Boycott Walgreens signs - Brooklynian

Comments

• If I understand the situation correctly, this makes little sense to me.

It's Key Food's fault for leaving, resulting in no supermarket in the neighborhood.

Sure, it would be great if another supermarket company stepped up to buy the location, but none did.

So people are punishing the store that did?

Or has Walgreens not actually bought it yet? Is there any other buyer interested?

• Please watch this video from 2:18 on

Key Food wanted to stay there. But the property owner (who now lives in Florida) decided to sell the space. Other Key Foods made offers, and so did other supermarkets, but Walgreens made the highest bid (you have to understand that Key Foods are individually owned, but Walgreens is a corporate chain).

This neighborhood has a very unique geographic location of being between Prospect Park and Greenwood Cemetery. There are limited directions residents can walk in, and this was the only Supermarket. Where are the elderly people without cars supposed to go? This neighborhood already has two popular local pharmacies.

People asked Walgreens to carry food, but Walgreens said no.

Then people proposed creative ideas to Walgreens… One idea was to build a second floor to the building and rent the space to a supermarket (and the cost of rent would benefit Walgreens). A similar idea was to for a building in the current space of the parking lot which could be rented to a supermarket… Walgreens said No to everything.

Considering the number of supermarkets that wanted to open in this space, most Windsor Terrace residents are confident that if a boycott can successfully put this Walgreens branch out of business, then surely another Supermarket will take the space.

Also, I’d like to mention there is now a Facebook page you can Like

https://www.facebook.com/GreenBeansNotWalgreens

• Why blame Walgreens? The obvious problem here is with the Owner of the property. If there is a problem at all. $$ talks, it's sad but true. Seems like a lot of energy misdirected.

• (EDIT: Replying to OP)

A-ha, got it.

I understand that an owner has a right to sell property to whomever they want -- which is never other than the highest bidder, in reality -- but that sucks.

If that's the case than I get it.

Owners have a right to sell to whomever they want, and customers obviously have a right to take their business where they want.

Hope it works out.

• god damn idiots. capitalism folks!!!

Makes no sense for boycotting the new owners, they have nothing to do with the previous owners wanting the most for his property. If they want they could fly down to FL and boycott the former owner.

• Yep. No one owes anyone anything here. Reasonable for seller, buyer and area customers to pursue their own interests. Sometimes pressure helps those interests reach some kind of compromise, but that's a long road and hard to maintain.

Again, hope it works out.

• I would agree that the property owner deserves much of the blame.

But why blame Walgreens? I’ll just paste something which I already posted:

“People asked Walgreens to carry food, but Walgreens said no.

Then people proposed creative ideas to Walgreens… One idea was to build a second floor to the building and rent the space to a supermarket (and the cost of rent would benefit Walgreens). A similar idea was for a building in the current space of the parking lot which could be rented to a supermarket… Walgreens said No to everything.”

And why boycott this Walgreens branch? I’d say in a collective effort to put this branch out of business, and allow a supermarket back to that space, which will better serve the community.

• If I were Walgreens, I would be glad there is no supermarket nearby, because most supermarkets under cut the prices of drug stores. So, it doesn't surprise me that they would not want to construct a 2 story building.

Walgreens will be the only store around.... Bad for people who dont have a car, but (unless your protest becomes much larger) Good business move for Walgreens.

• does it make sense for a company that specializes in drugs, to build a second story for something else they have no clues on? walgreens is good at selling drugs not in the business of building or renting out as landlords.

Would you accept some strangers coming to tell you how to do your business or in fact demand you add a extra story or rent out your home to them etc...

this is absurd beyond nutty self entitled.

• I am curious about where opponents of the Walgreen's are getting their facts exactly ? How do you know that other Key Foods franchisees / supermarkets wanted to buy the land ?

I ask because it's not what I heard from an employee of Key Foods, but he could have been wrong. Can you cite your source ?

My fear is that Walgreens will cave to the pressure, and the space will either sit empty, or turn into some nasty cell phone store or nail salon.

• Why not approach the City and request a farmers market? It sounds like a shoo-in.

• You can also download a free Boycott Walgreens sign from this page

http://www.greenbeansnotwalgreens.org/take-action.html

look at the bottom of the right-side column

This discussion has been closed.