Are movie shoots in this area becoming excessive? — Brooklynian

Are movie shoots in this area becoming excessive?

edited 12:00AM in Park Slope

Does anyone else agree that movie shoots in the area are becoming too frequent? They’re a major inconvenience for parking, driving, etc. And as far as I see, these shoots serve zero benefits for local residents and businesses.

Comments

• I don't have a car so they do not inconvenience me. The shoots create jobs for NY and I expect some of the local restaurants and stores might get a boost from the crews dropping in and the catering for the staff. I imagine they must have to pay permit fees as well which brings in revenue for the city.

• As a whole they may not benefit the local PS economy though I'm sure they do but they certainly benefit NYC's economy as the payroll taxes and incidentals bring in millions.

• It's the price you pay for living in a hip/known area.

• It is a snowball effect in that it also causes the area to remain hip and known.

• I enjoy the disruption.

• Try living in Lower Manhattan. When I lived there it seemed like every week they filmed something within a six block radius around me.

I think people would be more tolerant of film shoots if the PA's weren't such assholes. Yes you're filming an expensive TV show or movie here. But guess what? We live here and your disrupting our lives without a word of apology. I don't own a car but sometimes they will only let you walk down your block in between shots. Or not let you out your door or into the ATM or force you to walk out of your way. Really they need to do a better job of minimizing disruptions of local life.

I know they employ a lot of people and pay fees but I doubt much of their budget trickles down to the local level. I also know that they hire crews from LA to NYC and everywhere inbetween. So they might not be creating as many jobs as claimed.

• Mamacita said:

It's the price you pay for living in a hip/known area.

Exactly, I could move back to the boring place where I grew up and always park in front of my house and never be bothered by a movie shoot.

I also know more than a few people that make a living because of all the movies being filmed in NYC. I even made a few bucks yesterday in Prospect Park when they were filming a yet to be released TV show.

• i would permanently forgive all of the inconvenience if just once, just one time, someone would say "hey want to grab a bite from our huge food tent?"

seriously, the food's right there...

• exactly!

at my old place there was a constant stream of craft service tents in front of our door; i felt i deserved coffee for having to park in france

• slopestar said:

i would permanently forgive all of the inconvenience if just once, just one time, someone would say "hey want to grab a bite from our huge food tent?"

seriously, the food's right there...

I‘ve felt similar at times.

About a year ago I walked down the street when they were shooting a movie called Delivery Man, and I saw that on the other end of the block they were taping an interview with an actress (I’d assume something for a DVD extra Feature). I stopped to watch this interview from about 30 feet away, and immediately three crew members came up to me looking disgusted, and told me “keep walking!”

My point is that maybe if these crew members were not so obnoxious to local residents, I might not mind the frequent shooting as much.

• Garth said:

I saw that on the other end of the block they were taping an interview with an actress (I’d assume something for a DVD extra Feature).

And the next day or so I looked up the movie Delivery Man on the Internet Movie Database, and I could recognize that this actress was named Cobie Smulders - who I just found again on the IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1130627/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I just thought I’d mention that incase you’re wondering who the actress was / how famous she was.

• Oh, I would have been star struck if I had seen her, she's great in How I Met Your Mother (the dark haired one):

• For a little while they were filming some 70's style cop drama near my house. I don't find it any harder on parking then say when a private party is going on at the bar on the corner or some event at the school across the street. Maybe it was this group but they seemed pretty cool. At one point I had to stop and couldn't keep walking so I told them in a friendly way "if you are going to hold me up for dinner at least offer me a snack". Next thing you know I had a little plate with a donut and some grapes on it. From that point on it became a little joke where I would walk by and ask for my evening snack and they would offer me what was left. Now they recognized my face and would even offer me a parking spot before they plugged in all those mobile trailers.

The stars of that show would even frequent the local bars and restaurants and were very friendly to the locals there. One of the actors was Michael Imperioli and he was just a sweetie.

• They benefit me because once I walked past Richard Harrow from Boardwalk empire in full costume on 8th avenue once and it was one of the coolest moments of my life!

This discussion has been closed.