Associated Fire — Brooklynian

Associated Fire

Anyone know what happened? Heard the flames were big, smoke thick blocks away...

Comments

• It started over an hour ago. We had engines from Brooklyn Heights going at it.

• Word on the street is that it's now spread to the next building (1:15pm or so).

• Really bad fire. I was on 20th And 6th Ave and the smoke was so bad. Back down on 5th it was even worse. The Associated Market on 17th St. and 5th Ave. The entire building is ablaze.

Back home now and their still smoke heading south.

• Yeah, it's pretty bad. I live a block away and walked by right before the first fire trucks arrived. Flames were shooting out of the Associated Supermarket above the sidewalk.

Looks like they're still working on it even now, so it's been going on for about 3 hours. There is probably about 20 vehicles out here from the fire & police depts., ambulance, etc.

• Still going pretty strong. Just passed by when I was picking my son up from school. I heard the boiler went up. No one was hurt though.

• Yeah, I could see all the helicopters hovering over there from my apartment at sunset. Glad no one was hurt.

Tomorrow's meat special: smoked everything with charred greens. (just kidding! I know too soon, too soon..)

• you could see the smoke all the way over in SI and the smell was all the way over on the far side of greenwood cemetary

• Still on fire. I tried to post about this around 12:30 but couldn't get the site to work!

• im hearing the buildings on either side of this store were also heavilly damaged by fire and smoke... I really wonder what started this...

• One thing that was interesting, in between the salon and the food market there was a doorway that lead to a back storage area. Most mornings when I went to get coffee I would walk by there and there would always be a panel truck unloading and loading boxes. It looked like the stuff you would find at most 99 cent stores. Boxes of detergent, hair products, cleaners etc. When the door was open you saw row after row of these boxes stacked back all the way towards the rear of the building.

I am sure when the fire reached that point in the building, it just roared through there using the chemicals as an accelerant.

• Wow, basically all the businesses on that block are gone - Mambo Lounge, the salon, and Associated. Open Source Gallery around the corner on 17th also took a lot of damage and possibly even some minor damage to the next apartment building down. All the apartments above all the businesses also look completely destroyed.

If anyone hears about anyone collecting donations for the residents up there - I'd love to know about it. I live down the street, above a business, could easily have been me and I have no idea what I'd do... "There but for the grace of god" and all that...

• The word on the street is that the fire started due to a problem when the boiler in the basement of the Associated was being serviced. Again, this is not form an official news source (they are still reporting the cause as undetermined), but we heard this from multiple sources along that block as we were checking it out.

In terms of donations for the displaced residents, I started a separate thread last night on this board and am still trying to figure out if a local church may be collecting clothes, etc. As soon as I know, I'll update that thread.

• Via CCGH thread:

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=266454&position=1&news_type=news

Wow, 9 hours to fight it and it was still smoldering this morning!

Glad no one was hurt. Anyone else have any inside dope?

• lostingreenwoodhts wrote:

Anyone else have any inside dope?

If they did it's definitely gone at this point.

• does anyone know if there's a place to donate clothes to the families who lost everything? I have a huge bag i've been meaning to take to the salvation army and i'd rather give it here. anything?

• Brownstoner covered the ensuing demo of the building that started up. Darn shame.

• Random question - and I ask this with nothing but sympathy for all the people who lost so much in the fire. But - there was a black cat that lived in one of the buildings there. Outdoor-type, very friendly, would walk up to my dog and rub its face against her face. Does anyone know if the cat was found by its people and made it ok? Loved that kitty.

• I think you are talking about "Batman" who belonged to the owners of Open Source. They lived in the now damaged "garden" level apartment of the brownstone just east of the gallery. I'm not sure what happened to Batman with regards to the fire - i have not asked :( I really hope he is ok.

• I think you are talking about "Batman" who belonged to the owners of Open Source. They lived in the now damaged "garden" level apartment of the brownstone just east of the gallery. I'm not sure what happened to Batman with regards to the fire - i have not asked :( I really hope he is ok.

• Ah yes, definitely is Batman. I went to the "Associated" show in the space and saw his picture there.

This discussion has been closed.