Westboro Baptist Church Coming to Kensington — Brooklynian

Westboro Baptist Church Coming to Kensington

The Westboro Baptist Church is going to picket two Jewish schools and a synagogue next Monday.

The Westboro Baptist Church will be returning to Brooklyn--this time to our neighborhood--next Monday, October 11th, to picket two Jewish schools and a synagogue. Westboro protests against Jews, Catholics, and other Protestant churches, at gay events, and at military funerals and gay people's funerals. "They plan to assemble on sidewalks and sing anti-Jewish songs and display signs with slogans such as 'God Hates Jews' and 'America is Doomed'." Read the article in The Yeshiva World News. http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?p=71596

Comments

• These people thrive on media attention. I want to show support for the people they pick on, but sometimes I wonder if that's exactly what they want.

Ugh.
  • Chutleta, you are exactly right, they thrive on publicity. It is best to ignore them and not give them any publicity. New York news media pretty much ignores them every time they come here. Show support for their victims by writing a letter of support or making a donation. WBC will have their members video recording the event so the fewer people that show the better.
  • not that im a fan of the Jewish religion, or any organized religion in that matter,Im not a fan of homosexuality either or some of the wars being waged at this time.. but id gladly contribute to any defense fund of anyone arrested and charged for beating these imbicles within an inch of their lousy lives.
  • Ditto! This controversy (like the older one involving Neo-Nazis marching in Skokie) has taught me that I am not the First Amendment absolutist I always thought I should be.

This is intentional infliction of emotional distress (a normally actionable tort) elevated to the Nth degree.

I consider it comparable to yelling, "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater for kicks. And that is the classic exception to the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech.

Perhaps the answer is for someone, preferably a family member of the deceased at a funeral, to blow away several of the Westboro Baptist demonstrators, and then to defend themselves on the grounds of temporary insanity, caused by the extreme insult of the Westboro Baptists to their feelings about the deceased and the occasion. How many juries would convict?

Thus no court is required to hold that the First Amendment was inapplicable, and yet the demonstrators have a very strong disincentive to repeat their offensive behavior.

In addition, such an action would create a basis for a better comparison of the demonstration to yelling, "Fire" in the future, as clearly each can result in a threat to the lives of those involved.
  • chuleta wrote: These people thrive on media attention. I want to show support for the people they pick on, but sometimes I wonder if that's exactly what they want.

Ugh.
    Email the people they are about to pick on this, then stay home.
  • booklaw wrote: Ditto! This controversy (like the older one involving Neo-Nazis marching in Skokie) has taught me that I am not the First Amendment absolutist I always thought I should be.

This is intentional infliction of emotional distress (a normally actionable tort) elevated to the Nth degree.

I consider it comparable to yelling, "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater for kicks. And that is the classic exception to the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech.

Perhaps the answer is for someone, preferably a family member of the deceased at a funeral, to blow away several of the Westboro Baptist demonstrators, and then to defend themselves on the grounds of temporary insanity, caused by the extreme insult of the Westboro Baptists to their feelings about the deceased and the occasion. How many juries would convict?

Thus no court is required to hold that the First Amendment was inapplicable, and yet the demonstrators have a very strong disincentive to repeat their offensive behavior.

In addition, such an action would create a basis for a better comparison of the demonstration to yelling, "Fire" in the future, as clearly each can result in a threat to the lives of those involved.
    Booklaw, the Supreme Court recognizes your argument as having some merit ...and is in the process of hearing arguments:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec10/supreme1_10-06.html

I can't say I know enough about the intricacies of the 1st Amendment to opine, but this should be interesting to see evolve.

P.S. They might hate gays more than jews... it seems to be a close call. If you are Gay AND Jewish, they certainly dislike you though.

[note: Whynot dislikes neither Gays nor Jews. Please contribute $ to Jewish and Gay organizations instead of attempting to find an enemy with me. Likewise, donate instead of giving these folks the attention they crave ...don't counter protesti on Monday. Thanks]
  • Booklaw-

After hearing arguments from both sides, today (March 2, 2011) the Supreme Court sided with Westboro church:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests

Apparently, even speech as offensive as their's is protected under our Bill of Rights.

This discussion has been closed.