How Safe is Truly Safe - Landlord's Responsibility 2 Tenants — Brooklynian

How Safe is Truly Safe - Landlord's Responsibility 2 Tenants

Subject: How Safe is Truly Safe - Landlord's Responsibility 2 Tenants

How safe is a truly safe building? What is the landlord's responsibility to secure the building from trespassers?

These and many more questions have run through my mind after a woman was dragged into our unlocked courtyard and violently assaulted, attempted rape, in the wee hours of Sat. morning.

The tenants have been complaining for over a year about the unlocked court yard. The landlords only response was, "Their are cameras in the courtyard. If you feel unsafe all 911" and/or "You are free to break your lease and move."

So he seems not to be pro-active about deterring possible crimes that could and now unfortunately have occurred in his buildings courtyard. He will simply view the tapes after the fact

My questions are:

What is a landlord's legal responsibility concerning the safety of the people who inhabit their buildings?
Do your landlord's show more concern for their tenants safety?

Side note, I did not call 311 so I can not get the complaint # or police report.

Does anyone know where the public record for this incident would be?

It happened Saturday Oct 3, about 3:00 AM.

Comments

• Do you have a fire escape that exits into that courtyard? If you do then the law requires that there be a path to the street that is unobstructed.

Unfortunately the law is rather specific about what a LL is required to do regarding safety. Link below.
    http://www.housingnyc.com/html/resources/attygenguide.html#16

I think your only hope is to document over time a chronic problem with the courtyard and present it to the NYPD or better yet the LL's insurance company. That would definitely hit where it hurts.
  • We had this problem recently when a tenant in my building was raped in her apartment. Really, their responsibility is quite low. You can check out the website we designed when this went down - we have a very investigative tenant who looked up all sorts of stuff, including people who took landlords to court over safety:

www.284eastern.com
  • I was unable to find a link, but NYCHA has made lots of effort to repair faulty intercoms and door locks and lighting. The push which started @3 years ago was a reaction to assaults and rapes in their bldgs. The courts found the housing authority partially responsible for the unsafe conditions that led up to these attacks. People getting buzzed into bldgs is a major problem leading to crime within apartment bldgs. Private landlords should be made aware of safety issues that you see, an email is a record,call and email follow up for anything that concerns you. Don't let strangers in your bldg.
  • Another reason old brownstones are the shizzle....
  • catwalkertexasranger wrote: People getting buzzed into bldgs is a major problem leading to crime within apartment bldgs. Private landlords should be made aware of safety issues that you see, an email is a record,call and email follow up for anything that concerns you. Don't let strangers in your bldg.
    Well, and that's the thing- when you live in a large building, people buzz people in all the time. But the larger problem is when someone follows directly behind you when you go in. I live in a building with 72 units. I have lived here for 11 years and while I know many people and even more faces, I don't know everyone. This also includes legitimate visitors and relatives. It's a sticky situation when you're walking into the lobby and the person behind you steps up and walks in with you. We've tried to do something about this including installing a handle in the inside of the door, so that if one is followed by an attacker, we can grab the handle and pull it closed. But, this is far from full proof and it doesn't account for that person who's NOT an attacker, but who you do not know.
  • The guy who punched,raped and robbed people on EParkway was camping in the laundry room for a couple of days before the incident. People following you in is always a problem. Just a general reminder that when somebody says "Fedx" or "pizza" into your intercom you may be annoyed but don't unlock the door.
  • Yes you need to keep after this landlord. You may want to try and organize the tenants in your building, never an easy thing to do and also somewhat problematical given the possible unintended consequences to the people who do organize. However, check the website of the Metropolitan Council on Housing. Here's where you can find out about your rights, how to organize etc.

http://www.metcouncil.net/helprights.htm

But remember also you are the person ultimately responsible for your own safety. Always be circumspect, alert and street smart. You are living in NYC.
  • Yes you need to keep after this landlord. You may want to try and organize the tenants in your building, never an easy thing to do and also somewhat problematical given the possible unintended consequences to the people who do organize. However, check the website of the Metropolitan Council on Housing. Here's where you can find out about your rights, how to organize etc.

http://www.metcouncil.net/helprights.htm

But remember also you are the person ultimately responsible for your own safety. Always be circumspect, alert and street smart. You are living in NYC.
  • What's unfortunate is that sometimes it's your neighbor or one of their friends/relatives/associates who is the problem, which makes organizing even more of a challenge.
This discussion has been closed.