South Brooklyn Youth Gangs: 1950-1965 - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

South Brooklyn Youth Gangs: 1950-1965

Hello: I'm writing a non-fiction book about the youth gangs that existed in the South Brooklyn area, focusing on the 1950s and early 1960s. Were you, or someone you know, a member of the Jokers, South Brooklyn Boys, the Butler Gents, the Gowanus Stompers, Red Hook Tigers, Kane Street Midgets or any of the other numerous local teen gangs? Or perhaps you grew up in the area and have some stories/information to share? Above all else, I'm simply looking to depict that era in South Brooklyn as it truly was, and what it was like to be a young person from the neighborhood in those days. I'm currently a resident of the area, but I know full well how much the neighborhood has changed. I'd like to document this part of its unique history.

This is very much a real book, and not a self-published vanity project. I would gratefully acknowledge within the pages of the published edition anyone who has a story to share, or even just some details that need filling in. I'm available at southbrooklyntales@yahoo.com, and would of course be happy to communicate via phone or in person if you'd like. Regardless, thank you for your time.

Warmest regards,
Richard

Comments

• Richard, I have looked at your "Title" regarding South Brooklyn Youth Gangs but have not responded because my memories of the "Gangs" go back into the 40's. The older brothers of the gang boys were fighting WWII and the younger boys started up the gangs. Two you did not mention were the "Garfield Boys" and the "Smitty boys". I went to Manual training H.S. 47-51. There were members of both these gangs in Manual. I had no trouble with them and probably knew a few from each. It was a good time to mind your own business and you could, for the most part, stay out of trouble. I am sure there were some innocents who suffered collateral damage but mostly these gangs were beating the hell out of each other and not bothering other guys. Sorry, I know no names or places they met but we all knew they were around. Sorry I can't be of more assistance but that is about it. :roll:

• Thanks, Old Goat. I appreciate any bits and pieces, however small, that anyone is willing to share. And you raise an excellent point about WWII--important context. Best, Richard

• Hey there - have you checked out this group -

http://www.southbrooklyn.net/guestbook2/

might be able to get some from there.

Unfortunately most of the gangs when I were growing up turned to the MC lifestyle. There is still the FMD clubhouse in Red Hook and they have a bunch of old timers there. The other one is over on I think 10th Street and 3rd Ave but I forget which clubhouse that is. Good luck and let us know when you get published.

• You might want to post a note in the Park Slope Food Coop news paper. We have a few native Slopers who are over sixty. My guess is if they weren't part of the gangs they'd have some stories. http://foodcoop.com/go.php?id=2

• Great ideas and thoughts all, thanks.

• FROM 17TH AND PARK SLOPE/18TH FELIXES AND JOKERS

I REMEMBER IT ALL IN THE 50S EVERY STORE EVERY FRIEND EVERY MOVIE THEATER, , BLACKY, BILLY MUDGE, THE DELVECCHIOS. MOON , ROBERT CURCIO,CANNONBALL, JIMMY DUGAN, FROM 22ND CAGGIANO,POOPSIE KIBBLER, JOEY MAYO, ARCHIE ARCHIGRASSO,BUTCHIE UMBRIA,FRANKIE SALATTA ROBERT RUGGERRIO VINNY SCADERO WITH ALL RESPECTS GEORGIE AWALL ART MARR ABLESON 18TH STREET,JOHN ,TONY ANTHONY CAMMILLE MARRELLI, STEVEN PRICE,JACKIE SIMMS , BILLY MUFFIN 6 FT 6 ON PROSPECT LOL THE CAMBRIAS, THE MELPHY FAMILY PAULY MCPOLAND AND EVANGELA ON 20TH ROSE VITALIE,JOHN PANZA FATHER OWENED 3 STARR ZIPPO 22ND VIOLA 22ND AND SALLY EARS KNEW MY SISTER LINDA BRUNO FRANKIE NAPOLI, THE MINIFO FAMILY, IF YOU REMEMBER IT WOULD BE GREAT REMENISSING HEY IM BLACKY BRUNO FROM 17 STREET PS 10, ,MANUEL TRAINING YEAH I REMEMBER ALL THE STORES BUT WHAT ABOUT A NIGHT WITH THE JOKERS NICKNACK,MUDGE,MOON,BOBBY DALELE, BOBBY CUCIO AND SO MANY MORE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO REMEMBERS THE BEATINGS WE TOOK FROM THE COPS THE GANG FIGHTS PS146 RICCARDI BROS WITH SANDWICH SHOP FATHER IN FRUIT BUSINESS 20TH AND 5TH, PETER CACCIONE 6TH AND 18TH STREET DELI, LENNY POLICCANNI HAD BROTHER JR., ALFRED,LENNY MINIFOS RICHIE WALSH, NOW 20TH ST.---DUVAS--PAUL HANSON--THIS WAS THE BEST TIME OF OUR LIVES DOES ANYONE REMEBER MANUEL TRAININGJOE PEPERTONE GOT SHOT I WAS 3 FEET AWAY,, THEN THE 72ND PRECINCT TOOK US AWAY FOR NOT RATTING. 5 HRS LATER GEORGE DIGGER ODELLE RED HOOK BOY MADE IT THAT WE COULD LEAVE AFTER WE GOT BEAT UP. THE OLD DTORY HR DIDNT KNOW THE GUN WAS LOADED. BELIEVE IT OR NOT HE BECAME A MAILMAN LOL hey archie occhiograsso you miss me / we did have fun cant deny. how have you been were are you. i live in staten island and flrida my mom and sis HEY IM BLACKY BRUNO FROM 17 STREET PS 10, ,MANUEL TRAINING YEAH I REMElive in florida. i worked in ny transit with john marielli and thank god im retired write me at nyjd12@aol.com hope all is well. blacky of the jokers and a pain in the neck pupsy kibbler lived on 21st and hung out in roccos candy store right across the street from the funeral parlor brother buster brother johnny passed away DO YOU REMEBER RONALD COOPER. HE LIVED ACROSS FROM FELIXES. HE PLAYED A SAXAPHONE AND ENDED UP IN DIZZY GULLESSPPI BAND..TOMMY ROSE BECAME A SINGER AND THEN DIED. IN MANUEL REMEMBER MR. RICCIO WHEN THE SCHOOL WENT ON STRICK, MR RICCIO THROW MY FRIEND BILLY SQUIRE OFF A CAR.AT MANUEL ANYBODY HAVE THESE TEACHERS MR STEPHANO, MR MACDEMARRA MR VISCO MRS WOLF MR DINNERMAN, MR SESAL THE DEAN AND WE THROGH FIRECRACKERS AT MR CORY SHELLSHOCK CORY THAT IS!!! REMEBER MUPHY THE COP CASE ALL THE ITALIANS AND CALL US GINNY BASTARDS OUTSIDE OF MANUEL. REMEBER WE WENT UP ON THE SCHOOL ROOF AND BOMB HIM WITH WATER BALLONS. AND THE UNMENTIONALBLE GUYS AS I GOT OLDER AND BECME FULL GROWN NUT FROM THE JOKERS I BECAME FRIEND WITH SOUTH BROOKLYN BOYS, REEDHOOK ,40TH STREET, SOME PEOPLE DID VERY WELL AND BECAME CITY WORKSER SOME POLITIC AND SOME OF THE UNMENTIONABLES WERE WISEGUY. BUT ALL AND ALL I KEEP REMEBERING THINGS I WILL POST

BLACKY BRUNO

• did i ruin your book

• hi anthony umbria

is this for real

heard about what happened to you. in our day it would have never happened

blacky

This discussion has been closed.