How to do something useful to help Libya — Brooklynian

How to do something useful to help Libya

Want to Help Humanitarian Operations in Libya using your Laptop? Join UN Volunteers Online Now!

Click here!

The UN Online Volunteer Service (OVS) has now teamed up with the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the Standby Task Force to support crisis mapping efforts in Libya. This means you can now join the UN as a volunteer to provide direct support to the humanitarian response in Libya.

The Libya Crisis Map helps both OCHA and operational organizations like UNHCR, WFP and the Red Cross to both develop a better situation overview as well as complement traditional assessments in determining the most appropriate response to the humanitarian emergency. At the request of OCHA’s Information Services Section, the Standby Volunteer Task Force was activated to create and support the Libya Crisis Map.

Comments

• Okay, I've gotten no response about the Libya Crisis Map project, but that doesn't meant that it hasn't been quite productive. Here is an update:

StandbyTaskForce wrote:

This has been a really amazing past 3 weeks. The size of this amazing Standby Volunteer Team has more than doubled over the past 10 days. We are now more than 400 volunteers in this community and from more than 50 countries. That's absolutely amazing. Thanks very much for joining--you're

all veterans by now!

I wanted to let you know that The Task Force's work in Libya was recently featured on CNN. I didn't see the interview myself but if I get the link, I'll be sure to pass it along. The Libya deployment was also presented at the South by Southwest (SXSW) conference in Austin and at Amnesty

International's 50th Annual Meeting in San Francisco just yesterday. The Libya project and Task Force will also be presented at upcoming conferences and meetings in Oxford, Geneva, Belgrade, Berlin, Oslo, London, the Hague

and to the Office of the Special Advisor to the UN Secretary General on the Prevention of Genocide and Mass Atrocities. So be sure to add yourself to the Member's Map on the Ning platform as I always use that as one of my main

slides in my presentations to highlight that you are all running this incredible initiative. Also, if you have any interesting stories that you'd like me to share, please do let me know at any time. I want to make sure that as many people as possible learn about the inspiring work that this

volunteer community is doing.

This discussion has been closed.