Question about Lorimer J/M/Z stop — Brooklynian

Question about Lorimer J/M/Z stop

Hi I am currently in the process of signing a lease and moving into the Williamsburg area with my girlfriend. The location of our apartment will give us easy access to both the L and J/M/Z stations at Lorimer.

I will mostly be riding the L to get to work but the M is most convenient for her to get to work in the Herrald Square area.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine and she said to stay off the J/M line that it is dangerous. I want to know how accurate that is. We rode this line to check out the apartment a few times and I never felt like I was in danger. Just wanted to get the opinion of a few other people.

Most of all I can't wait to eliminate my 1 1/2 hour commute each way to work from LI!

Comments

• woops didn't mean to put this on the front page, meant to put it in the forums.....

sorry

• There is nothing more 'dangerous' about that jmz line than any other line. Sounds like your friend may simply be afraid of the ratio of 'brown' people to white people?! (Everyone has to get to and from work. It's not like the ridership is 90% gang members!)

And 2, if it's the same walking distance, why wouldn't your gf just take the L? Very easy to get to Herald Sq. L to 14th union sq then a quick hop to 34th st on the N/Q/whatever it is lately. L is packed but you'll always get on from Lorimer.

• Well it will be a somewhat shorter walk to the JMZ (4 blocks) than to the L (7 blocks) and she will not have to transfer at all if she gets on the M since it goes right to Herald Square.

I personally don't think it will be an issue but my friend is a 'brown' person and she said stay away and I just wanted to see if she was over-reacting or not.

• ahh, good to know about your friend! didn't mean to be callous, just that it did seem overly cautious. (caveat: i do not ride the jmz consistently so perhaps there are more characters around than I think!)

• I say over-reacting. I rode J/M/Z from Marcy (2 stops next to Lorimer) for 3 years. Usual cautions apply, like not getting drunk out of your mind and riding the train...

• Seems odd to call an entire subway line dangerous. Most of the neighborhoods on the JMZ have similar issues to most other neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the city. Be smart. Be aware. Get to know your neighbors. Don't come home fall down drunk at 4 am.

I live near it and have enjoyed it for years. The new weekday M service to Manhattan has been amazing.

This discussion has been closed.