What internet provider do you use? — Brooklynian

What internet provider do you use?

Hi,

Just wondering what internet provider do Brooklynites use? Also how much do you pay?

I use Time Warner and paid $30/month for the first year but now $45. I am looking to switch. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Green in Greenpoint

Comments

• We've been using Verizon for about 10 years. I believe we're paying $30-$40 a month. The service in that time has been fast and extremely dependable. Three or four short outages in 10 years.
  • If you can get away from Time Warner, do it. They're terrible and I can't wait to get rid of them. For cable (with HBO and DVR) and horrible, patchy, slow internet we are now getting jabbed for around $140 a month. Fucking criminals.
  • We're paying about $90 a month for DirecTV. We don't subscribe to any premium channels like HBO. But our deal did include a PVR. We are investigating ways to drop satellite and still watch the shows we want. It's more difficult and involves hooking a computer to your TV and using services like Clicker or Hulu, but it can be done. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently I can get the local HD off-the-air signals if I reposition my satellite dish.
  • i have earthlink cable internet through tw, i pay $40 a month (no promo, that's the regular fee). i've never had an outage. sometimes things are slow, but i think that is more about my five-year-old poorly maintained laptop than about the service. the only problem i've had is with transferring service from one address to another, because you have to deal with both earthlink and the cable company, and it often becomes a hopeless clusterfuck. other than that, though, it's smooth enough sailing.
This discussion has been closed.