Holistic Vet? — Brooklynian

Holistic Vet?

edited 12:27PM in Brooklyn Pets

Our older boxer boy has been diagnosed with lymphoma (apparently common to the breed). Devastated but did some research and appears that holistic seems to be the best route to go (willing to hear pros and cons). Chemo was an option and although the length of his life may be extended - not sure of the QUALITY. Thinking holistic. Does anyone have any feedback on this vet?

KRISTINE YOUNG , DVM

HOPE VETERINARY CLINIC

390 ATLANTIC AVE

Comments

• We have not seen Kristine Young there but we are happy with them as our vet. I know that they do a lot of alternative treatments there. We have a dog that had a blown disk and even though they did not get the diagnosis right away, they did get him effectively treated right away to help him. Once they were able to narrow it down to a blown disk they referred us to VERGE (Veterinary Emergency Referral Group) in Cobble Hill where they repaired his disk.

We also had his teeth taken care of at Hope and we were very happy with their work.

• I don't know what holistic services they offer, but HOPE is my vet, and they have always treated my animals with great care and kindness.

They prioritize the animals, that really comes through in many ways. I trust them, so at the least I'd check them out.

• This has been my vet since 2006. They have been great - very professional and loving. We've just been for basic check-ups and shots, but I think they are well respected.

• One way to evaluate a vet is to see where they did their undergrad, & grad training & where they did any post-doctoral work. Also, are the Board-certified in their specialty? It might be a good idea to get an appt to talk with this vet, tell her your wishes & see what sort of treatment plan she proposes.

• One of my kitties has lymphoma too. The chemotherapy they use for companion animals is not like the chemo for humans. The doses are much lower and are designed to improve quality of life and extend longevity. The massive doses they use in humans are to cure the disease. My kitty has been on a combination of three drugs for a week and is showing some improvement, although it really is too early to tell, but she is not distressed by the treatment so far. I go to Brooklyn Cares Vet.

• I am so sorry to hear about your pup. We did chemo with one of our whippets and although they only expected that it would extend Barley's life a year, he lived with us for almost two years. He had no real side effects and we are glad that we chose to do it. In conjunction with the chemo we also tried a holistic/alternative medicine approach for a bit, but he hated to take the herbs:(

For our big girl who had an inoperable tumor in her spinal cord we had no other choice but to use the holistic approach. I do not know if it really helped, but we used Dr. Wynn in the Hamptons. It was a long drive, but our vet at Animal Kind highly recommended him and I appreciated his honesty with their prognosis.

• I am so sorry to hear about your pup. We did chemo with one of our whippets and although they only expected that it would extend Barley's life a year, he lived with us for almost two years. He had no real side effects and we are glad that we chose to do it. In conjunction with the chemo we also tried a holistic/alternative medicine approach for a bit, but he hated to take the herbs:(

For our big girl who had an inoperable tumor in her spinal cord we had no other choice but to use the holistic approach. I do not know if it really helped, but we used Dr. Wynn in the Hamptons. It was a long drive, but our vet at Animal Kind highly recommended him and I appreciated his honesty with their prognosis.

• I'm sure you've figured out a course of action by now (I'm sorry I'm so late in responding). For the future, I have two recommendations for animals with cancer. One is Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM or TCVM), and for that, I would recommend Steven Chiros (http://www.eastwestvetcare.com/). The other is homeopathy -- and for that, I would check out Jill Elliot (nyholisticvet.com/)

Hope this helps,

Phyllis

Pooch & Kitty

http://www.poochandkitty.net

This discussion has been closed.