intermittent site availability - Brooklynian

intermittent site availability

Some of you may have noticed that Brooklynian has had some down time over the past few days.

You are correct.

...I've heard the provider that rents space to the website is working on it.

Fear not, you will continue to be able to waste time here.

Comments

• edited December 2013

Whew, I didn't have any idea where I could turn to get my fill of lost pet posts.

• edited December 2013

I'm looking forward to the next update on the Poop thread.

• edited December 2013

It's a crappy subject...no better place to post it than on here.

• Number #1 in the #2 business.

• Aug 16th:

Same issues, but different month.

• The problem seems to keep happening.

AdmiN has told me the problem may have something to do with our webhost, or the software we are running

or something

• It seems to be getting worse though. Site went down Saturday afternoon or early evening and stayed down until Sunday morning. It's been off and on all day today.

• When I am next accused of controlling the world via Brooklynian, I plan to point out that the world continues in Brooklynian's absence.

I haven't been able to say that since approximately 2006.

• arning: require_once() [function.require-once]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-settings.php on line 186

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-settings.php on line 186

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.wp-object-cache.php on line 108

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/functions.wp-object-cache.php on line 108

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/pomo/mo.php on line 171

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/pomo/mo.php on line 171

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/functions.bb-l10n.php on line 484

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/functions.bb-l10n.php on line 484

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 581

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/brooklyn/public_html/forum/bb-includes/backpress/class.wp-taxonomy.php on line 581

Woah! That's a lot of error messages there!

• The ship is listing.

• The ship is again upright

• Huzzah! Set full sail for the internet!

• Needless to say, our fine cruise ship seems to have hit a reef today.

....the webhost is reportedly apologetic.

When we fix it, we will take on the mighty Facebook!

• MODMOD
    edited December 2013

Hope you guys actually did some real work in the office today ;-)

• I think we should be back up now ... fingers crossed.

• It does appear to be working, but the search function seems to have died.

• Nov 20

Lately, I have been getting messages that state: "Slow Script, do you wish to abort script?".

Because I believe in my right to choose, I often click yes.

However, it seems sometimes that the page is slow because it is trying to download a massive file onto my computer.

Is anyone else finding that Brooklynian is trying to give them things they had no part in creating?

• whynot_31 said:

Nov 20

Lately, I have been getting messages that state: "Slow Script, do you wish to abort script?".

Because I believe in my right to choose, I often click yes.

However, it seems sometimes that the page is slow because it is trying to download a massive file onto my computer.

Is anyone else finding that Brooklynian is trying to give them things they had no part in creating?

I'm assuming you didn't download it right?

• I am not asked whether I want to download anything, I just get the Slow Script warning.

Some type of massive file.

• No, nothing like that happening here. However, there is a JavaScript issue I've noticed (I'm guessing related to the ads on the right hand side) that makes brooklynian slow for me because it forces my browser to keep reloading the damn page.

Of course, I hate to update software on my laptop, so it could just be my issue with my old software versions. I get around it by turning of Javascript in settings. Gets rid of the ads too. Try turning off Java and see if your slow script error disappears, if so then maybe we are both seeing the same problem?

• Hmm, I haven't noticed this but then again I use an adblocker since flash video ads can and do crash Chrome. Updating Javascript could help. If that doesn't work try disabling java as mamacita suggested. Also run a malware and virus scan for the laughs.

• I am virus free.

I will kill java and see if that fixes the problem.

• I have this issue when I am at work on a PC. The page freezes and I get the script message. This started after the site was having issues like a month ago. I do not have the issue at home on my mac.

• I am told the problem has been figured out, but that it is really hard and time consuming to fix.

Brooklynian is basically the Mayflower, operating in crowded, shipping lanes.

• I am told there are two problems:

1. The cloudflare java problem, which can be defeated by using an updated version of JavaScript.

2. The unresponsive server problem, which is caused by Brooklynian being the eqivalent of the Mayflower in modern shipping lanes.

The best minds that work for free are on the job! We shall not be defeated by the evolution of the Internet!

• Note: profile pages are currently down for maintenance, so if you're trying to change your password or otherwise change your profile, PM me. Thanks!

• In addition to getting our butts kicked by Facebook, we are also getting our butts kicked by new restaurants.

How the hell are we supposed to retain readers and posters when there will soon be seven (7!) places to eat Mexican food in Western Crown Heights?

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/vincentes-mexican-hookah-coming-to-676-franklin-next-to-indian-restaurant

It's a conspiracy.

• Off topic. For clarity's sake lets keep this to site availability issues. :D

• I was confusing "people's availability to this site" and "this site's availability to them".

I promise, it won't happen again.