Karma? Did I miss something? - Page 2 — Brooklynian

Karma? Did I miss something?

2»

Comments

• Rose wrote: Also, Dave, if you are going to use the word "douche," I want you to spell it correctly, but I would really prefer if you would pick a word without misogynistic overtones. (I'm just bringing this up because I've noticed you using the word before and it bugged me, so since people are being so, um, honest in this thread . . . )
    Yeah, my spelling has never been that great. I will continue to use to word though, but I mean no disrespect toward you or any women by doing so. :oops: Just a funny word meaning shower, in my opinion. But feel free to smite me (anyone) for using it or voicing any other opinions 'cause that will make the whole world better 8)
  • Two observations:
    1. This thread now has two stars, I started it and am at -1 karma, seems funny.
    2. Flexichick, my personal favorite poster on this site, is -7 as I type this (probably -14 in a sec, or positve 11 the way these things seem to change). But she seemed so nice! :wink:

Personally, I will refrain from dealing out any points, since they're lame. But hey, that's just me.

I think I'd like to be voted off the island now! :P
  • Carnivore wrote: This whole thing is getting way too meta. :roll:
    that's totally not gracious of you at all, C. I think your critique of my meta is misogynistic and oppressive. I'm smiting you. and Mrs. C. and T - the hurricane WAS for pussies.
  • If I score a + 10 Karma, will I be crowned Homecoming King or Captain of the football team?
  • Anonymous wrote: If I score a + 10 Karma, will I be crowned Homecoming King or Captain of the football team?
    Probably both.
  • i like karma cause it makes me feel good
  • I just applauded MeanDood for his brilliant avatar. However...

Speaking as the guy who will make the final decision on whether karma goes or stays, I think the whole karma system is just going to be an ongoing source of strife. I agree that the system seems broken if KosherDave and FlexiChick are coming up negative. Both of them regularly and consistently make meaningful contributions to this board.

I think highlighting "total points from rated posts" would be a much better measure. Those who don't contribute materially to the board will stay at 0, and those who do contribute materially will be rewarded, AND you can see exactly why they are being rewarded, since that system keeps track of which posts got rated. "Karma" is simply a dumb plus-minus tally that people are reading way too much into.

It is fascinating to see these strong reactions, though, which are obviously based on our shared understanding of what "karma" means. In "the west" we tend to think of "karma" as some ultimate system of justice that nobody can escape, no matter how rich, powerful, attractive, or modly they are. This "karma" system gives certain individuals have special rights, and thus they are (sort of) unaccountable to those rules, which flies in the face of our shared folk definition of karma.

We could easily set the system so that moderators don't have "super karma" rights. But that wouldn't eliminate the problem of malicious smiting out of spite; keep in mind that wrongly smiting is itself an act of bad karma. The ability for anyone to smite when it's not deserved again flies in the face of what karma "means" to us.

I know it's going to be tough for Carnivore to give up those 10 karma points. :D
  • dailyheights wrote: I agree that the system seems broken if KosherDave and FlexiChick are coming up negative. Both of them regularly and consistently make meaningful contributions to this board.
    I feel the love :)
  • dailyheights wrote:

I think highlighting "total points from rated posts" would be a much better measure. Those who don't contribute materially to the board will stay at 0, and those who do contribute materially will be rewarded, AND you can see exactly why they are being rewarded, since that system keeps track of which posts got rated. "Karma" is simply a dumb plus-minus tally that people are reading way too much into.
    I Wish I Could Quit You (this thread I mean - I know I promised to not come back to it)!

While I enthusiastically =D> you decision to quit the karma - I simply do not understand why you feel a need to continue with any type of rating system. :?:

It just seems to me to fly in the face of Internet egalitarianism.

Thanks for opening this up to discussion.
  • dailyheights wrote: I just applauded MeanDood for his brilliant avatar. However...

Speaking as the guy who will make the final decision on whether karma goes or stays, I think the whole karma system is just going to be an ongoing source of strife. I agree that the system seems broken if KosherDave and FlexiChick are coming up negative. Both of them regularly and consistently make meaningful contributions to this board.

It is fascinating to see these strong reactions, though, which are obviously based on our shared understanding of what "karma" means. In "the west" we tend to think of "karma" as some ultimate system of justice that nobody can escape, no matter how rich, powerful, attractive, or modly they are. This "karma" system gives certain individuals have special rights, and thus they are (sort of) unaccountable to those rules, which flies in the face of our shared folk definition of karma.

We could easily set the system so that moderators don't have "super karma" rights. But that wouldn't eliminate the problem of malicious smiting out of spite; keep in mind that wrongly smiting is itself an act of bad karma. The ability for anyone to smite when it's not deserved again flies in the face of what karma "means" to us.

I know it's going to be tough for Carnivore to give up those 10 karma points. :D
    Daily -

Thanks for being the voice of reason (and not just because you said nice things about me :wink: )

Being called "paranoid", "self-centered", "rude" and a "bitch" - because I questioned the "super power" of the moderators (which you basically verified)...well..... perhaps it's time for a "moderator code of conduct" review? (edit: I took out some of the comments that should be just left in my head)

I applaud (although I'm staying away from the button!) your open-mindedness to feedback as this system doesn't seem to be a welcome addition.
  • ....and that has already earned me -2 more. Go, me!
  • Flexichick wrote: ....and that has already earned me -2 more. Go, me!
    Holy Cow, I am soooo jealous of your -12 karma! I seem to only be able to teeter between 0 and -2!
  • Livetotravel wrote: While I enthusiastically =D> you decision to quit the karma - I simply do not understand why you feel a need to continue with any type of rating system. :?:

It just seems to me to fly in the face of Internet egalitarianism.

Thanks for opening this up to discussion.
    I don't think I've ever encountered this "egalitarian Internet" of which you speak. The Web is useful because it is so aggressively anti-egalitarian. How useless would Google results be if every single Web page carried equal weight?

The post rating system has been in place for weeks with zero complaints. I like it because I don't ever have time to scan the entire board. Now, if I see a star next to a post, I know that the discussion is worth checking out. All we are proposing is that we make it easier to see whose posts are getting rated.
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=Flexichick]....and that has already earned me -2 more. Go, me!
    Holy Cow, I am soooo jealous of your -12 karma! I seem to only be able to teeter between 0 and -2!

Don't hate me because I'm controversial :lol:

I'll gladly smite you if it makes you feel better - because that's the kind of girl I am :-)
  • dailyheights wrote:
    The post rating system has been in place for weeks with zero complaints. I like it because I don't ever have time to scan the entire board. Now, if I see a star next to a post, I know that the discussion is worth checking out. All we are proposing is that we make it easier to see whose posts are getting rated.
    Wow, isn't that like choosing a book based solely on it's cover, or more like based on Oprah's review :roll:

But seriously, if you wanted to do that, couldn't you just scan based on the number of replies or views?

Personally, I just read by topic or at random. There are some really good ones that get only a small handful of responses and have no stars...
  • kosherdave wrote: ... couldn't you just scan based on the number of replies or views?

Personally, I just read by topic or at random. There are some really good ones that get only a small handful of responses and have no stars...
    Well, ideally, you would be rating the really good ones that only get a small handful of responses and have no stars!
  • Hot damn! For a minute I thought I came back to more bad karma than AW. Sigh. A girl can dream :roll:
  • Flexichick wrote: Hot damn! For a minute I thought I came back to more bad karma than AW. Sigh. A girl can dream :roll:
    Seriously, how can you be at -20 now. This is offensive and soooo not fair, I should have at least half that!! Something's fishy! I'm jealous!
  • OW! Stop, dammit! Stop!
  • Dead Horse wrote: OW! Stop, dammit! Stop!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

this post deserves an "awesome"
  • i support flexi and her posting. no supprise there. she contributes to the site. she brings the ps one alive!!!!
  • armchair_warrior wrote: i support flexi and her posting. no supprise there. she contributes to the site. she brings the ps one alive!!!!
    Please, share with me the secret to such great (or terrible, really) karma! lol
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior]i support flexi and her posting. no supprise there. she contributes to the site. she brings the ps one alive!!!!
    Please, share with me the secret to such great (or terrible, really) karma! lol

just a select group of dedicated posters who never liked me. if the karma was like a poll count i'll probably have more postives than that.

but the select group in the past have let it known that i wasnt liked. i know who they are and they know i know. anyway i really dont care.
  • armchair_warrior wrote: just a select group of dedicated posters who never liked me. if the karma was like a poll count i'll probably have more postives than that.

but the select group in the past have let it known that i wasnt liked. i know who they are and they know i know. anyway i really dont care.
    Wow, what makes people dislike you, I mean, you and flexi and drano and some others have some damn good posts. I think the only people I have disliked in the past are some "guests" and one old crabby native that I got in a tiff when when I first came on, who hated all MidWest transplants for no apparent reason. :?:
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior]just a select group of dedicated posters who never liked me. if the karma was like a poll count i'll probably have more postives than that.

Wow, what makes people dislike you, I mean, you and flexi and drano and some others have some damn good posts. I think the only people I have disliked in the past are some "guests" and one old crabby native that I got in a tiff when when I first came on, who hated all MidWest transplants for no apparent reason. :?:

you, flexi and few others are like nails sticking out. the people who dont like the noisy ones like to hammer us into place. so if you posted quietly and try not to be noticed they'll love you.

anyway stick it to the conformist!!!
  • This subject seems to have died on the PH Board. But remains alive here.

That's curious to me.

Maybe your detractors (and mine) are the ones on the PH Board who are all friends and meet up frequently at happy hours - a small community supporting each other by trashing those of us who choose to sometimes stray off the reservation.

Just wondering is all.
  • Livetotravel wrote: This subject seems to have died on the PH Board. But reamins alive here.

That's curious to me.

Maybe your detractors (and mine) are the ones on the PH Board who are all friends and meet up frequently at happy hours - a small community supporting each other by trashing those of us who choose to sometimes stray off the reservation.

Just wondering is all.
    I suspect you are right - which makes it a very sad way to feel better about yourself (I can feel my numbers going down as I type :lol: )

It's a non-issue really, as the people who are smiting are not people that I would care to hang out with anyway.
  • Notice how I lost two karma points immediately upon posting - this is such great fodder for my research. Thanks.
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]This subject seems to have died on the PH Board. But reamins alive here.

That's curious to me.

Just wondering is all.
    I suspect you are right - which makes it a very sad way to feel better about yourself (I can feel my numbers going down as I type :lol: )

It's a non-issue really, as the people who are smiting are not people that I would care to hang out with anyway.

Ditto - as my numbers drop further into the deficit area - self-fulfilled prophecy, eh?
  • Quite honestly I think there are more important and serious issues in the world too worry about than karma points. Such as Tom and Katie finally unveiling Suri to the world! I can stop chewing my nails now. I just pray the newsstands don't run out of Vanity Fairs.
  • Hey! I made "Crabby Native"!
  • Idlewild wrote: Hey! I made "Crabby Native"!
    Woohoo! Rock out with your crab out :lol:
  • Idlewild wrote: Quite honestly I think there are more important and serious issues in the world too worry about than karma points. Such as Tom and Katie finally unveiling Suri to the world! I can stop chewing my nails now. I just pray the newsstands don't run out of Vanity Fairs.
    did someone say suri

• Flexichick wrote: [quote=Idlewild]Hey! I made "Crabby Native"!
    Woohoo! Rock out with your crab out :lol:

I just may get crabs for lunch.
  • i loved crabs, they are still in season?
  • Captain Mike's in Howard Beach.
  • Fuck it! Windsor Diner. I feel lik I owe them after making such a questionable if not negative fuss about them.
  • Dead Horse wrote: OW! Stop, dammit! Stop!
    I nominate this "Awesomer Post Of The Year"!!!
  • Why does that baby look likes she's wearing a wig?
  • quijibo wrote: [quote=Dead Horse]OW! Stop, dammit! Stop!

or ... "best response to passive aggressive whining by 3 (or is it 4?) people"
  • Rose wrote: Why does that baby look likes she's wearing a wig?
    That was my same thought. That, and damn, sexy baby lol :wink:

I wonder if Tom Cruise would stand for negative karma points. I bet old Lron would come down from above and smite those who smoot (is that a word?) Tom.

Well, Don't worry, tom, I'll take your negative karma points for you. I'm saving up for retirement. Looks like Flexi and AW are going to retire before me though! It would be funny if DH was able to all of a sudden show us who is smiting whom, I bet those few smiters would crap their pants in fear, afterall, the whole smiting thing is a perfect way to disagree without showing your face. I went from +1 to neg 3 today and I am not sure I wrote anything offensive. it's funny, dead horse or not, I say!
  • alafairnadia wrote: [quote=quijibo][quote=Dead Horse]OW! Stop, dammit! Stop!

or ... "best response to passive aggressive whining by 3 (or is it 4?) people"

hahaha there seems to be a lot of that going on around here :roll:
  • Subject: Dead Horse

You've GOT to be fucking kidding me.
  • kosherdave wrote: It would be funny if DH was able to all of a sudden show us who is smiting whom, I bet those few smiters would crap their pants in fear, afterall, the whole smiting thing is a perfect way to disagree without showing your face.
    I, for one, have been pretty vocal about what I think about the system and who I don't particularly love/hate on the board. my applauding/smiting rates reflect that, so I, at least, wouldn't "crap my pants in fear" if DH posted that I personally am responsible for some instances of negative numbers or positive numbers. also, everyone I've spoken to personally (as in face to face conversations) about the hilarity of this thread and the user response to "karma" has also been pretty vocal on the board about their feelings with respect to certain individuals and the "karma" system itself. so I'm pretty sure none of them would feel particularly poopy in their pants, either.
  • alafairnadia wrote: [quote=kosherdave]It would be funny if DH was able to all of a sudden show us who is smiting whom, I bet those few smiters would crap their pants in fear, afterall, the whole smiting thing is a perfect way to disagree without showing your face.
    I, for one, have been pretty vocal about what I think about the system and who I don't particularly love/hate on the board. my applauding/smiting rates reflect that, so I, at least, wouldn't "crap my pants in fear" if DH posted that I personally am responsible for some instances of negative numbers or positive numbers. also, everyone I've spoken to personally (as in face to face conversations) about the hilarity of this thread and the user response to "karma" has also been pretty vocal on the board about their feelings with respect to certain individuals and the "karma" system itself. so I'm pretty sure none of them would feel particularly poopy in their pants, either.

Welllll, no one has owned up to smiting me, yet I continue to get smited (Is that a word). I still want to figure out why people are so smittin with smiting flexi and AW
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=alafairnadia][quote=kosherdave]It would be funny if DH was able to all of a sudden show us who is smiting whom, I bet those few smiters would crap their pants in fear, afterall, the whole smiting thing is a perfect way to disagree without showing your face.

Welllll, no one has owned up to smiting me, yet I continue to get smited (Is that a word). I still want to figure out why people are so smittin with smiting flexi and AW

I have to admit that you were my pet project there for a while - I keep giving you applause (because I absolutely LOVE the glasses). I got you into the 1 range but someone is really gunning for ya :)
  • Eh, I'm pretty sure I know who and I am definitely sure I don't care why. It would only really matter to me if somebody I cared about and respected was feeling like that towards me. Since it's not, it's not worth the energy continuing to discuss it. On that note, I hope this conversation is about over.
  • ...and KD - those ARE hot glasses :D
  • kosherdave - do you wear those sunshades all the time? Askin 'cause I think i saw you dsecending the staircase of the "F" at Dizzy's one time last week.

I think that "picture" of Cruise's love child is a photohopped compilation of TomKat from their baby pictures. Everyone knows that there really is no baby. It's a Scientology scam.
  • stacey wrote:
    I have to admit that you were my pet project there for a while - I keep giving you applause (because I absolutely LOVE the glasses). I got you into the 1 range but someone is really gunning for ya :)
    awww thanks :D
  • Livetotravel wrote: kosherdave - do you wear those sunshades all the time? Askin 'cause I think i saw you dsecending the staircase of the "F" at Dizzy's one time last week.
    That is very likely, that's my stop and I wear the shades daily ---I hafta remain incognito from my fans :roll:
  • thought so - I'll protect your ID.

OMG, I just became an "Anonymous Guest" - what perfect timing!
  • Livetotravel wrote:
    lol!
  • kd - just "applauded" you - feeling very positive vibes at my newest nomenclature and wanted to share
  • oh and speaking of happy hours - it's been ages since we've seen you at one, KD, and tonight's is at Sepia, not Soda, so you can't even use service complaints to not show up. :lol: :D :D :wink:

see ya there?
  • alafairnadia wrote: oh and speaking of happy hours - it's been ages since we've seen you at one, KD, and tonight's is at Sepia, not Soda, so you can't even use service complaints to not show up. :lol: :D :D :wink:

see ya there?
    I hafta decline, I've made an oath to not miss a day of training from now till Nov 5th... for the last 2+ months I've stuck with it :D
  • Livetotravel wrote: thought so - I'll protect your ID.

I wanna stop being a Love Child, but someday I will be a Ninja.
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]thought so - I'll protect your ID.

You're more than halfway to Minister of Propaganda!
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]thought so - I'll protect your ID.

I wanna be a Ninja too! Like that one in Prospect Park, only I promise not to jump out of trees attack anyone! Well, I might jump out of trees.
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=Flexichick][quote=Livetotravel]thought so - I'll protect your ID.

I wanna be a Ninja too! Like that one in Prospect Park, only I promise not to jump out of trees attack anyone! Well, I might jump out of trees.

But will you wear the white glasses? Because that would be a cool outfit.
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=kosherdave]I wanna be a Ninja too! Like that one in Prospect Park, only I promise not to jump out of trees attack anyone! Well, I might jump out of trees.
    But will you wear the white glasses? Because that would be a cool outfit.
  • Flexichick wrote: But will you wear the white glasses? Because that would be a cool outfit.
    Yes of course! Even as a ninja I still will have to be incognito!
  • um, carn, you're my new hero, my new chuck norris!
  • kosherdave wrote: um, carn, you're my new hero, my new chuck norris!

pfft, I thought I was your new hero :lol: (but I have to give it up for Carnivore - that's a great photo!)
  • Flexichick wrote: [quote=kosherdave]um, carn, you're my new hero, my new chuck norris!

pfft, I thought I was your new hero :lol: (but I have to give it up for Carnivore - that's a great photo!)

lol, flexi you're my new best friend... carn's my new chuck norris, I mean hero.
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=Flexichick][quote=kosherdave]um, carn, you're my new hero, my new chuck norris!

lol, flexi you're my new best friend... carn's my new chuck norris, I mean hero.

aight. I can live with that. Carnivore has enough "karma" to cover both of us :lol:

Right back at'cha! :wink:
  • Carnivore, i just applauded you -- that image almost made me blow wine out of my nose!!!

Good job :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I have to go wipe off the monitor...
This discussion has been closed.