Super Jewish Senate seat would merge parts of 6 districts into one - Brooklynian

Super Jewish Senate seat would merge parts of 6 districts into one

The creation of a so-called "Super Jewish" state Senate seat would merge portions of six senate districts into one.

In a press conference tomorrow, Councilman David G. Greenfield (D-Brooklyn) and community leaders plan to denounce the "Super Jewish" plan because it will dilute the power of Borough Park and Midwood residents in Albany and "is the result of backroom politics at its very worst."

Greenfield wants the Governor to veto any redistricting lines that include a so-called "Super-Jewish" district.

WHAT: press conference tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6 at 1 p.m. outside his Borough Park district office at 16th Avenue and 45th Street

WHO: Councilman David G. Greenfield and local community leaders.

WHAT: Press conference opposing the creation of so-called "Super Jewish" state Senate district.WHERE: Southwest corner of 16th Avenue and 45th Street in Borough Park, Brooklyn.WHEN: Tuesday, March 6 at 1 p.m.

Comments

• Jumaane Williams feels communities of color fare the worst.

The proposed #redistricting maps for #NewYork's #Congress districts are #disgraceful. Communities of more color are the biggest victims

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/JumaaneWilliams

• That's the first time I have heard the expression "communities of more color." I may have to google what it means.

• Please let us know what you find.

Meanwhile, I will smile at human nature and the belief that redistricting could ever be perceived as fair by everyone involved.

Um, it isn't supposed to be fair. It's a power grab.

Why is this hard to understand?

• Over 30 years ago I worked for the Democratic Club in East Flatbush. We had one of the strongest and most powerful clubs in the city with Speaker of the Assembly, Brooklyn Councilman at Large (a post no longer in existence) and many judges and local politicians coming out of there. There was a redistricting not for power, but to give the minorities more of a say. It was a good thing but our Assemblyman was re-apportioned right out of his district. So, back then it wasn't a power grab because not long after that happened the whole club folded up. But today, it maybe somewhat different.

• Lots of opinions on whether it is different and what the "true motivations are", will be discussed at this upcoming forum:

Please join me on Tuesday, March 13th at 6:30PM for a forum discussion on redistricting currently underway in New York. As you know, we are in the middle of redistricting process, where once every decade, New York State is carved into electoral districts through a seemingly remote process that directly impacts where we vote and who represents us.The Forum will explore the following ideas and questions;

• The role of the Legislature and the Governor under our current redistricting scheme• The current federal lawsuit: the advantages and the limitations of the court• What a good constitutional amendment reforming our redistricting process should look like.Speakers include:

Susan Lerner, Executive Director of Common Cause/NY

Doug Muzzio, Professor at Baruch/CUNY School of Public Affairs

Morgan Pehme, Executive Director of New York Civic

This forum is co-sponsored by the Common Cause/NY, New York Civic, and Baruch College and is free and open to the public. Please join me on Tuesday, March 13th at 6:30PM at Baruch Performing Arts Center, Engelman Recital Hall (55 Lexington Ave , New York, NY 10010).
  • More from Greenfield:

“Let's be clear, this is not a Super Jewish district but rather a Super Ghetto district that if allowed to remain in place will cause the Jewish community to lose multiple voices in Albany. That will mean less services, less funding and less political power for America's largest Jewish community right here in Brooklyn. Right now we have six senators representing the Jewish community, and to go to one simply makes no sense. We need at least two, if not three, senators to maximize the community's political power. That's why I urge the Governor to recognize this proposal for what it is – backroom politics at its worst – and to veto it,” said Greenfield.
  • More from Jeffriesa and WSJ:

Jeffries Could Lose Out in Judge’s District Map

By Andrew Grossman

Brooklyn Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries could be one of the biggest losers if the New York congressional map put forward by a judge Tuesday becomes law.

The map proposed by Magistrate Judge Roanne Mann would cut him out of the congressional district he hoped to win in a Democratic primary. Jeffries has already launched a primary challenge to Rep. Edolphus Towns, who represents the district that now runs from Williamsburg to East New York before snaking into Midwood.The assemblyman’s fundraising has been strong, and he has received a number of high-profile endorsements from labor unions. But the judge’s map would cut Jeffries’s Prospect Heights home out of the district, which would largely move west and eliminate areas that were thought to be friendlier to Jeffries. Even if he moved to a new home, the proposed district would make it harder for him to mount a strong challenge.Jeffries sent a letter to Judge Mann Wednesday urging her to reconsider. He said he objects to splitting Fort Greene, Clinton Hill and parts of Prospect Heights from Bedford-Stuyvesant, citing the neighborhoods’ close ties.“This ‘community of interest’ is closely connected to the predominantly African-American community of Bedford-Stuyvesant that is immediately adjacent to the east,” Jeffries wrote. “These three neighborhoods are all linked by the same commercial corridor along Fulton Street and the same mass transportation along the A, C and G lines.”Jeffries also wrote that he doesn’t understand why the new map for Towns’s district includes largely white, Republican-leaning neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn and Queens, like Gerritsen Beach and Howard Beach. “This mismatched marriage does not appear to serve the best interests of any of the residents involved,” he wrote.Jeffries’s loss could be a gain for a third candidate in the race, City Councilman Charles Barron from Brownsville. He told Politicker on Tuesday that the magistrate’s lines are encouraging.“Where they are drawn now I think I have a real good shot at winning,” Barron said. “My whole [council] district is in the [congressional] district and it goes further into Coney Island … it has more blacks and Latinos than any other congressional district.”
This discussion has been closed.