the Earth is full — Brooklynian

the Earth is full

I rarely contribute to this topic but every now and then, I read something so compelling of a political nature, I can't resist sharing. As noted in a piece I heard last night on WBAI about the greening of WalMart, the environment is the most compelling story of our generation. Why do so few comment on it in this forum?

If you want to do something about the woeful condition of our planet, stop by the Imani Garden next Sunday around 4 PM. We're growing vegetables, harvesting water and raising chickens. Hey, it beats staring at the boob tube! Imani is at 87 Schenectady between Dean and Pacific.

Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/opinion/08friedman.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Comments

• If people in the west really wants to do something, get rid of the cars, tv and computers and especially wasting food.

but i doubt the west could ever bring down their level of per capita consumption they are asking the rest of the world to do.

• The best thing one can do for the environment is not create a child.

Especially an American child; they will consume far more resources than a person in the rest of the world.

...that said, life is a process of making decisions in which you weigh your gain vs others people's pain, and I do not begrudge anyone who has a kid. Many of them are quite cute.

While we become smarter about how we use the earth's resources (and that will certainly slow the degradation down)I have yet to hear anything I view as a solution.

Malthus will be right eventually.

• A solution is mentioned in the Friedman piece: change our accounting system. The tiny kingdom of Bhutan nestled discreetly in the Himalayas has decreed that it will no longer use the outdated GNP, gross (and boy is it gross!) national product, as its measure of progress. Instead Bhutan is using GNH, gross national happiness.

Once we quit obsessing over job creation and start measuring job satisfaction, stop worrying about expanding the economy and start thinking about how happy we are, then all of this silly mindless consumption will go away.

I have a roommate from France who hasn't worked for more than a couple of days back to back in years. She's also one of the happiest people I know. She does what she likes, when she likes to do it and has plenty of time to help friends and family. Isn't that what it's all about?

For more on GNH, check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_national_happiness

• if you can afford the kid go ahead, but if you can't even afford yourself and if you have kids, may the pox straight your ass.

by clarifying if you are on welfare for generations and can't afford yourself and kids, you shouldn't have kids, those who go on the dole temporarily are fine.

• Why the hell are people so down on children? We all were born from someone! I find it rather sexist. Women carry the children and they bear the brunt of the responsibility for said child. I have friends who were stable and had children and life took a turn for them. Some had to get on public assistance until they got back on their feet. These are good people who hit a bad patch - would you wish a pox on them too? What about all those men who leave these women once they are pregnant? Why aren't we going after them? Why not mandatory sterilization for men who have multiple children without taking care of them?

@Captain Planet - while your friend who has not worked often is happy - what type of life does she lead? Can she afford to live on her own or is she hopping from one place to the next? Does she have insurance in case she gets sick or will she apply for Medicaid that working people paying taxes pay for? I do believe that you have to enjoy what you do. I don't believe that to be successful you have to have thousands of dollars, a fancy car or even a drop dead gorgeous home but I do believe that there needs to be some type of stability to one's life. I happen to love my job but even if I didn't, and when I have a bad day - going to my home, to the people I love changes my attitude immediately.

ETA - as for the environment - if they made more environmentally friendly products and organic food that were within my budget I would only buy those products.

• My French friend is incredibly frugal. For example, she's a fregan who gleans food from fancy green grocers who through out tons of organic produce every day. She barters work for rent, gets her clothes from Salvation Army, treats her illnesses with herbal medicines she researches on the internet. It's all doable if you are determined and intentonal in your life choices. Thankfully more and more young folks are dropping out of the mainstream ratrace, working for room and board at organic farms, living in shares in the city and refusing to live by mainstream values.

Just refuse to play the game. Period. No compromises.

• My nose is part of the environment, and it is sometimes in need of protection.

Now that it is summer, can you please tell her and her nature friends that natural deodorants do not work.

Also, please let her know that I would buy more expensive organic vegetables from her farm at the farmers markets if they power washed the dirt off them, like Dole does.

• I'll let you starving folks in Africa know of your concerns. I'm sure they'll feel your pain.

• maybe some leaders in africa should use china's one child policy as a example.

few kids to feed, more resources for that 1 child.

• Capt-

Are you going to argue that people are starving in Africa due to people wearing effective deodorants?

...cause that is going to be worth reading.

There's no way we can feed all 8 billion of us while using organic methods.

Unless we figure out some other way, Malthus will be right.

[I wish the environmentalists would set a date for the world to end, like the silly rapture guy did]

• Maybe not a coincidence that your friend is French. Apparently there is a long tradition of scavenging in France. I refer to of the documentary film “The Gleaners and I” by the great and wonderful Agnès Varda. The film examines the practice of gleaning in a sympathetic light, looking at it from a number of angles. (Orignal title is Les glaneurs et la glaneuse.)

Varda ranges from the centuries-old legal foundation of it being anyone’s right to enter privately-owned fields after their owner has finished harvesting, in order that the leftovers might be taken by those who could use them, right up to contemporary practices, such as those who pick up after outdoor food markets, etc. Some of her subjects do it for philosophical reasons rather than poverty of means. It is a film that makes one examine one’s preconceptions about such practices.

This clip is the beginning of it

This discussion has been closed.