NYC again releases its list of worst landlords - Brooklynian

NYC again releases its list of worst landlords

Comments

• I used to be the insurance broker for one of the buildings on this list but there was a big fire last year and the building is in foreclosure anyway, so I doubt that the person should be on the list. But I guess they're still the registered owner.

• Yes, when one thinks about it, my title is bad.

The lists simply states buildings with the most DOB violations.

Clearly, one could be a worst landlord by doing things that don't involve the DOB.

...discrimination, sexual harassment, evicting people without going through the court system, etc come to mind.

• In addition, they're just tallying up the most violations. So, a three family house with 100 violations is much worse than a 50 family building with the same 100 violations, at least IMHO.

• you do home insurance pramaticguy? :p

• I have a client who lives in one of those buildings. What always irks me is that, many of these places with huge lists of violations have tenants who receive section 8 or other services that virtually gaurantee that the rent will be paid, since it's paid by the State. I know it's not much, and the state is sometimes late but wow, the way some of those places look, you wonder what do they do with that rent money.

• The Psycho-ologist said:

I have a client who lives in one of those buildings. What always irks me is that, many of these places with huge lists of violations have tenants who receive section 8 or other services that virtually gaurantee that the rent will be paid, since it's paid by the State. I know it's not much, and the state is sometimes late but wow, the way some of those places look, you wonder what do they do with that rent money.

Such problems often arise when the person/entity receiving a given service (housing, health care, etc) is different that the person/entity PAYING for said service. Audits by government "after the fact" are relatively weak compared to a customer who simply doesn't continue to patronize a business that they feel sucks.

...if you look at the map, most of the buildings tend to be in areas where the renters are not exactly, um, "in the top social strati".

i.e. they be poor

• also as someone still have some violations on the books, even though it been fixed on ground. I don't want to pay the government again to come out and take a look at the violation that was fixed.

It's kinda ridiculous that I have to pay them to do a check.

After I brought the place had fix it up and pay them to come and take off the violations. some how the dude forgot about one of the apt. even though he saw the whole place!! on paper he forgot bastard!!!

The whole place was a shell and a crack house. so it had a ton of violations. anyway lazy paper pusher!!!

This discussion has been closed.