Flatbush Avenue might get reconfigured
  • Flatbush Avenue between Empire Blvd/Ocean Ave and Nostrand Ave

photo and more info:

http://ditmasparkcorner.com/blog/transportation/attend-a-public-feedback-session-on-proposed-flatbush-ave-improvements

Once drivers lose the ability to double park, businesses which depend on this (bakeries, street vendors, etc) are going to have to adjust.

I have a big theory that this is related to the massive amounts of money and energy presently being put into renovating the Kings Theater.

• I heard about this on the Q at Parkside's blog as well.

This traffic realignment is overdue. Traffic along that stretch is often a mess. The doubleparking by customers and delivery trucks and the dollar vans darting in between lanes contribute to that mess.

re: "Once drivers lose the ability to double park" - That will only matter if it's enforced! ETA: It's not being enforced sufficiently now!

I also think that Flatbush Avenue is too narrow to support the amount of traffic that travels on it as a two-way street. 
  • Time will tell whether DeBlasio is able to get the police to spend more effort on traffic enforcement.

The cops I know think it is "below them"
  • Maybe the NYPD should see it this way: Enforcement might be a way to increase revenue for the city. Everyone else wins (except those receiving the tickets).

I wonder whether the cops felt the same way when there was that crackdown on farebeating and other seemingly minor "quality of life" crimes during the Giuliani administration. Yet, people loved to claim that it helped to reduce crime (including much more serious crimes).

• Those crimes are often addressed by transit cops and Impact Zone cops.

Transit cops see such crimes as part of their jobs.

Impact Zone cops are newbies, and also see it as part of their jobs because they know that they must do it to someday be part of the class that believes it "doesn't have to such things anymore" ....the class that rides around in a RMP. 

Guess what's needed to make a traffic stop?     Yup, an RMP.

• I have a dream where Flatbush will be mostly car-free (like the Fulton Street Mall) and will instead be buses - including SBS B41. It shouldn't take so long to get to Kings Plaza...but it does.
  • It shouldn't take that long to get to and from the Junction either-but it does. The Target by the Junction and the Target at Atlantic Terminal are roughly equidistant from my house. Yet going to the Junction takes much longer, even on a Limited bus. Taking the B44 SBS NB from the Junction to Empire Boulevard is much faster than taking the B41 Limited.

I suspect the only way a B41 SBS will work is, at least between Nostrand and Empire, if it were rerouted away from Flatbush like the MTA did the NB B44 SBS.

ETA: I'd like to see the dollar vans rerouted on Bedford between Empire and Foster; that might alleviate some of the traffic woes too. 
  • In my experience, it's worth the extra time....The Target at Atlantic is hell.  The Target at the Junction is a lovely suburban oasis.

I agree.  I would love SBS heading N/S on Nostrand, heading N/S on Ocean Avenue from Empire all the way down, heading N/S on Ocean Parkway ... and then E/W on King's Highway and Avenue U -- that way all of those N/S bound at two points throughout south Brooklyn.  

OR TROLLEYS!!
  • xlizellx said:

I have a dream where Flatbush will be mostly car-free

Hear, hear.

I have a dream where most of this city will be car-free.  Cars and guns are, by far, the two greatest menaces to this city (and all US cities).  Only you are much more likely to be killed or severely injured by a stranger wielding a car than one wielding a gun.

• xlizellx said:

xlizellx said:

OR TROLLEYS!!

When I was a kid, I remember the city digging up the last of the trolley tracks in my neighborhood on Franklin Avenue near this site. Why and how would the city bring trolleys back? ;)

xlizellx said:

Cars and guns are, by far, the two greatest menaces to this city (and all US cities).  Only you are much more likely to be killed or severely injured by a stranger wielding a car than one wielding a gun.

Yes. Hopefully de Blasio will be able to follow through on his intentions to reduce the number of pedestrians killed by motor vehicles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook