Ocean and Foster Ave — Brooklynian

Ocean and Foster Ave

I am thinking of buying an apt on Ocean Ave and Foster. Is it safe to walk home from the BQ at 10:30 - 11 o'clock at night? I know that anything can happen anywhere. I am a 25 year old girl. I live in Carroll Gardens right now and I feel very safe at night getting off the subway. I am not expecting Carroll Gardens I just want to know that I won't be scared. I have gone to the neighborhood at night and it feels ok but I wouldn't say that I was sure either way. I just want to see what people in the area have to say. Thank you for an info you can give me.

Comments

• Sorry I meant to title this Ocean and Foster Ave. Thanks for your help!

(MOD NOTE: Edited for you :D )

• I lived over there for years and have a few friends that live over there. You have a pretty diverse mix of people and backgrounds there which make it a pretty interesting place to live. I personally think it's pretty safe for the most part but there are blocks that are worse than others. The corner at Foster and Ocean is usually ok but there are some blocks nearby that are kind of sketchy.

I live in Carroll Gardens now too and it is going to feel a lot different there. It can be kind of quiet at night but for the most part it's pretty safe. I would suggest checking it out a couple of times at night with friends before committing to it just to make sure you seem comfortable. I do know that the train out there is usually pretty well populated even late into the night.

• Thank you so much. Do you find the walk from the subway sketchy? Down Foster or Newkirk? I do have a car so I would not be walking in the area late at night(I would probably drive to Cortelyou Rd,Park Slope, Carroll Gardens for dinner/drinks) unless I was coming from the subway from the city.

• Foster is the better of the two. Back when I lived there (which was quite a while ago 10-12 yrs) we called Newkirk "New-crack" avenue because of the drug dealers that were hanging out there. I do think that it is better now from the friends that live near there.

What a lot of people have a problem getting used to there is that it is very quiet at night and there are not a lot of people around in the streets. It does not mean that it is dangerous but it does take a little getting used to.

This discussion has been closed.