Church Avenue-McDonald > Ocean Parkway — Brooklynian

Church Avenue-McDonald > Ocean Parkway

The commercial strip on Church Avenue between McDonald & Ocean Parkway is in need of being revitilized. Why isn't the community board or district doing anything to add new stores to this poorly served neighborhood?

Where is Starbucks, Connecticut Muffin, a Gourment market, decent restaurants, bars. Do we really need all those 99 cents stores and 8 nail salons? 6 chinese restaurants??? Not one coffee shop or restaurant is to be found on the section of depressing shops.

Comments

• it should be up to the store owners :p and clients. not enough density for most of the nicer things for the area right now. right now just cheap stores etc...
  • Subject: Re: Church Avenue-McDonald > Ocean Parkway

John TJ wrote: The commercial strip on Church Avenue between McDonald & Ocean Parkway is in need of being revitilized. Why isn't the community board or district doing anything to add new stores to this poorly served neighborhood?

Where is Starbucks, Connecticut Muffin, a Gourment market, decent restaurants, bars. Do we really need all those 99 cents stores and 8 nail salons? 6 chinese restaurants??? Not one coffee shop or restaurant is to be found on the section of depressing shops.
    Why? Cause it doesn't tailor to your yuppified needs? No, you don't need a ton of 99 cent stores and nail salons but do we really need more overpriced coffee and stale muffins? Why don't you go support a REAL local merchant instead.

It's a shock to be awoken from the bubble isn't it? Welcome to Brooklyn. You see sport, not everyone has tons of money to throw around here. I know you fools disrespect the rest of us thinking Brooklyn is pretty much Greenpoint to "East Willamsburg" but no REAL BROOKLYN IS MUCH LARGER THEN YOUR CLOSED MINDED bubble. Thanks for wanting to no doubt raise everyone's rent that lives in that vicinity. Did it ever occur to any of you transplants that there are people that live in this area that have been there long before you even knew what Brooklyn was and don't want a $5 latte?

John TJ wrote:
    where is Starbucks, Connecticut Muffin, a Gourment market, decent restaurants, bars. .

they are all in the magical, mythical world of park slope, where all the princes and princess congregate and live 5 to an apartment so they can have the privilege of sitting at a starbucks or connecticut muffin table with their lap tops.

i hate to break it to you , but the reason you live where you do is, because you can't afford the slope or manhattan, so if you have a desperate need to fill your pretentious dreams of an overpriced cup of coffee and the opportunity to tie up a table with your laptop for two hours , i recommend you pack your lap top to your bike and follow the bright green bike path to yuppie heaven ,AKA, the slope.

or just find 4 other people and move into the slope and live happily ever after,

Hamilton wrote: [quote=John TJ]
    where is Starbucks, Connecticut Muffin, a Gourment market, decent restaurants, bars. .

they are all in the magical, mythical world of park slope, where all the princes and princess congregate and live 5 to an apartment so they can have the privilege of sitting at a starbucks or connecticut muffin table with their lap tops.

i hate to break it to you , but the you reason you live where you do is, because you can't afford the slope or manhattan, so if you have a desperate need to fill your pretentious dreams of an overpriced cup of coffee and the opportunity to tie up a table with your laptop for two hours , i recommend you pack your lap top to your bike and follow the bright green bike path to yuppie heaven ,AKA, the slope.

or just find 4 other people and move into the slope and live happily ever after,

:salut: I salute you sir. Awesome post.
  • Subject: CHURCH Avenue Misery

So, smarty pants...where you do go for coffee or muffins-bagels when you want to sit down in a nice establishment and relax in the area for a bit and or dine in a nice restaurant on occasion or shop in clean organic produce market or decent supermarket without people making purchases with food stamps?
    No, park slope is NOT the answer!
    Church Street is an embarrasment and is poorly served.
    You mean to tell me...you like shopping on Church Avenue? :roll: :roll:
  • Why do you live in a neighborhood you are so unsatisfied with ?
  • Subject: Re: CHURCH Avenue Misery

John TJ wrote: So, smarty pants...where you do go for coffee or muffins-bagels when you want to sit down in a nice establishment and relax in the area for a bit and or dine in a nice restaurant on occasion or shop in clean organic produce market or decent supermarket without people making purchases with food stamps?
    No, park slope is NOT the answer!
    Church Street is an embarrasment and is poorly served.
    You mean to tell me...you like shopping on Church Avenue? :roll: :roll:

Mr. John TJ
    i don't drink coffee or eat bagels -muffins and why would i shop on church avenue when i live in Mumbai,India.

if i may ask ,what are food stamps, do you use them to mail food to your family?
  • I do not dislike the area...I just find that, I do not understand why Church Avenue is like the way it is???
    Neighborhoods have coffee shops, nice restaurants and shops and I am not saying we need all upscale establishments but something is better than nothing.
    Right?
    Do you all like the shops and what Church Avenue has to offer?
    I attended a community board meeting and it was awful with everyone unresponsive to changing an area that is in dire need of revitilizing.
    I have neighbors in my coop building and they all respond..well that's the way it is??? WHAT?

I just don't get the responses or support from anyone in this hood.
    Are you all living in a time warp and afraid of change? :roll:
  • ^ I live up near the park (WT / south slope) border, and find what I need on PPW or 7th avenue. When I chose my place, I considered the nearby ammenities, and passed on Kensington even though it was much cheaper.

I don't understand moving into an area, then getting pissed because it fails to reinvent itself into what you want it to be. You should have known what you were getting yourself into.
  • Usually, "the community board" and local governments don't issue some kind of mandate that new stores must be opened...that would be a violation of free enterprise for the businesses which are already established in that location. An entrepreneur would have to decide for themselves "this business would do great here. I think I'll make the investment" Perhaps, if you feel so strongly, this is something you might want to look into doing yourself.

What are you trying to accomplish here? No matter how many people you might get to agree that "somebody should do something", this is a really passive approach which will accomplish nothing but insult your neighbors and local businesses.
  • An area is commercially underserved if the income of its residents does not match what's available locally.

It's a pretty easy process: A business looks up the mean income for an area, then decides whether to open:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/lucds/cdstart.shtml

....you get to decide whether Church Avenue has fewer businesses than areas with the lower income. Then decide whether to move, or -um- open a business.

Community Boards rarely get the time and energy to attract new firms. ....firms decide where to locate largely on their own.

ah, capitalism.
  • Subject: Church Ave.

John TJ: at the risk of being labelled xenophobic, the reality is that a massive influx of immigrants happened to Church Ave. And not just from McDonald over to Ocean Pkwy - from Dahill Road and further.

When I moved to this neighborhood - many, many moons ago - there was lots of commerce throughout the whole area. I lived above Ft. Hamiltion Pkwy and we had butcher shops and deli's galore! On Church Ave, there was a great mix of stores and etc. We even had a movie theater! There was an Italian restaurant, a couple of good Jewish deli's, a German deli down on Beverly Rd and E.2nd - it was, if not GREAT - it was nice. It was a NEIGHBORHOOD. That's gone because the personality of the neighborhood is gone. Like I said - we've got a massive influx of immigrants living in and around here now and things are vastly different. All the people are vastly different! My biggest complaint is that it's very, very dirty where that was never the case before. When I was younger, shopkeepers as well as home owners took pride in the presentation of the store & their homes, and the streets in front of them. Now, the sidewalks pretty much smell - and not in a good way. Also - how 'bout it folks? - you come to this country - you come to New York - SHOVEL SOME SNOW! It's not going to kill you to shovel the entire sidewalk and not one tiny strip getting dripped on from the awning.

I don't need a Starbucks or a CT Muffin (bleh, by the way - on both counts) - but a bakery and yes - a decent bagel store - would be welcome back with open arms!
This discussion has been closed.