Small building on 3rd Avenue 3rd Street - Landmark?? — Brooklynian

Small building on 3rd Avenue 3rd Street - Landmark??

I'm puzzled about a small little red brick and masonry building on the corner of 3rd avenue and 3rd street, is it a landmark?
Does anyone know what it once contained or the prior owners?

Also there is what seems to be a converted factory building with a neon sign across the street called "Rise" or something like that...what do they do in there?

Comments

• I always heard that Al Capone went to school right there-I always assumed that is what the small red building was. The large building across the street from it though also looks like it was once a school-so, not sure.
  • I thought Al Capone went to that school near 4th ave and Butler, almost next to the Key Food...?
    LongTimeSloper wrote: I always heard that Al Capone went to school right there-I always assumed that is what the small red building was. The large building across the street from it though also looks like it was once a school-so, not sure.
  • Yes, it's landmarked. It used to be the offices a cement company.

Here's a link to the landmark announcement with further info:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/press/06_27_06.1.pdf
  • NativeSloper wrote: I thought Al Capone went to that school near 4th ave and Butler, almost next to the Key Food...?

[quote=LongTimeSloper]I always heard that Al Capone went to school right there-I always assumed that is what the small red building was. The large building across the street from it though also looks like it was once a school-so, not sure.
    4th Avenue and Butler? I always heard it was down on 3rd and 3rd where he went-hmm-guess I am wrong. Trying to picture a school at 4th and Butler.............................
  • Matrick wrote: Yes, it's landmarked. It used to be the offices a cement company.

Here's a link to the landmark announcement with further info:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/press/06_27_06.1.pdf
    thanks for that info~! I have been wondering for years about that red building! now, is the large building right across the street from it an old school or an old factory?
  • I think the owner of the cement company lived at the other end of Third St. in the building that is now the Prospect Park HQ. That is why Third St is so wide. The man who owned the cement company laid out the grid of Park Slope. He gave himself a peaty commute.
  • Subject: Thanks!

You guys are the best. I've learned so much about Park Slope lore!
    ringrunner wrote: I think the owner of the cement company lived at the other end of Third St. in the building that is now the Prospect Park HQ. That is why Third St is so wide. The man who owned the cement company laid out the grid of Park Slope. He gave himself a peaty commute.
  • ^^ You still haven't told me if the large building across the street from the old red one used to be a school or a factory.

Get on the ball ringrunner!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.