PPW hits and misses — Brooklynian

PPW hits and misses

I realized today that the little commercial strip on PPW between say, 15th and 18th has undergone a good bit of change since the first time I came here a year ago. This got me thinking...what are peeps favorite and least favorite businesses on this street, new and old ? Its really such a mix and I wonder if I'm missing any "diamonds in the rough" ?
Discuss...

Comments

• I work on 19th and 10th so I am in the area a lot. In the 4 years Ive worked over here it has changed. There is a nice new bar called Double Windsor you should check out. Its a nice vide with friendly folk.

Terrace Bagels is delicious. Joes Pizza is good. And there is a mexican spot called eloras that has a super cheap lunch special that fills the plates and your belly.
  • My own personal favorites are:
    Double windsor
    the wine shop - ( Windsor Wines ? )
    United Meat Market
    Dub Pies
    P&E Grocery ( because they are so nice there )
    Terrace Bagels

My least favorites are:
    Ballard Drugstore because the hours are ridiculously inconvenient
    The 99 cent store because they have nothing worth buying
    Hot Diggity Dog because I just think its weird - sorry.

I get slices at Joe's for lack of a better option, but I think its just OK
  • "Love" :

- Double Windsor
    - Dub pies
    - P&E and the other grocery (they own both of the Korean bodegas. I have known that family forever)
    - "Loves" aka Krupa Grocery. Nicest family ever.
    - Terrace Bagels
    - Oak Park Pharmacy. Mohammed and company never let me down. The hours are not convenient, the merchandise is not fancy, but they fill usually fill prescriptions on the spot, remember what I am allergic to, will deliver and are just nice people
    - Hallmark store. I don't usually buy much, but I visit the kitties Sushi and Tiffany regularly and Diane (owner) doesn't mind. She's a cat lady :-)
    - $0.99 store. Not as great as some of the ones on 5th Ave, but still convenient and nice people

"Meh"
    - Joe's pizza. Truly mediocre, but will do in a pinch and people are nice enough
    - Enzo's - close to a "like"
    - Wine store. Big improvement over old wine store, but really not a big selection of "cheap and tasty" and prices not generally a bargain. The owner used to be part of Slope Cellars - that place does GREAT at "cheap and tasty". I was hoping for better. Still, they did a great job at restoring the place.

"Ick"
    - Farrells - do I even need to explain?
    - Sabella's - worst pizza ever. I heard it's for sale. Couldn't happen soon enough
    - Regina bakery. Blech. I'd rather chew cardboard
  • I like Enzo's very much, and I would move them to my favorites list if they would start delivering.
  • Love:
    United Meat Market
    Ballard Pharmacy (same owners as Oak Park). Saj is the best.
    Terrace Bagels
    Krupa "Love" Grocery--the nicest, nicest people/family
    P&E grocery--the nicest, nicest people/family

Like a lot
    Enzo's
    Windsor Shoes--my feet are happy and look pretty good
    Wine Store
    Dub Pies--don't go that often
    Double Windsor--don't go that often
    Pet store up near Hallmark Store--owner super friendly
    The Book Store (name???)
    The florist on Windsor near PPW has gotten a LOT better & delivers

Deal with ok:
    Joe's pizza, not really much choice
    Fez

Liking less lately
    CT Muffin. Coffee became too muddy for my taste
    Regina Bakery--they need to do a lot better
  • Forgot to add that I love United Meat and Windsor Shoes is pretty good, although I don't usually end up buying anything. I would love for them to replace Sabella's and Regina's with a real pizzeria and bakery.

The pet food store guy is really nice, but I will always miss Jackie at All For Paws (now the liquor store) for her unique "charm" and for the kitties who lived there.
  • You left out Holy Name Of Jesus, they have a great house wine.
  • regarding Farrells....
    I'm not at all tempted to go in, ever, but I'm still glad its there. Its open late and draws enough of a crowd that it brings life to the street, which makes it safer especially at night
    Its also nice that there are options, since different people like different types of bars :D
  • ^ I agree with that. It's not for me, but it serves the neighborhood well and has for years and years. I always know where to find a cop or a firefighter when I need one. I just don't want to hang out there :-)
  • ^^ I like the styrafoam cups.
  • ^^^ I appreciate their drive-thru service.

(kidding...cuz I hate when my texts start to slur when I drive :lol: )
  • Ha! You should have seen that place during the PS st. Patty's parade- ten men thick spilling into the street all desperate to get in. I made my friend cross the street.
  • I wonder whats going to happen with the ground floor of the funeral home space ?
    I'm thinking that being across the street from the church and school probably means it won't be a bar since there is some law about that...

It seems the building is still for sale which means it could be quite a while before anything opens.
  • Flexichick wrote: ^ I agree with that. It's not for me, but it serves the neighborhood well and has for years and years. I always know where to find a cop or a firefighter when I need one. I just don't want to hang out there :-)
    agreed. while i know there's a lot of drunkenness and i've read, here on the board, about incidents after 9/11, it does make me feel safer coming home later at night to know that there's a posse of law enforcement within running distance. unless i'm drunk and in heels.
  • Love le petit paris bistro. somewhat of an anomaly-the owners are French, the chef is french, the wait staff is french. Really good deals at dinner and lunch. Just what all of Park Slope needs.
  • Seems like something is going on in the Hot Diggity Dog space.
    The sign has been taken down, it appears the fixtures have been removed, and work is going on inside.
    Anybody know anything ? I hope something good comes to that spot !
  • ^ OMG. Hot Diggity Dog's name has been changed to..........

..............wait for it................

>>>>>>>>>>>MUNCH BOX<<<<<<<<<<<<

I kid you not
  • sounds like it belongs on 5th ave in the slope.
  • Flexichick wrote: ^ OMG. Hot Diggity Dog's name has been changed to..........

I kid you not
    at least it sends a positive message to the community.
  • Flexichick wrote: ^ OMG. Hot Diggity Dog's name has been changed to..........

I kid you not
    The next line under the name is:
    "The One Stop Munching Spot"

Oh, man...they have to know what this means, right?
  • Munch here........a little to the left......no, higher..........

gives new meaning to "eating out" :-)

I don't know if they do know what it means. I think it depends on whether English is their first language.
  • what kind of food is it?
  • vidro3 wrote: what kind of food is it?
    glazed donut holes :lol:
  • <----is trying to stifle my inner 12 year old boy, but not obviously not doing a very good job :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • no, seriously
  • vidro3 wrote: no, seriously
    no idea.
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=vidro3]what kind of food is it?
    glazed donut holes :lol:

Thanks for NOT saying oysters.
  • Flexichick wrote: Munch here........a little to the left......no, higher..........

gives new meaning to "eating out" :-)

I don't know if they do know what it means. I think it depends on whether English is their first language.

it's pretty obvious, your one of those women who knows how to hold their licker.
  • They must have decided against "Lunch at the Y"
  • If this fails, they are going to start serving meat and 2 veg.
  • It's a clam bar
  • I heard they also sell mustache rides.
  • hopefully there is nothing fishy going on.
  • i'm assuming they have box lunches.
  • tacos?
  • I try to get "down there" as often as I can, and always have a good time.
  • whynot_31 wrote: I try to get "down there" as often as I can, and always have a good time.
    Do we need to get Mrs. WhyNot online to talk about the secrets to a happy marriage? :lol:
  • vidro3 wrote: tacos?
    yes, pink tacos.
  • Flexi, stay on topic. This isn't about me.

As others have pointed out, this is a thread about the simple pleasures of going down there to the Munch Box and eating out as often as possible.
  • I keep walking past, hoping for a free sample....
  • d_luxx wrote: I keep walking past, hoping for a free sample....
    If the Munch Box is good, make sure you spread it.

...it's wrong to be selfish and not tell the whole board. Some posters would likely enjoy the experience as much as you did.
  • I've heard rumors that there are no black men at the Munch Box, but I don't believe that to be true.

BTW, sometimes you have to do more than that ...you have to actually ask.

In those instances, use tact. ...Be a cunning linguist.
    Once they give you a free sample, you will never leave. BEWARE THE MUNCH BOX!

(on a serious note, I tried getting a menu from them the other day but the gates were down in the middle of the day, so I guess the munching has not begun yet)
  • Flexichick wrote: (on a serious note, I tried getting a menu from them the other day but the gates were down in the middle of the day, so I guess the munching has not begun yet)
    No, no it's never that simple.

There's always some foreplay involved.
  • jeffrey wrote: [quote=Flexichick](on a serious note, I tried getting a menu from them the other day but the gates were down in the middle of the day, so I guess the munching has not begun yet)

When will people like Flexi understand? ...all people want is just a little politeness and tact. ...but no, people like her are always trying to go straight for the goods.
  • whynot_31 wrote: [quote=jeffrey][quote=Flexichick](on a serious note, I tried getting a menu from them the other day but the gates were down in the middle of the day, so I guess the munching has not begun yet)

When will people like Flexi understand? ...all people want is just a little politeness and tact. ...but no, people like her are always trying to go straight for the goods.

Ha! YOU are making this personal now, after you got all a-scared when I mentioned getting Mrs.WhyNot here. Do I need to email her? Just say the word and I will :-)

BTW, the current edition of Esquire (with Christina Hendricks on the cover) says that 35% of women say that receiving oral sex is a necessary part of foreplay. The other 65% are FUCKING STUPID or LYING! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Flexichick wrote: BTW, the current edition of Esquire (with Christina Hendricks on the cover) says that 35% of women say that receiving oral sex is a necessary part of foreplay. The other 65% are FUCKING STUPID or LYING! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yeah, but creative use of the words Choo or Blahnik cause those numbers to shoot way up.
  • Went by today and Munch Box is not open yet. There was nobody inside and there were a bunch of unopened boxes on the floor. Guess they all went to "eat out" elsewhere today.
  • Flexichick wrote: Went by today and Munch Box is not open yet. There was nobody inside and there were a bunch of unopened boxes on the floor. Guess they all went to "eat out" elsewhere today.
    damn, she is stalking that place.
  • Well, considering it just went from Hot Diggity Dog to Munch Box, perhaps it's still in recovery / transition.
  • both would make great XXX club names.
  • whynot_31 wrote: [quote=Flexichick]Went by today and Munch Box is not open yet. There was nobody inside and there were a bunch of unopened boxes on the floor. Guess they all went to "eat out" elsewhere today.
    damn, she is stalking that place.

It's right across the street from the dollar store, which I do regularly stalk. Since somebody did ask for the menu/what they serve, I thought I'd oblige. No such luck.
  • Flexichick wrote: I've heard rumors that there are no black men at the Munch Box, but I don't believe that to be true.

the restaurant will be be opened next week and it's rumored black men will be on the menu.
  • Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!
  • ^ why I love this place :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the box is now open for munching!
    Free Sex Smileys

(on a serious note - it's a lot of breakfast food + burgers, wraps, etc.)
  • [quote=Flexichick]image

Is that a new sign they put out?

*snickers
  • They have a whole section called: Tasty Sandwiches (meat)
  • There is work going on in the space next to Yama, right across the street from Munch Box. Anyone know anything ?
  • are we supposed to guess what the place across the street should appropriately named, based on its proximity to The Munch Box?

...first someone should define what "across the street" means.
  • I think it's going to be an asian place, Lik-Dong, if I am not mistaken.
  • vidro3 wrote: I think it's going to be an asian place, Lik-Dong, if I am not mistaken.

thats the owners name , the restaurant going to be Hung Low.
  • I noticed last week that there is a new hair salon on PPW between 17th and 18th, between A Movable Feast and the newish hippy-style massage place. Also, Bedawi Cafe between 17th and Prospect is pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.