seeking news stories on recent anti-muslim hate crime in NYC — Brooklynian

seeking news stories on recent anti-muslim hate crime in NYC

Hi All,

As some you know I have moved to warmer climes to work for an Alabama-based organization concerned with hate groups and hate crimes.

I have been tasked with collecting news stories about NYC-based anti-Muslim hate crimes and violence in recent weeks since the "mosque" controversy started. These need to be verifiable stories which means for these purposes that they need to have appeared in print in a reputable location. No anecdotes. Blogs only if reputable. Not much time to fact check as this is a rush job. We will be doing more in-depth coverage later, never you fear. Since y'all live in NYC, you are definitely going to be more aware of stuff that maybe hasn't made national news yet than I.

Please include links, name of publication, date, etc. when possible.

I'm already aware of the drunk Queens man who peed on prayer rugs in a mosque (and if these were less serious times, I'd be making a Big Lebowski joke right about now). And that douchebag student who attacked a cabbie.

I bet there've been other incidents though.

Your help is greatly, greatly greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • I'd suggest calling organizations within the Muslim community to see if such an effort is already being undertaken. They are more likely to know about such events than us bored bloggers

    Here's my google results for Queens Muslim Association.

    Imam Al-Khoei Islamic Center
    89-89 Van Wyck Expressway, Jamaica, NY 11435
    Phone: (718) 297-6520
    Contact: Muhsin M. R. Alidina
    Contact E-mail: Alkhoei@aol.com
    http://www.al-khoei.org

    Islamic Institute of New York
    55-11 Queens Boulevard, Woodside, NY 11375
    (718) 651-5888
    http://iiny.org

    http://www.icna.org/

    Islamic Seminary
    http://www.tiac.net/users/islam/index1.htm

    Shahe Najaf Islamic Center
    124 Street, Brentwood NY 11717
    Phone Number: 516-273-7353
    Contact: Istafa Naqvi

    Shia Ithna-Asheri Jamaat of NY
    48-67 58th Street, Woodside NY 11377
    Phone: (718) 507-7680
    Contact: Secretary

    http://www.icnyu.org/

    Elmhurst Muslim Society Inc
    4102 Forley Street, Flushing - (718) 779-1519

    Islamic Society of Far Rockaway
    1032 Beach 19th Street, Far Rockaway - (718) 471-3984

    United Muslim Martial Artist Association (UMMAA) International -
    153-01 Jamaica Avenue, Jamaica - (718) 487-3536
  • "Not much time to fact check as this is a rush job."

    Well, ok then. Maybe there aren't many or not that much to make a story out of.
  • How on earth are these two things related?
    lnelson wrote: "Not much time to fact check as this is a rush job."
    eggcream wrote: Maybe there aren't many or not that much to make a story out of.
  • I personally like the last organization on my list.

    ....if one of their members is attacked, the attacker may be in for far more than he expected.

    I wouldn't be surprised if their membership increases as a result of this act.

    ....it is always good to be able to defend one's self
  • Boygabriel wrote: How on earth are these two things related?

    [quote=lnelson]"Not much time to fact check as this is a rush job."
    eggcream wrote: Maybe there aren't many or not that much to make a story out of.
    Ok, I'll write slowly for you. The OP is looking for hate crimes since the mosque controversy, mentions 2 incidents, and is looking for more but is in a rush so not much time to fact check. Maybe since she can't find any on her own there aren't any but I doubt that will make it into the article.

    I wonder if they investigated the muslim couple who started Bridges TV. They were so tired about the way muslims were being portrayed ie in a bad light.

    Quote:

    Muzzammil S. Hassan., the CEO of Bridges TV, expressed belief that moderate Muslims cannot identify with the extreme stereotypes often depicted in Hollywood productions and said "They think they are not accurately portrayed...Bridges TV gives American Muslims a voice and will depict them in everyday, real life situations."[1] Hassan also said he hoped the Bridges TV network would balance negative portrayals of Muslims following the attacks on September 11, 2001.

    Well, the Mrs has since been beheaded. Is that considered a hate crime?

    "In February 2009, Hassan was arrested and charged with beheading his estranged wife Aasiya Zubair who also worked for Bridges TV. Her body was found at the TV station."
  • Sadly restating the same thing doesn't introduce logic.

    "I'm in a rush" =/= there's no evidence out there.

    These two things are completely unrelated.

    If the person said, "I've searched and haven't found anything", then you might have a point.

    Sadly, you don't.
  • Per the NYPD via AP: There have apparently been 10 "hate crimes" against Muslims in the city this year. No word on how many of those were actually prosecuted or were legitimate accusations. In contrast, there have been 93 reported "hate crimes" against Jews this year in NYC (and 36 anti-gay and 23 anti-black).

    In other words, anti-Muslim hate crimes in NYC (or anywhere else in the US) are a statistical non-entity.

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5OdR6FH4zsmEVanHGR0y-jbOzngD9HRH1B81
  • In general, I think that most of the hate crimes have not been in NYC, nor in Brooklyn. Certainly no one in my neighborhood (Sunset Park) has seen any increase. I think that most of the "sound & fury" comes from outside the sity & the state. Remember the NY Times ran an article about the Cordoba Center last December. No on paid any attention until faux TV made a "cause" out of it. it is a manufactured "story."
  • Salix wrote: In general, I think that most of the hate crimes have not been in NYC, nor in Brooklyn. Certainly no one in my neighborhood (Sunset Park) has seen any increase. I think that most of the "sound & fury" comes from outside the sity & the state.
    Mmm, yes, that must be the problem, all these hate crimes against Muslims are taking place outside NYC. Maybe you could help the OP by digging up some stats on that or finding some links to stories.
    Salix wrote: Remember the NY Times ran an article about the Cordoba Center last December. No on paid any attention until faux TV made a "cause" out of it. it is a manufactured "story."
    Orrrr, maybe no one really reads the NYT anymore, especially when compared to Fox News' viewership.
  • whynot_31 wrote: Daddy, what if they stirred up hate and nobody became violent?
    I won't insult your intelligence by defining "projection" for you, but you seem to have a very tough time imagining that some people in this country:

    a) Think for themselves instead of blindly accepting what the media tells them;
    b) Don't resort to violence when confronted with something with which they disagree;
    c) Might have legitimate reasons for having a certain opinion on a controversial subject and are not bigoted or racist or whatever other slur de jour you're heaving about just because they have a different opinion than you do.
  • Jimmy wrote:
    c) Might have legitimate reasons for having a certain opinion on a controversial subject and are not bigoted or racist or whatever other slur de jour you're heaving about just because they have a different opinion than you do.
    In many many many cases this is true. However I've yet to see a non-bigoted and/or ignorant reason why the downtown community center shouldn't be built, or a non-bigoted reason uttered by the guy who ran for Gov of TN, or for some of the other anti-Muslim stances taken by local governments and communities across this great land, with more to come, I can assure you.
  • I've never worried about the the thinking ones.

    ....I've worried about the others, the anti-muslim people that the media has been so fascinated with over the last few weeks

    I'm just glad that my worry (or "projection") has so far been largely unfounded. So far the story is WAY OVER COVERED.

    ....so far, Jimmy is right, 99.99% seem to be thinking for themselves (great news!)

    But time will tell....

    I was worried that the ratio of smart people to reactionaries would be smaller on this issue, say 100:1.

    1 reactionary per hundred can do a lot of damage in a country of 300 million.
  • I'm hoping the fretters (like me) will be able to look back on this story like I Iook back on the "Y2K computer doom!" stories ....these, of course, turned out to be a lot of fear over very little risk.

    It's true, I do fear people who hate upon command.

    In times like these I view our present state of everyone "getting along" (of course, we actually don't) as being very tenuous.

    ...so much so, that I wonder if (aka "project") there are more reactionaries then there actually are, and/or wonder if they are capable of a lot of harm despite their small numbers.

    If all I need is a xanax or valium to get through this, I'll be psyched.

    P.S. In my world view, everyone (including me) is racist and bigoted. It is human nature. As a result, I don't use those terms as slurs.

    ....I view life as being a constant process of trying to keep ones emotions in check with ones logic and intellect. As discussed on the "community center" thread, it is hard work. So, I guess I fear people with lazy minds.

    ....and I fear that the Bill of Rights isn't enforced instances wherein lazy people with lazy minds are the majority.

    As I said, I am delighted that so far my fears seem to have been largely unfounded and that Jimmy appears correct.

    c'mon America! Keep it up!
    Put in the work. Git er done!
  • There is no question that New Yorkers are just as capable of hate crimes against Muslims as the rest of the country. In fact, the danger is probably greater here, because there is a concentrated Muslim population that our citizens come into contact with daily.

    Mosques and Muslim-owned businesses were vandalized in New York City after 9/11. It happened in Brooklyn. I'm sure that we'll start seeing more of these kind of crimes in the coming months, as we have already seen a vicious attack on a Muslim cabbie.

    Let's look in our own backyard. And then maybe ask WHY?
  • Why?

    To me, it comes down to who is telling you "to behave". For a minute, let's assume as a result of the 9/11 attacks (as well as the other ones, and the attempts) that I hate all muslims. While were are at it, let's assume I think George Bush is a good guy, a christian, who I think understands my family and my way of life. (got an image of me?) Are there a lot people who think like me? ....it doesn't matter. For the sake of this conversation, just imagine me.

    When George was president, he came out and said: "this is not a war against muslims. We do not hate muslims. This a war against Al Queda". And, because I had some (maybe not even a lot....) of respect for him, I listened.


    Now, imagine I am the same guy 8 years later. I hate Obama. I am not certain he is Christian, and -frankly- don't think he understands me and my family at all. He doesn't speak for me. Not only that, I don't even understand the people I think he is speaking for. When Obama comes out and says "this is not a war against muslims. We do not hate muslims". I respond "I do not have to listen to you. You do not speak for me"

    ....and, yes, this individual can (and does) live anywhere in the country.
  • To WhyNot et al -

    I guess I don't understand why you all (you, the American media, CAIR, Mayor Bloomberg, the OP, etc) are spending so much time stressing about anti-Muslim violence, when there is basically no evidence that such violence will ever materialize.

    There has never been any sort of significant anti-Muslim "backlash" in this country in the almost ten years since 9/11, despite numerous acts of terrorist violence by Muslims since then (Ft. Hood, London, Madrid, Christmas attempt, etc). Each time something happens, the usual suspects immediately warn against an anti-Muslim backlash. Each time, nothing of the sort happens.

    And yet you seem obsessed with the idea that there is some sort of ultra-violent anti-Muslim underground out there, just waiting to unleash it's bigoted pent up wrath against Muslims living in America.

    How many times do you need to be proven wrong before you can accept that you're wrong?

    Maybe your time and angst would be better spent worrying about the exponentially more prevalent danger of anti-Semitic hate crimes, or about hate crimes committed by Muslims against their own families.
  • Jimmy, it is simple:

    The far left is always looking for a worthy victim and evil villians to fulfill its over developed sense of justice. This could be the story that allows it to prove the moral superiority that it has always craved!

    ....let's not forget that such stories cause people to consume news, which causes advertisers to buy commericals during the new$ .

    [critique of the far right provided upon request]
  • whynot wrote:
    The far left is always looking for a worthy victim and evil villians to fulfill its over developed sense of justice. This could be the story that allows it to prove the moral superiority that it has always craved!
    It is very inaccurate to attach this accusation to one side and not automatically mention the other. Few people spend more time crying (literally) about being victimized than Glenn Beck and the Tea crazies.
  • whynot_31 wrote: Jimmy, it is simple:

    The far left is always looking for a worthy victim and evil villians to fulfill its over developed sense of justice.
    Some conservatives would disagree with me, but I have a hard time seeing how Mayor Bloomberg could ever be considered "far left."

    And yet the immediate and predictable de facto response from Hizzoner and basically every other remotely left-of-center politician, newsperson and academic in the country to a terrorist attack is to warn of a pending anti-Muslim backlash. Which never occurs.
  • Jimmy wrote:
    And yet the immediate and predictable de facto response from Hizzoner and basically every other remotely left-of-center politician, newsperson and academic in the country to a terrorist attack is to warn of a pending anti-Muslim backlash. Which never occurs.
    This is a ridiculous overstatement. Come on man.
  • Boygabriel wrote: [quote=whynot]
    The far left is always looking for a worthy victim and evil villians to fulfill its over developed sense of justice. This could be the story that allows it to prove the moral superiority that it has always craved!
    It is very inaccurate to attach this accusation to one side and not automatically mention the other. Few people spend more time crying (literally) about being victimized than Glenn Beck and the Tea crazies.

    so noted. ...both sides desire moral superiority.

    ...as a reason for not mentioning it, I wish to hide behind the lame excuse of "time constraints".
  • Boygabriel wrote: [quote=Jimmy]
    And yet the immediate and predictable de facto response from Hizzoner and basically every other remotely left-of-center politician, newsperson and academic in the country to a terrorist attack is to warn of a pending anti-Muslim backlash. Which never occurs.
    This is a ridiculous overstatement. Come on man.

    You don't get to complain to anyone, ever, about ridiculous overstatements.
  • Jimmy wrote: [quote=Boygabriel][quote=Jimmy]
    And yet the immediate and predictable de facto response from Hizzoner and basically every other remotely left-of-center politician, newsperson and academic in the country to a terrorist attack is to warn of a pending anti-Muslim backlash. Which never occurs.
    This is a ridiculous overstatement. Come on man.

    You don't get to complain to anyone, ever, about ridiculous overstatements.

    Way to make it personal instead of dealing with the issue.

    Oh well.
  • Boygabriel wrote: [quote=Jimmy][quote=Boygabriel][quote=Jimmy]
    And yet the immediate and predictable de facto response from Hizzoner and basically every other remotely left-of-center politician, newsperson and academic in the country to a terrorist attack is to warn of a pending anti-Muslim backlash. Which never occurs.
    This is a ridiculous overstatement. Come on man.

    You don't get to complain to anyone, ever, about ridiculous overstatements.

    Way to make it personal instead of dealing with the issue.

    Oh well.

    Ok, you're right. Somtimes Bloomberg's immediate response is to accuse the Tea Party of an attempted terrorist attack in NYC without any evidence or reason.
  • As a "far left" "progressive" who spends a lot of time reading blogs in the same vein, I'm honesty baffled at your claim that we spend so much time and effort commenting on perceived anti-muslim backlash.

    Just in the content of posts and articles alone I don't see how this can be true.
  • Jimmy wrote:
    So just to be clear, you refuse to admit that anyone (including 71% of New Yorkers) can be opposed to the GZM for any reason other than illogical, ignorant and bigoted fear of Muslims?
    Meet me in the Reid/DMCC post and I'll be happy to clarify.
    Jimmy wrote: [quote=Boygabriel]Mosque opposition is only going to grow in the coming year or two, and if I am wrong, I will admit it. I expect the same of you.
    What's your point? I'm not arguing that peaceful opposition to mosques will or will not increase. And what does that have to do with (the almost complete lack of) violence against Muslims in America?

    My concern for Muslim Americans (or any minority) is not limited solely to violence. That was your choice to focus on it.

    I think potential violence, angry and hateful rhetoric, and trying to force people or a religion out of a community are interrelated.
  • I think that Jimmy's points deserve to be addressed, not dismissed outright.

    So, Jimmy, yes I agree with you that liberal news sources will do their best to sensationalize the hot topic of anti-Muslim violence in the coming weeks. Over the span of three days, Salon.com published six often-redundant stories about the anti-Muslim cabbie incident. Such "reporting" is a function of how our news media works these days (or doesn't work anymore, depending on who you ask) by inflaming viewers who have largely already made up their minds. The flip side of Salon.com, of course, is Fox News. All of this makes it difficult to have a rationale discussion.

    Here are official FBI stats on hate crimes against Muslims since 1995:

    http://www.splcenter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/web_antiislamic_hate_crimes_chart.jpg

    Note the huge spike in 2001. I think we can agree that the majority of the reported crimes would have occurred during the aftermath of 9/11, in the last three months of the year then. Not only do hate crimes against Muslims increase drastically in the last few months of 2001, they stay elevated afterwards compared to pre-9/11 incidents, although as Jimmy notes they never again reach the levels of 2001.

    Now to one of Jimmy's points, 105 incidences across the U.S. in 2008 may not seem like very many. However, 1) hate crimes are vastly underreported, and 2) Muslims are one of the smallest ethnic minorities in the U.S. This last point becomes relevant when comparing reported numbers of hate crimes against Muslims beside hate crimes against Jews.

    In my own opinion, the elevation that occurred in the last decade is worrisome, because I see what's going on in Europe, where Muslims seem to have become the scapegoats for the decline in economic prosperity. There you have groups like the English Defense League, made up of working-class Brits, which claims to fight Muslim extremism but whose members have been documented chanting "We hate Muslims" at rallies and have incited street violence. I think that the only reason we haven't seen that kind of behavior from Americans is that we simply don't have a comparably visible population of Muslims. However, Muslims and their community centers and mosques are becoming more and more visible everyday now.

    Given its current economic outlook, Americans could use some scapegoats these days too, and historical precedents support using racial minorities. America's economic prosperity was founded on her racist tenets. So much so that racism was embedded in our Constitution, which stipulates that only white, male, property owners can vote. The U.S.A. was built on the backs of black slaves and Native American Indians. More recently, American immigrants - Jews, Irish, Italians - fought racism directed towards them and took on the mantle of white privilege. But, suddenly, as our country's fortunes change, white privilege isn't the job guarantee it used to be.

    When you're feeling financially insecure - because you don't have a college degree, you're getting old, or your skills need updated - it's tempting to sublimate your anxiety into good, 'ole racism, racism that I might add has served us well as a country. In other words, people committing hate crimes are acting on the same racist, American impulse that I see when people on the board begin tossing the word "ghetto" around as shorthand for black. Racism is pretty darn part and parcel of what it means to be "American," and Islamophobia is just one more extension of that. What makes this whole process easier is that there actually are Islam-identified fundamentalist groups that are devoted to sabotaging American supremacy, even if your local cabbie isn't a member.

    Besides all this, I'm sure that MHA could talk specifically about how hatred of Muslims dovetails nicely with racism against blacks (who are often the same group), but alas we no longer benefit from his presence.
  • krowonhill wrote:

    2) Muslims are one of the smallest ethnic minorities in the U.S. This last point becomes relevant when comparing reported numbers of hate crimes against Muslims beside hate crimes against Jews.
    Just a minor correction. In the US, Muslims are a religious, not ethnic minority. Muslims in the US are a group that includes many ethnic groups including Asians, Whites and Blacks. Among each of those ethnic groups, American Muslims may cite as their ethnicity as coming from a myriad of countries. This is in contrast to other places such as Bosnia or India where the Muslim population is an indigenous ethnic minority subgroup. Jews are both a religious and an ethnic minority in this country.
  • homeowner wrote: [quote=krowonhill]

    2) Muslims are one of the smallest ethnic minorities in the U.S. This last point becomes relevant when comparing reported numbers of hate crimes against Muslims beside hate crimes against Jews.
    Just a minor correction. In the US, Muslims are a religious, not ethnic minority. Muslims in the US are a group that includes many ethnic groups including Asians, Whites and Blacks. Among each of those ethnic groups, American Muslims may cite as their ethnicity as coming from a myriad of countries. This is in contrast to other places such as Bosnia or India where the Muslim population is an indigenous ethnic minority subgroup. Jews are both a religious and an ethnic minority in this country.

    homeowner, I stand corrected - thank-you. Your point actually raises my most personal concern about this topic: my husband is a second generation Indian. Since many foreign-born Muslims in the U.S. are also Indian, I also fear an escalating backlash against Muslims for that reason.

    In fact, when I was last in India last December, news headlines were blazing about young Sikhs being killed in Australia and Texas. These were hate crimes directed at students because of their dark skin and their turbans, which in all three cases the killers mistook to be associated with Islam. Unlike our comparatively-gracious local, these killers didn't stop to ask their victims if they were Muslims before the murders.
  • Add:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/nyregion/01mosque.html

    So far we have one drunk, white, mentally ill guy in a taxi.

    ...and a pack of presumably white, drinking teenagers in their cars
    (the article does not mention their race)

    ...the Usual Suspects?

    Not as bad as I feared.

    ...I do like the part about how they decided to chase and then corner the folks who just fired a shotgun in the air.
    They cornered the teenagers, who Mr. Huzair said were in two trucks, at the boat launch, holding them for 40 minutes until the police arrived. “For us it was extremely frightening,” Mr. Huzair said. “We had cornered people who had just fired at us and run us over.”
    ....those teenagers are damn lucky the guys pursing them decided to call 911.
  • [note: The following post appears somewhat out of context because of the thread split]

    I'd even say that once one is aware that the mind makes generalizations out of human nature, it is the obligation of the person to constantly work to ensure that they make such generalizations as rarely as possible.

    ....I believe parents and elementary teachers begin this process of teaching.

    In otherwords, I have a pretty hard time not blaming adults for their views as well.

    ...especially when I know they have been confronted on them yet still hold on to them.

    Because I believe that most people have a functioning mind, I believe that very few adults are ignorant soley as a result of circumstance ...hence my belief that we are more likely to see, "willful ignorance".

    "Willful ignorance", of course, is a complete load of crap.

    To make a long story short: If someone is ignorant and they claim to be a "thinking adult", I am fascinated by them. I wonder whether they are really isolated, confused, delusional, or actually -in fact- a child.

    I have high standards.
  • Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

    OP here.

    Before clarifying my long-lost intent with this posting, since the conversation has digressed I would like to say that for the first time ever, I find myself essentially aligned with MHA - to wit: The planners of the community center Constitutionally and otherwise have a right to build it wherever they want, but if they didn't predict strong opposition to this location, they were idiots. I'm amazed it became such a big national issue, but then it's summer and we all love big meaningless stories in the summer.

    Thing is, however unreasonable, unfair, shitty, racist, ignorant, Glenn Beckian and and all other things the virulent protests against the building are, the fact that there's at least some kind of hue and cry isn't surprising. Unfair, but not a shocker. And it could have been avoided. I support the planners' right to build their center there, but if I'd been the planner and my sole goal was to create a Muslim-oriented 92nd Street Y type of institution to benefit both Muslims and others, I would have picked a less freighted spot.

    Now to my point. I myself may be a radical leftist, but that's not what was going on with this post. The organization I work for is the most prominent tracker of hate crimes in the United States, and we were being asked by a major TV news organization to confirm that there had been only the 2 that I mentioned. Knowing that I'm recently from NYC, my boss asked if I had any sources that might be able to confirm or disconfirm this notion. I wasn't looking to inflate any numbers. I was looking to make sure that when my boss appeared on TV as an expert, he didn't miss anything prominent OR inflate numbers.

    Part of what my organization found is that Muslims are such a small percentage of the US population that it's not especially meaningful to include them in statistics comparing them to other groups that are targets of hate crimes in this country. It'd more useful to compare hate crimes against them from year to year and see if there's a change. Such as in the helpful chart in Krowonhill's 1st page post. Gotta keep that chart updated and make sure it reflects reality, not media predictions re violence and hate crimes against Muslims.

    A hate crime, btw, is 1st a crime and 2nd motivated by hate. Lots of racist stuff doesn't fall within hate crime. But for instance if you beat someone up because you don't like them, that's a crime. If you beat them up because they're Muslim, that's a hate crime. The crime was the assault. The "hate" part is about hating Muslims and if it can be proven to be your motivation, it can amplify your sentence.

    Legally, protests and racist statements, however awful, are free speech, not hate crimes unless they incite violence/mayhem in the very specific way that something like shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater (which is also not protected free speech) does.

    To reiterate: This post was about confirming facts, not helping either the left or the right make some kind of political point. If your organization is the source of facts, you want to make sure it has the facts. Even if someone on this board had mentioned some hate crime we hadn't heard of, I would have carefully confirmed it via multiple sources before feeling confident I could relay it to my boss as fact.

    In conclusion, yeah, I hope Glenn Beck falls hard from grace and John Stewart is canonized, but those hopes had zero to do with the question I asked in this post.
  • Mod note, all discussion specifically focused on the downtown community center has been moved here.

    Any such future comments will be moved too.

    Thanks
  • Above, on Sept 1, I wrote:
    So far we have one drunk, white, mentally ill guy in a taxi.

    ...and a pack of presumably white, drinking teenagers in their cars
    (the article does not mention their race)

    ...the Usual Suspects?

    Not as bad as I feared.
    A few weeks have passed, and I remain pleased that there has seemingly been no huge increase in crimes directly specifically against Muslims (i.e. "hate crimes").

    [Like it always does, the media has seemingly moved on to warning us about other impending threats to carefree bliss. (Note to OP: Please bring back Killer bees, or sharks. Everyone loves to fear sharks.

    Make them attack people of one specific religion or ethnicity in order to fulfill your employer's mission)]


    ...this time elapse has again confirmed my belief that very few people are the violent variety, and that most of us are either able to control our anger toward Muslims OR don't have any such hatred toward them. (I'm an optimist, I hope for the latter).

    That said....

    Dare I try to move the discussion to non-violent forms ways in which one can "clearly express objection to Islam" and/or "keep them in their place"?

    This article by Farah Akbar seems to argue that very middle class, non-violent folks are presently expressing themselves through the selective and creative interpretation of things like town zoning and construction codes.

    It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Anyone remember the phrase Urban Renewal? ....or the decades of battles in Yonkers? ....gotta love Yonkers!
    http://www.citylimits.org/news/articles/2459/yonkers-race-trap].

    Anyway, before I veer off topic, here is the link to the short article I would like folks to read:

    http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/Civil Rights/20100914/3/3362

    (5 minutes passes)

    So, now that you have read it, should we expand our conversation beyond what so far has largely been the purview of impluse-driven teenagers and drunk mentally ill guys?

    Or, should we efficiently and and conveniently dismiss the author of this article as interpreting the facts to meet her preconceived agenda?

    While no one is arguing that creative Urban Planning meets the definition of Hate Crimes, do the events and issues she describes have a place in this thread? .

    ...Surely someone can effectively hate Muslims and effectively "keep them in their place" without being violent, or committing a crime.

    I argue that such a discussion would respect the mod's bright red request that we restrict our posting "specifically focused on the downtown community center" to elsewhere.

    ....and if we are going to remain on topic, we could (like the article's author, Farah Akbar) limit our discussion to instances against Muslims within, say, 50 miles of Grand Army Plaza.

    ...that way us city folks couldn't be accused of thinking we are holier than thou, and the OP could might get to see an expansion of what could be considered HATE, even though we couldn't help her out by being violent criminals.

    ...her deadline has likely long passed anyway.
  • The majority of Americans are Christians.

    The majority of shark attacks in American waters involve Americans.

    Therefore sharks must be Muslim terrorists, right?
  • yeah, an interesting court decision for sure

  • This recent incident seems to involve an 11 and 13 year old on Staten Island, beating up a 12 year old muslim kid.

    http://gothamist.com/2011/04/06/no_bail_for_kids_accused_of_anti-mu.php

    Based on the reporting, I think it would be pretty hard for it not be a hate crime. But I'm pretty sure the Hate Crime law is not applicable to folks who can not be tried as adults.

    So, while it may meets our definition of a Hate Crime, it doesn't meet New York State's.

    Someone else can argue for an expansion of the types of crimes and suspects that are covered NYS Hate Crime Laws; I'll just sit here and try to figure out how our legal system performs in these situations.

This discussion has been closed.