of meat, a little pricey for me, but a great splurge every now and then.

IMHO, the butcher at GAP can be overpriced for the quality that you get. The ground beef, however, is pretty good.
    There are at least 3 meat vendors at GAP, not counting the turkey guys.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=doctorj]What about that livestock place over on Classon, Pacific/Dean? I bet they're good (but I haven't been game to try them).
    I keep meaning to try that place, but haven't made my way over there yet.

Fall is nearly upon us, which means it's meat season. I think they do goat. Mmmm, yummy goat. But my household couldn't handle a whole one, even with the help of the freezer. Anyone for goat shares?
  • 1/3 of my household is vegetarian (the other 2/3rds are the dog and me) ...I usually don't use the dog as a tie breaker unless the issue is really good.

No sure goat meets the standard
  • Me and and one of my ex´s not EC bot LR bought a whole pig from the guys on Gran, she dis a gringo cochinita Pibil!!
  • There's a butcher on Nostrand Ave. between Atlantic Ave. and Herkimer. A few doors down from David's Brisket House. I haven't tried them but it looks okay.
  • I like that place on Fulton over in Ft. Greene. I think it's called Provisions or Greene Grape. The product is good and it's not that far away....!
  • Carnivore wrote:
    There are at least 3 meat vendors at GAP, not counting the turkey guys.
    LOOOOVEEE the turkey guys.....now I wanna make turkey meatloaf! Yum. :bounce:
  • I used to supply a lot of meat to the hood, but I have a girlfriend now
  • i didn't realize cocktail weiners were still so popular.

;)
  • You should check out the meat vendor at JJ Byrne Park on Sundays in Park Slope. (5th b/w 3+4) I know it's not the Heights, but it's a nice walk...

Anyway, he deals with all New York State small farms, pork, beef, lamb etc...and it is all (even the sausage, ground meat, etc) at least 14 days dry aged. Obviously it's a bit more pricey than regular meat but it kicks ass. I bought some ground beef from him and made the best f'n burger I've ever tasted with it.

One drawback is that it is all frozen, but dry aged meats freeze a lot better than wet aged meats do, and I haven't had a problem thus far. They're working on becoming more local so they can have non frozen stuff and are close to opening a place in downtown Manhattan.
  • Generally, we get our meat from either FreshDirect or Los Paisanos over on Smith and Wyckoff. Either way, we stock up about once a month and stick most of it in the freezer, then defrost as needed daily.

Same thing with fish, except we buy from either FD, the folks at the GAP greenmarket (when I can bear the line), or Fish Tales (Court/Wyckoff).

I'll buy some things at Key Food, but NOT meat.
This discussion has been closed.