Do any of you guys steal from your parents? — Brooklynian

Do any of you guys steal from your parents?

I mean nick nacks and other goods :p. cute little items etc.. not really stealing. you know they know you take items etc.. i sometimes take little decrative items lol. and food and my parents buy extra when either me or bro comes home.

Comments

  • Nah, actually my Dad would always borrow my tools and consistently "forget" to return them. So I did take the whole lot back one day when they were away without mentioning it.

    My brother-in-law borrows DVDs and takes months to return them. Guy has plenty of money and presumably an internet connection for Netflix, as well as a Blockbuster and Best Buy right down the street. But NO. NO. He's gotta borrow my stuff and then take 4 months to watch it. And I can't make too much trouble over this if I want to keep things mellow at home. I mean W T F ?
  • There was a big article about just this sort of thing in the NYT Sunday Styles section sometime in the past few months...20/30-something's swiping furniture, collectibles and even food from their parents...
  • Kleptomania is no joke, you should take something for that.
  • sterling2000 wrote: There was a big article about just this sort of thing in the NYT Sunday Styles section sometime in the past few months...20/30-something's swiping furniture, collectibles and even food from their parents...
    yeah i remember that article :p.
  • findcate wrote: Kleptomania is no joke, you should take something for that.
    lighten up. not really stealing lol. i never stole. my parents know i take stuff. hell sometimes they ask me if i want some of the stuff lying around. or want the extra food etc...
  • When I was in my twenties my mother gave me some furniture and decorative shelves. Then she decided she wanted it all back. Then she gave my favorite bookcase to one of my brothers, and my favorite table to another brother.

    :cry:
  • laura wrote: When I was in my twenties my mother gave me some furniture and decorative shelves. Then she decided she wanted it all back. Then she gave my favorite bookcase to one of my brothers, and my favorite table to another brother.

    :cry:
    well that's just plain not especially nice.
  • armchair, i actually was making a joke, did you get it? :) it's interesting...my husband definitely has the attitude that he should take care of his parents and buy them things, take them on vacations etc, not vice versa. has made me change my behavior as well.

    i actually used to do this and stopped. i guess it started with my sister, i would take her clothes when we were teenagers and it drove her crazy. and I would take things from my mom, pots & pans, dishes, whatever. but looking back, how would i feel lif someone came into my house & took my stuff? even little knick knacks. i'd be pretty annoyed. maybe you're parents understand, my mom always did, but what if you do take something they care about? doesn't seem like knick knacks or pots & pans are worth it. anyway, i also make more money now so I just buy my own dishes...plus, it's their stuff. if they wanted you to have something, they'd give it to you.
  • findcate wrote: armchair, i actually was making a joke, did you get it? :) it's interesting...my husband definitely has the attitude that he should take care of his parents and buy them things, take them on vacations etc, not vice versa. has made me change my behavior as well.

    i actually used to do this and stopped. i guess it started with my sister, i would take her clothes when we were teenagers and it drove her crazy. and I would take things from my mom, pots & pans, dishes, whatever. but looking back, how would i feel lif someone came into my house & took my stuff? even little knick knacks. i'd be pretty annoyed. maybe you're parents understand, my mom always did, but what if you do take something they care about? doesn't seem like knick knacks or pots & pans are worth it. anyway, i also make more money now so I just buy my own dishes...plus, it's their stuff. if they wanted you to have something, they'd give it to you.
    oh okay :). actually i believe in taking care of my parents when they retire. if they want to come live with me its fine etc... I believe in old asian family values like that. your hubby sounds like a fine guy.
  • thanks :) he's a keeper. i guess i'm kind of admonishing myself. anyway, every family's different. maybe nicking some knick knacks is just one way of connecting with home. it's an interesting topic...
  • I call it the "shopping at home" I don't take stuff in use, though, just furniture thats not being used. My brother, on the other hand, regularly stocks up on staples like TP at my mom's house
  • i love that term shopping at home!!! haha
This discussion has been closed.