This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Sewing machine assistance — Brooklynian

Sewing machine assistance

edited November -1 in The Lounge / Random Stuff
My wife and I picked up a vintage sewing machine yesterday and we could use a little refresher on usage. I think that we're missing something to hold in the bobbin, but I don't know what's it called and consequently I don't know how to get my hands on one... We may or may not be missing other parts, or we may have them among the many parts that were in the drawers. So, this is where you come in - help us figure out what else we need to get runnin' and show us some basics of operation. Payment for services will consist of drinks at the next DH happy hour or home-cooked brunch for you and a guest.

Sewing machine is a 1953 Singer 15-91.

Comments

• do you mean something to hold the bobbin while you're winding it, or while you're actually sewing?

(or is this a wind-in-place machine? i think my friend has this one, or one very like it, so i may be able to ask her.)
  • While sewing. The bobbin winds on a little assembly by the handwheel - that's in working order..
  • well, i don't know that machine, but i do have a singer of a similar vintage. the bobbin on our machine fits into a well under the foot, and then a plate slides over it. only gravity holds it in place, although there is a kind of band of metal set around the well that has guides for the tread to come through. there's nothing really holding the bobbin, though.

does that make sense?

the gf is pretty good with sewing machines, PM me if you want to try to have her look at it.
  • I think the drill is to actually take the machine to the sewing shop. They are used to troubleshooting.

That is, if you can't get Sweet Tea's g'friend to help you out.
  • pitu lillet wrote: I think the drill is to actually take the machine to the sewing shop. They are used to troubleshooting.

I'm going to have to make some arrangements to have someone over, 'cause it's not going anywhere. It's built in to the desk - I'd rather it be unusable than move it - damn thing's heavy! If Dorothy woulda had one, the house never would have lifted off and landed in Oz... :wink:
  • WhyFi wrote: [quote=pitu lillet]I think the drill is to actually take the machine to the sewing shop. They are used to troubleshooting.

I'm going to have to make some arrangements to have someone over, 'cause it's not going anywhere. It's built in to the desk - I'd rather it be unusable than move it - damn thing's heavy! If Dorothy woulda had one, the house never would have lifted off and landed in Oz... :wink:

my mom had one like that, complete in cabinet that it hung upside-down in, but the machine itself came right out for servicing, without my dad having to get involved. Not that I know how . . .