LOUD Jesus People at Church and Flatbush Ave — Brooklynian

LOUD Jesus People at Church and Flatbush Ave

Does anyone live near the intersection of Church and Flatbush and have to endure the religious folks who park those huge flatbeds filled with 3 to 6 foot high speakers to be used for preaching at all hours of the day and into the night, particularly on the weekends?

Do you know if there are any residential noise ordinances that make this illegal? The volume is really unbelievable.

I and the neighbors are unable to watch tv, listen to music, or even hold a conversation on the phone while this is going on because it is so loud.

I can endure it for an hour or two while the religious folks fulfill their need to impose their religion on the world around them, but once it hits the 3 hour mark, and extends into the double-digits of hours, it is really unbearable.

I've spoken to the police who have said they are pretty sure it's not legal (why they don't know definitively is beyond me), but they also feel their hands are tied because it is a "delicate issue" since it involves the church. I've never heard of such a thing. It's either legal, or not, I thought. Regardless, I'm certain if it were any other group or religion doing the same, it would be shut down in an instant.

Is there anything anyone can suggest for how to go about having noise violations enforced?

Or do people around here really enjoy this? If I find the feedback is that people really enjoy it, I'm not interested in pushing the issue, because maybe it's a cultural thing and I'll just have to roll with it, but maybe I'm not alone in wishing there was something that could be done bring a more civilized form of proselytizing and freedom of speech without it assaulting everyone and everything. The whole thing is particularly awful when it's the bolder religious hate group that starts preaching about wiping out and killing all Non-Black races. I can't imagine this is something people actually find pleasant to endure.

Orbit

Comments

• Amen!, halleluja, sweet little baby Jesus! all praise to Jesus. I feel for you. I used to live on Flatbush and got caught behind the rightious reverend who had music on the flatbed, and drove 3 mph. It was ammusing only in passing but being subject to continious hours of it...... I would be looking for an assault rifle.
    i dont know what to say regarding your problem. Have you identified what group or groups are doing it? Get in contact with your council person and try to get some help thru them? They might have some connection s. go to community board meeting and ask for help.
    I KNOW its not much but give it a try. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • The Christian flatbeds with loud speakers should be the least of your worries living at church/flatbush. They have been a part of that section of flatbush for over a decade. When I was living there I was more concerned with muggings, shootings, car accidents at that intersection, massive roach infestations, and constant fire department activity all hours of the day between church and caton ave. The police in that area are also most likely stretched a bit thin dealing with more pressing issues. Does the Hatian woman still sing and pray for a few hours every single night in front of the bank on church ave? My upstairs neighbor used to throw pennies at her because she used to sing in front of our building... that moved her down the block a bit. Have you tried throwing pennies at the flatbeds?
  • tsarina wrote: Get in contact with your council person and try to get some help thru them? They might have some connection s. go to community board meeting and ask for help.
    I think you are right. I think this might be the only way to make a change. Thanks for your empathy!
  • OrbitBoy wrote: [quote=tsarina]Get in contact with your council person and try to get some help thru them? They might have some connection s. go to community board meeting and ask for help.
    I think you are right. I think this might be the only way to make a change. Thanks for your empathy!

it might not hurt to tell them you are whatever religion the church is, even if you are not.

If they think you need saving, they might think you need the noise.
    ...or are against them on non-decibel grounds.
  • rezist wrote: The Christian flatbeds with loud speakers should be the least of your worries living at church/flatbush. They have been a part of that section of flatbush for over a decade. When I was living there I was more concerned with muggings, shootings, car accidents at that intersection, massive roach infestations, and constant fire department activity all hours of the day between church and caton ave. The police in that area are also most likely stretched a bit thin dealing with more pressing issues. Does the Hatian woman still sing and pray for a few hours every single night in front of the bank on church ave? My upstairs neighbor used to throw pennies at her because she used to sing in front of our building... that moved her down the block a bit. Have you tried throwing pennies at the flatbeds?
    The crime in this area seems to have gone down in the past two years of my being a resident, though the crime is still VERY close by. I try not to go to the Nostrand/Church area because there have been very few walks in that direction without my being threatened to be killed, but my intersection seems to have grown friendlier and safer exponentially! That's so great to see.

I did ask the local police about the preaching, and while they aren't so stretched that they couldn't do something (they are standing around on the corner in groups), they do seem to cower at the prospect of confronting these zealots.

I think your penny-throwing idea might be the only solution, lol.

Orbit
  • whynot_31 wrote: it might not hurt to tell them you are whatever religion the church is, even if you are not.

If they think you need saving, they might think you need the noise.
    ...or are against them on non-decibel grounds.
    I could just avoid them if I were just walking past them on the street, but the violent assault of the barking through human-sized speakers travels several blocks and permeates our living rooms. So whether I'm of their religion, or not, it makes no difference to them.

And if they see me, it wouldn't help, since I'm not Black. Most of the preaching is Racist, victimized, and hate-filled toward anyone not Black, and often it's extremely insulting and hostile toward young women, too.

I can't imagine any other racial group being allowed to stand on a corner and preach that another race should be wiped out, but apparently that kind of mentality is celebrated and supported around here?

Orbit
  • lovely.

....they sound like the Lost Tribe of Israel (or whatever those crazies are called) who used to be at Times Sq and 125th St. They exist to annoy people. (kinda like most hate groups...)

Don't worry, if they are anything like the group I'm thinking of, they annoy your black neighbors too.

...as well as the police, whom they likely insult when they park their cars nearby to observe.
  • whynot_31 wrote: lovely.

....they sound like the Lost Tribe of Israel (or whatever those crazies are called) who used to be at Times Sq and 125th St. They exist to annoy people. (kinda like most hate groups...)

Don't worry, if they are anything like the group I'm thinking of, they annoy your black neighbors too.

...as well as the police, whom they likely insult when they park their cars nearby to observe.
    I wish it was just that group. They come by regularly, as well, but this vegas flatbed speaker blasting preacher is just plain ol' Christian. Christians are often as full of hate as any other group, but we tend to be taught to tolerate it and even celebrate it.

ALL bigotry and zealousness is ugly, but when it goes extreme, it becomes potentially dangerous.

Orbit
  • Have you tried calling 311 or the precinct? What was their response?

Talking to cops on the street is different than calling the precinct. This sounds like a real nuisance. I hear those dudes driving by and it's really loud! I am not much of a complainer/have never made a noise complaint even once, but if the jesus truck parked outside my apartment for more than 10 minutes...I would be calling 311 and the precinct repeatedly.
  • bolletje wrote: Have you tried calling 311 or the precinct? What was their response?

Talking to cops on the street is different than calling the precinct. This sounds like a real nuisance. I hear those dudes driving by and it's really loud! I am not much of a complainer/have never made a noise complaint even once, but if the jesus truck parked outside my apartment for more than 10 minutes...I would be calling 311 and the precinct repeatedly.
    Yes, I've worked with both, and both seem to be intimidated by the Jesus people. The next step is in working closely with "Community Affairs" through the local precinct, so that's what I'm doing... I'll let you know how it goes, and if it makes a difference. Just in case they come terrorizing your neighborhood, too! lol.

Orbit
  • Quit whining and start shooting. Be a goddamn hero for once. :roll:
  • daveb wrote: Quit whining and start shooting. Be a goddamn hero for once. :roll:
    LOL, that is about the funniest (and creepiest) response I've read! Oh god, I hope no one would ever really do that, of course!

-orbit
This discussion has been closed.