The Classon, new restaurant coming to St. Johns and Classon
  • Greetings-

A new restraurant will soon open on the corner of St. John's and Classon Ave, and is owned by the same guy who owns Amorina on Vanderbilt.

We have been talking about it for months here, on a thread about what was formerly in the location: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/is-abigails-kaput

But now that it is getting close to opening, I have decided to give it its own thread, and summarize the old one: The Classon will feature blues music, a full Liq lic and table service level food.

The owner launched a Facebook page today:

Facebook for The Classon

Disclosure: This man has supplied Brooklynian's annual Festivus event with free pizza from Amorina for two years in a row. Such tactics are effective in creating a favorable opinion.

• is Amorina a good restaurant?

looking forward to a new restaurant on the corner.

• Amorina is yummy, but very family focused. Lots of kids under 10.

His old Aliseo place was fancy, and is now operated under the name La Mujer Gala. He seems to have an ownership stake in the new place, but is not actually operating it.

Based on my conversations with him, The Classon is going to be pretty upscale, perhaps even "date night" worthy.

He apparently really likes blues music.

• Any idea on what type of food?

• Such good news. When will they open?

• Italian

Soon

• The owner put out this photo on his Facebook feed. It is taken from inside the venue. The door on the left opens to St. Johns.

• heard work being done inside today

• When I inquired about the place I was told that they don't have a gas line. So everything was cooked with electricity. In my opinion you can't really produce good food unless you have a high BTU gas oven at your disposal. That said, its not impossible to have a gas line run into the property.

Additionally, my broker said that Abigail can never ever have a liquor license because of their proximity to a church. I was informed that they did try (hired a lawyer specializing in getting liquor licenses) but failed.

• I've been told that one can get a beer/wine lic for a location that is within 200' of a church, but one can not get a hard liquor lic.

That is all Abigail could serve, and apparently the new owner of The Classon concluded that was "good enough".

Note, a beer/wine lic is presently in pending status with SLA:

http://www.trans.abc.state.ny.us/servlet/ApplicationServlet?pageName=com.ibm.nysla.data.publicquery.PublicQuerySuccessfulResultsPage&validated=true&serialNumber=1267282&licenseType=RW

BTW, readers, we are talking about 807 Classon Avenue

photo: http://sunsunconstruction.com/807-classon-ave-brooklyn-ny-2/

• I enjoy that building. It is wearing a building hat.

• landlord: I took the attached photo about two months ago, noticed they'd poured two new sidewalk slabs in front of the place - and one of them seems to have a GAS valve in it. So thinking the new lessor or the landlord had a gas line added...

Attached files image
  • landlord said:

When I inquired about the place I was told that they don't have a gas line. So everything was cooked with electricity. In my opinion you can't really produce good food unless you have a high BTU gas oven at your disposal. That said, its not impossible to have a gas line run into the property.

Additionally, my broker said that Abigail can never ever have a liquor license because of their proximity to a church. I was informed that they did try (hired a lawyer specializing in getting liquor licenses) but failed.

explains why Abigails had problems

• mr. met said:

explains why Abigails had problems

That doesn't even begin to explain why Abigail's had problems. Blech.

• Does anyone have a status on when this new restaurant is planning to open? The paper has been on the windows for some time, and some work seems to be happening there when I occasionally walk by, but it seems to be moving slowly. Any ETA?

• Liquor lic is still in pending status.

No evidence of a kitchen inspection yet by DOHMH.

....so, some things still need to happen.

• July 11: The owner states he is optimistic it will open in Mid September.

• The owner is now publishing interior photos on the Facebook page, and stating he is getting close:

• Sept 11:

The alc lic is still in pending status, and I have heard that is the only obstacle remaining.

• Open already and make it BYOB for now, I'm very excited about this! Family friendly, blues music, I'm there and often if the food is even moderate.

• Without the ability to sell alcohol, he would lose money if he opened now.

He owns the building, and has other venues, so he was likley aware of how long it would take SLA to processs his application and finish construction.

• How do you figure he'd lose money? I know booze yields high margins and becomes a healthy portion of a place's profit if its in the mix, but there are obviously many food establlishments that don't serve alcohol and survive.

• I hit send too quick. I think maybe it makes sense to wait till you have the llcense to avoid people forming a negative first opinion ("forget them, they dont have booze") and not getting a second chance to attract them back, but i've been to many places with byob signs letting people know they'll be serving booze soon. Either way, I'm happy waiting for what sounds like a great place.

Just curious, do you know more about the food? "Italian" is vague. Italian as in pizza/pasta, or Italian as in Al di La / Corvo (hopefully the latter)

• Alcohol is a central part of his $trategy, and the SLA reportedly frowns upon allowing customers to BYOB while an establishment is awaiting a lic.

This will be a live music venue. I suspect he will take in more money from cover + alcohol sales than food.

...needless to say, the restaurant and bar mix in the area is rapidly changing. I expect his menu is far from set.

• Their partial menu is posted by their graphic designer:

http://www.incitementdesign.com/projects/restaurant-bar-graphic-design

• Good find!

The prices and menu tell me that his initial local competition will be Bar Corvo and Mayfield. In the Spring of 2014, his competition will likely grow to include the venue to be run by 3rd Ward at 1000 Dean.

• Oct 27:

As a result of the collapse of 3rd Ward, The Classon doesn't have to worry about competition from them.

When I see the owner next, I'll try to find out what the delay is. While the SLA is slow to grant lic's, I suspect that this lic continues to be in pending at the request of the owner.

• whynot_31 said:

When I see the owner next, I'll try to find out what the delay is. While the SLA is slow to grant lic's, I suspect that this lic continues to be in pending at the request of the owner.

I'm inferring from this thread and the restaurant's Facebook page that The Classon is not yet open. Amirite?

• Nov 25

Renovations are complete.

The venue will reportedly be doing private events throughout the holiday season, and then opening "to the public" in Mid-January.

It sure looks a lot diferent from when it was Abigail's!

• Did the window paper just come down? It was up on Saturday I believe. Was really hoping they'd be open for the holiday period. Oh well, what's another month? At least we'll have G Lee's BBQ to keep us warm.

• I assume he did the math and figured out it was to his advantage to fill it with private events until Jan.

...private events can be very profitable, and also are a great way to show off a new space to a clientele.

• promo video
  • Fantastic but still no public opening date?
  • Friday, Feb 7th.
  • For those not aware, that is tomorrow!For those not aware, the website has been updated and is pretty snazzyhttp://www.theclasson.com/
  • Finally! Though I could have sworn one of the initial menus posted here had more food offerings than their current site now shows. Maybe it'll expand as they ramp up?
  • Oh, and no brunch hours yet? *sigh*
  • An event for Friends and Family of the owners was held last night. A friend and I attended, and had a really good time. The finishes are very nice, good music, high quality wine and beers. Professional grade sound system. I no longer have the Way Station as my only choice for live music ....I can now be much more sophisticated: The band pictured will there all weekend. Additional acts listed on the website.Enjoy.
  • I had dinner at The Classon last night. I was impressed. Good food, nice ambiance, and professional service. There was a jazz band playing in the corner which. A major improvement over Abigails! A great date place. I hope they decide to open for brunch in the future.
  • I did as well. I hadn't realized it was going to be a jazz club. At first I felt a little out of place; I was expecting a more typical dinner/beer joint. But the food was great and the live jazz very cool. I hope it does well... the area could use a cool jazz club.
  • Gustavo Solis gives The Classon the DNAinfo treatment: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140211/crown-heights/live-music-venue-soul-food-restaurant-opens-on-classon-avenue
    Italy and Louisiana intersect at a Crown Heights jazz bar. The Italian-born Brooklyn chef behind Vanderbilt Avenue's Amorina Pizza has opened an Italy-infused soul food restaurant with live music.
  • Italy and Louisiana intersect at a Crown Heights jazz bar.
    Hey! He stole my line.
  • And now Brownstoner weighs in: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014/02/classon-social-club-brings-blues-jazz-and-comfort-food-to-crown-heights/
    The Classon Social Club opened its doors last Friday on the corner of St. Johns and Classon, offering live blues and jazz and classic American comfort food. The bar and restaurant serves up homey dishes like mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, shrimp and polenta and sorghum glazed porchetta. The western Crown Heights joint has a small stage outfitted with a drum kit and piano, and there are several blues, tango and jazz acts lined up for later this month.
    They have a decent photo of the interior.
  • We went Thursday night and loved it. I had the chicken pot pie and a Stone Levitation Ale. My wife had the sliders, which were good but a little drier than I like em. So happy this exists.

Randal
  • The owner seems to be positioning The Classon as being a "live music venue with food", as opposed to a "restaurant with live music".

The distinction is crucial. Those not attending (?!) the Brooklyian - SOS Happy Hour, might enjoy this event:

classon

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43700/unofficial-joint-sos-crown-heights-brooklynian-happy-hour-feb-27#Item_8
  • As a result of being a live music venue, he is targeting media specializes in same:

https://oaknyc.com/blog/in-the-hood-crown-heights-the-classon-social-club/

He might not primarily go after the crowd that looks for weekend activities in The Village Voice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook