South park Slope??? — Brooklynian

Comments

• I posted that link on Brownstoner.... I am on a MISSION to educate everyone that my area is not Sunset Park, Windsor Terrace or Greenwood Heights. I am so sick of the confusion!!!!!

• I am sick of it as well.

• Personally, I like the neighborhood name Greenwood Heights.

Supposedly there's some old map that shows the name, countering the belief that it was made up by real estate brokers. I think brokers prefer to call it south park slope, anyway. Regardless, it is tough to call it GWH though because no one else knows where that is unless they know someone who lives here, so I tend to switch back and forth between south park slope and greenwood heights. Or I say both.

The only people who have ever been bothered by this are people who live in Park Slope "proper". Like referring to this end of the neighborhood as south park slope will somehow tarnish their neighborhood.

• But it is Greenwood Heights, noob. Sounds like you need the education.

• It's not confusion. It's accurate. It doesn't seem like any of these names are officially official so really it's up to common parlance: it is what people call it.

I've always known Park Slope to be bordered on the north by Flatbush, the west by 4th ave, East at the Park and South at Prospect Ave/17th street. Prospect Ave, clearly divides the neighborhoods.

South Park Slope is not a good name for a new area - it's confusing. There is already a south Park Slope - it's the south part of Park Slope.

If it's so important that you are able to tell people you live in Park Slope, then either move to Park Slope, or just lie to people. The fact is that area is closer to Windsor Terrace and Kensignton than Park Slope. How far are we going to push the boundaries of Park Slope? Before we know it will reach down to Bay Ridge or Coney Island.

Here's a good way to tell: You're two blocks from Greenwood cemetary, but a mile and a half from Union Street - then you're simply not in Park Slope.

And it shouldn't matter. It's a very nice area. In fact, I think trying to latch on to the Park Slope area isn't doing it justice. It really is a bit different than PS, so it should have it's own identity.

• Some people in Greenwood Heights have a huge chip on their shoulder because they don't want to be lumped in with Sunset Park and they desperately want to live in a nabe that people in Manhattan and Time Out NY have heard of. It is its own unique neighborhood and deserves it's own name; Park Slope South (or South Park Slope) sounds defensive and like an afterthought. The folks who don't want it to be called GH or SP will just have to wait until the Corcoran Gods decide what to call it. Sorry.

• ... which means that it will have some incredibly asinine acronym like DUMBO. You don't need to call something a bridge and an overpass. It's a bridge. So that makes the area just DUMB.

• I won't debate this again, but the names are in maps form the 1700s that are "Heights of the Greenwood," Heights of Gownus," and plain old "Greenwood" due to the proximity to the cemetery. City Planning and Community Board 7 have recognized the name, as has Google and Bing (for what it's worth).

And GWH folks are allowed to have a chip on our shoulders, we're proud of our scrappy 'nabe, both old timers and newbies. South Park slope we are not (North of the Expressway) and Sunset park we aren't either (south of 34th St).

Just don't call us late to dinner :)

• And Fowler, thanks for the link, but that's the name of the rezoning plan, not the neighborhoods. I was there at the hearings and when it was signed into law in City Council.

• I prefer Greenwood Heights...makes me feel like I live in a posh area :-)

• HA! Posh is not a word I would use for the neighborhood, eclectic perhaps

• Next up: debating the northern boundary of Sunset Park. 34th street borders the Cemetery, BTW, so I consider that to be The Neighborhood Formerly Known As South Park Slope, or whatever you guys are leaning towards calling it. Sunset really starts at 36th, but that's a mild differentiation compared to the Great South Slope debate.

BTW, I was just looking at Google and their designation is South Slope, which is too bad because I do really like Greenwood Heights. I'd rather be pegged to a cemetery than a pack of self-entitled baby stroller mommies.

• lostingreenwoodhts said:

I won't debate this again, but the names are in maps form the 1700s

But in reality this doesn't matter if no one calls it by these names. My main issue with DUMBO (besides it being retarded) is that it already had a name - two in fact. It was Fulton Ferry and it was Vinegar Hill (which I think sounds cool). It doesn't matter how right I am about this if the vast majority of people call it DUMBO.

• Piano said:

But in reality this doesn't matter if no one calls it by these names. My main issue with DUMBO (besides it being retarded) is that it already had a name - two in fact. It was Fulton Ferry and it was Vinegar Hill (which I think sounds cool). It doesn't matter how right I am about this if the vast majority of people call it DUMBO.

Vinegar Hill is still a place, though. Not sure if the boundary has changed if that's what you mean, but it's definitely still a neighborhood and it's not actively called DUMBO.

• When I moved to 12th street in 1978 some folks north of 9th street resented that we referred to this area as "the south slope." It denigrated 3rd St. I guess!

• @oldsloper

HA!

When I moved some friends to 12th St. and 7th Ave in 1989, it was called "what the heck are you young kids moving in here...you're crazy..."

Slope what?

This discussion has been closed.