Coop Homeowner's Insurance Recs (with an aggressive breed dog at home)? - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coop Homeowner's Insurance Recs (with an aggressive breed dog at home)?

I need to find homeowner's insurance for my apartment. I have 1 rec through Chubb but it is about 2.5xs higher than what I know friends pay for similar coverage (no dog though).

My dog has no bite history (and if you met her, would quickly see she's more likely to get bitten by a child than bite one). I have done a bunch of online searches and know that getting homeowner's insurance with one of the "bad dogs" is difficult. I have read that State Farm and All State have stopped using dog breeds as a basis for determining insurability and rely on dog bite history instead. However, I can't get either one of the agents I contacted from those companies to answer my queries. I can either stick with the one quote I have or perhaps try to see if I can get a regular policy excluding my dog and get a separate liability policy for my dog but I would prefer to just have it all inclusive.

Anyone out there have any recommendations or leads I could follow up on?

Comments

• I'm an insurance broker, it's not hard to get a policy since most of them exclude animals anyhow. I don't know what your quote says so I can't tell if you're paying too much. In addition, if you're really worried about the dog biting issue I can get you a separate policy that covers dog bites but it's not cheap. $800/yr. Of course that's cheaper than having to hire a lawyer on your own.

• Another approach is to get the AKC's Canine Good citizen (CGC) sertificate. Ther is some training involved & a simple test of 10 items like sitting while you stop & shake hands with someone, allowing the examner to touch the dog's head & forepaws, etc. (The details are on the AKC website.) There are numerous tests given in the NYC area during anay given year. The test fee is about $15 but in many cases, like at the Staten Island Compnaion dog Training Club, the test & fee is included in the Beginner 2 program. This certificate with its specfic standards is often helpful for those owning dogs of breeds that get a lot of bad press.

This discussion has been closed.