Cat dandruff? How do I get rid of it? — Brooklynian

Cat dandruff? How do I get rid of it?

MODMOD
edited 3:20PM in Brooklyn Pets

My cat has dandruff, it is super gross, I hate it, and it aggravates my allergies. Anyone know how to get rid of the problem?

Also, do you use this comb? Is it worth the price? He's a short hair black cat.

"FURminator Small Blue deShedding Tool with 1.75-Inch Edge"

Comments

• Usually it is a re-action to dry heated areas or not enough oil in the kitty diet. You could try adding some cod liver oil to his diet. I used the old square wire brushes (only one of the cats actually liked it) which got the dandruff up and then used a moist glove which got the dandruff off. I never used the Furminator - but it sounds like it is more for shedding. You need to get down as close as you can to the skin - not just eliminate the loose top fur strands.

• Furminator is a wonderful brush for heavy shedder pets. If they have an undercoat (the part that falls out and coats your home), using this brush regularly will make a big difference.

• Yeah, he's been absolutely loving his bed by the radiator. He loves to bake himself there, I guess I just never put the 2 together. Any cheap place I can find a big bottle of fish or cod liver oil?

This cat is so spoiled, little hairy bastard :cat:

• If you go into any of the Korean greengrocers they usually have cod liver oil behind the counter. Regular drug stores carry the pills (which you can cut up but its a chore), but rarely have the oil itself.

• I use the Vitamin E capsules from Duane Reade. Stick a pin in the top and squirt on food (or into his mouth as I did for one of my cats - little bugger LOVED the stuff - would come running and try to wrap his paws around my wrist as I was trying to stick the pin in).

Ain't it the truth? They are all spoiled rotten - but the love you get is worth the headaches.

• Just buy tuna or salmon in oil..and feed it to them every evening. Before kitty litter will stink a little more!

• I was told too much fish in a male cats diet causes UTI's.

• My cat was suffering from this and the vet told me it was a side effect of the herpies virus that many cats have. If your cat is also prone to eye discharge that could be a sign. I was told to give my cat a lysine suppliment ( You can buy it in regular pharmacies very cheaply). I use a pill crusher to add a 500mg pill into her wet food every day. Not only does she not have weepy eyes but her fur is thick,fabulous and dandruff free!

• Dandruff is frequently associated with the food the animal eats. I see so many cats with dandruff.. and it almost always goes away with a transition to quality food. Dry food is a culprit.

Fish is not a good idea for cats. Aside from the heavy metal and pollutants in fish, alot of cats are allergic to it; it is also associated with thyroid disease later in life. I do, however, recommend a few drops of salmon oil for omega3 fatty acids.

Hope this helps,

Phyllis

• I would not recommend cod liver oil; it is very high in vitamins a & d, and too much of those vitamins is toxic. I would, however, recommend fish BODY oil (like salmon oil)

Phyllis

Pooch & Kitty

• Salmon oil, we sell it at my mom's. I put it in all the cats food and Ripley's too. Great stuff.

• He's extra dandruffy this week. It is so obvious because he's a black cat. Caseo, how much is a month supply at your mom's store? Is it basically the same as the Omega 3 fatty acid pills you buy at a health food store or is there something special about Salmon oil made for pets?

• Oh, and I bought the Furminator. Works great, but getting the cat to let me use it on him is a comedic endeavor.

• This is straight salmon oil with a little rosemary extract, comes in a pump bottle. An 8oz bottle is about $13, less for you of course, and that'll last you a while with one cat. I'll be there today, Friday, and Saturday. We're having an adoption event Saturday from 12-6 with Brooklyn Bridge Animal Welfare Coalition, come by if you can!

• I actually prefer the salmon oil that you buy at a (human) health food store -- it comes in capsules. The issue with the stuff that's made for animals (in a pump bottle) is that it quickly turns rancid. There's also big differences in quality between different brands. I actually came across this article a few days ago: http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/omega-3-update-more-info-more-choices/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

But I want to stress again that dandruff OFTEN comes from food -- either quality of the food, or possibly an allergy to one or more of the ingredients.

Phyllis

• Not the Grizzly salmon oil, we've been using it for a couple years and never had a problem with it. You can refrigerate it if you're worried about it going bad. Definitely agree the dandruff can come from food though, feeding a high quality food is better for your pet and your wallet in the long run. Mama, tell me you're not feeding him meow mix or something awful like that!

• No meow mix!

I feed him adult cat food, special diet, to manage UTI prone male kittahs.

I think it's only a winter problem. The building is super heated, so my skin and nose is suffering too. The humidity is very low (next winter I'm buying a humidifier.) I'll add some salmon oil for me and him! We could both use it :lol:

• There's also a liquid product called Allerpet that you can squirt onto a washcloth and wipe the cat down with. Don't worry - it's not a soaking, and hilarity will likely not ensue. We had two cats with a similar problem and that did help. Not sure where you're located, but we always got ours at VC Pet on 9th St between 4th and 5th.

This discussion has been closed.