Hey, Brooklynian looks different today!
  • Need help logging in? Contact us.

We've got a new look, new features, and a snappy new comment system! Shout out and THANK YOU to @booklaw, @tateinbk, @smokin joe, @mamacita, @whynot_31, @homeowner, @mugofmead111, @newguy88, @goodprospect, @brookfetish, and everyone else who provided feedback over the past few weeks. Your input was invaluable in getting this off the ground.

Let's kick the tires and see what happens! Give it a try, and post any issues you have here.

--
    Other new features:
    *Mobile version - iPhone/android version that is actually usable!! Try it on your phone now.
    *My Discussions - It highlights your discussions in one tab so you can find them easily
    *Drafts - it saves your drafts as you type. When you come back later, you'll see a "My Drafts" thing pop up
    *Editing
    *Private messaging/inbox
    *Post Notifications - a fancy thing pops up if you are on a page and someone else posts to it.
    *Real-time posting - click submit and it shows up pretty much right away.
    *Email notifications - see in real time who's commenting on your posts. Don't worry, you can opt out if you don't love it.
    *Rich text editor - buttons to easily add bold/italic, photos, web links, etc. It's not enabled now because it needs to be configured (it doesn't work on Chrome mobile so it needs to be selectively turned off).
    *Split/Merge - not enabled yet. Other Moderator features too.

Wish list/future:
    *Search (eh... not here yet. It's high on the list!)
    *Link to open to the last comment in a given thread
    *"like", voting, or thumbs up postings
    *display categories menu bar for logged out users
    *fix some of the pages are that broken. E.G. photos in one thread only show hot links saying "attached files." but once you click on them, photos appear in the thread. Please POST the URLs of broken threads so they can be fixed!
    *Categories are disorganized - yes, they are just thrown in there for now. We need a drop down that shows all the forums when you hover over the top toolbar. Everything is on the right now, but could it be nested so it's more organized or at least in alphabetical order.
    *make posting photos easier (upload photos directly)
  • When I click on a discussion, can you give me the option of starting at the most recent post?

At present, the links take me to the first post in a discussion.

• The PM feature has returned! :)
  • Yes, PMs are back!

In terms of the links taking you to the most recent post. If you are logged in, the site should be doing exactly that. It works for me, and in fact when we were testing this out, the mods were asking for the links to take them to the FIRST post. :)

It might have to do with the site still trying to catch up with your "last read" posts. I think after you click around a bit, the issue should resolve.
  • I would also like the most recent post link - which is not necessarily "last one I read." With some of the threads on Brooklynian going back several years, I would prefer not to have to scroll back through the whole history of a thread to get to the most recent discussion.

But let me also say kudos! It looks great and feels faster.
  • yes, it is much faster.

I took the plunge and started new discussion. Can you add those little formatting buttons? They save me from having to relearn html.
  • Eyy! The Fonza is back! :D So far all seems well!
  • Please move the most recent post to the top and present all postings in reverse chronological order. The current presentation is exhausting as you have to click/scroll through all the history (often from 3 years ago...), just to see the most current. Thanks.
  • Is it still divided by neighborhood or is everything clumped together now?
  • hi @naturegirlbk,

The headline now DOES take you to the most current post. You should see a # at the end of the URL which has the most recent comment number next to it. Let me know if this is now working for you.

NOTE: you have to be logged in to take advantage of this feature! You will see this type of URL: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43704/hey-brooklynian-looks-different-today#Item_10

In terms of it being exhausting to pore over 3 years worth of posts - this is not something I can control, short of locking up old posts. On most boards, the old posts drift down, but I think users here are in the habit of doing "one thread forever" for some topics.
  • @epiclylaterd yes, the neighborhoods are still there. Please see the right sidebar. Also, the "Categories" menu item across the top of the site. Let me know if it should be changed to be more obvious or intuitive.
  • Thanks @brooklynian I clearly see the categories on the right side on my computer. However, right now I am posting from my phone. I still do not see the right sidebar.
  • @epiclylaterd oh yeah - the mobile site is zen and stripped down so it's easy to use on your phone. I'll check and see if there is a way to put a "categories" link on the menu bar. You can always scroll to the bottom of the mobile site and click "full site" which would make it easier to peruse categories on the phone.
  • @Brooklynian will the edit ability be returning?
  • I have been too stupid to remember my password and figure out the site for the past few months but yesterday I thought I got it together and posted on the CB8 thread, but my comment disappeared today.
  • @newguy88 yes, it should be there. I'll figure out what the problem is and let you know.

@ribbons I think you had the last comment before the switch over. I'll find it and restore it!
  • @Brooklynian, the headline does NOT take you to the most recent post! It takes you to the first post in the thread, which means that if it's an old thread, you have to both scroll and paginate to get to the most recent comments.

After you have already read a thread, the headline does take you to the last place that you read from. But since the new board means that my "place" in old threads was lost, in order to see the current discussion, I have to scroll and page through what can be years of comments to get to the relevant actual post, which may just be one comment.

I really appreciated the ability to quickly jump to the end of any thread on the old board, and if there is some way to replicate that ability -- whether it's reverse-chronological posting, as @naturegirlbk suggested, or something closer to the previous functionality, I'd ask that you prioritize it. If you can't, maybe you can either (a) get rid of the pagination, so at least I don't have to both scroll and page through to get to the end of the thread, or (b) allow us a way to mark ALL threads as read, so we can effectively jump to the current discussion even in a thread that we've never contributed to. Thanks!
  • @ribbons check your pm; I think I found your post.
  • @mishaps I did some further investigation, and didn't find an out of the box way to add a link to the latest post. It may be out there.
  • It should be noted that once you do click on a post, from then on the previous pages/replies will be remembered as "read' so after that it will jump automatically to the last post in the thread. But yes, we are working on getting that shortcut added or a 'mark all posts read" button added -stay tuned! Lots of stuff to work on, and nothing can happen overnight (the Admin does need to take some time to sleep/work/family)
    The all volunteer staff thanks you for your patience! (Now where are all the smilie buttons?!?)
  • @mamacita @mishaps I think I just figured out how to at least mark all viewed. You should see "Mark All Viewed" in the top menu bar if you are logged in. Does this help at all?
  • I think it helps a lot!

Thank you!
  • WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!
    I think I just had a eureka moment and did it. 

Guys... check the "Jump to Most Recent Comment" thing I just added. Let me know if it works
  • it works!
  • Excellent! Thank you!
  • Is there a way to add a more detailed time tag to comments?  For example, the thread on the PH board about the car explosion on Lincoln Pl reads only "February 14."  It would be helpful to know when on the 14th the car exploded.  Thanks.
  • Probably but will have to look into it.
  • I'm attempting to embed a photo, via the little photo icon.

It seems to work, but it doesn't resize for the screen.

• The image above looks resized to me.
  • yes, now it does.   Does it take a while to resize things?     
  • I think you may be right about that. I embedded a photo earlier today and it didn't show up as resized to me either. Now I rechecked it and it's resized. I think simply refreshing your page will let you verify it has been resized.
  • What are peoples opinions on the front page loading/showing full images along with the first post summary first lines? I kinda hate it because it takes up a huge chunk of the first page posts, when I really just want to browse through it quickly and then click on titles if I feel I want to read more.
  • test to see whether edit works
  • I don't mind them on the front page, because it makes it attractive to new and occasional readers.

The regulars might get tired of seeing the space taking photos in the neighborhood forums, however.

BTW, when I post from my work desktop, I get a red "body required" message. This may be related to running An old version of Internet explorer.
  • It can be especially burdensome when someone posts a whole bunch of photos in their first post -so then the front page really gets taken over by one post. Like here: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38117/991-eastern-parkway-for-sale-near-troy-ave

If everyone the pictures (do they?), then maybe we can at least limit the amount previewed to just 1 pic?
  • I agree with whynot that the images make the page look a lot better and give you a better sense of what's going on in active posts vs. just seeing a lot of text.

I do not know how to limit the amount previewed to 1 pic. That said, the discussion excerpts on the front page have a word limit (currently set to about 50, I think), so any pictures that appear after 50 words of text will not display unless you click the post link.

• Please catch up on all the sleep you lost doing all the work you have done.

the search function is now running. Google has found and indexed the new links! I've updated the links in the "development index thread"

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37490/the-big-6-developments-in-western-ch-in-2013-the-big-11-developments-in-2014#Item_30

Can you sticky it to the top of the CH section?

• The only "sticky" option we have right now is to stick it to the front page. The next major site update (date: yet unknown) will include this ability.
  • @mamacita figured out a way to smallify the images
  • Here's another item for the wish list: a quoting function. (e.g.I wanted to quote part of @whynot_31's post in a reply.) 
  • @mugofmead111 There is a quote function, but it seems to be broken. We will have it eventually.
  • Image upload works now, if you click the little picture icon to the far left in the comment buttons: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/43765/image-upload-works
  • For the "feature wish list:"
    Under Inbox: being able to differentiate new vs. read messages with some sort of bold vs plain text.

currently messages just say something like,
    • Brooklynian  Brooklynian sent you a message.

It would be great to have message titles, for instance: Brooklynian sent you a message titled "Please log out!" or something.

Lastly, it would be awesome if instead of a dozen notifications that "X sent you comment" -- when actually it is just a reply to the same comment-- that the original notification just bumps up on your notification list in bold to show it is a new reply to the same comment previously read.

• Totally agree. We can't do anything about those now, but the upcoming release is going to have improvements to both Inbox and Notifications.
  • Here's another item for the wish list: a quoting function. (e.g.I wanted to quote part of @whynot_31's post in a reply.) 

@mugofmead111 Boom!

Let's be judicious with this one. Nobody wants to scroll through Quote Bloat (at least I don't)...
  • Ok, thanks! :)

• Really nice new format for the site.  So glad it is here.

• @prodigalson thanks! We are emerging from the ice age.
  • How do we sticky items to the front page? Does it involve the star on the far right side?
  • no, that star is "follow" if you want to follow and track a thread.

We don't have sticky in this version of the site. You can "announce" the thread for the entire site. Per-category announcements are coming in the next version of the site.
  • Programming glitch:

I start here:

Then go here:

I then hit the back key and end up here: 

However, the page is almost blank.   It only contains these links:

Recent Topics

[bbp-topic-index]

We are Reorganizing!

Refreshing the page brings the content back. 

• @whynot_31 That is the old home page. The code that generates it has been deleted, which means you are somehow pulling up a cached version of the home page. I suspect that your browser had a cached copy of the home page. I tried to follow the steps you outline above, and I did not see the cached version of the page. I have a feeling that by refreshing the page, you cleared out the old home page, and if you try the same steps again, you will not see the cached version anymore. If you do, it would be great to know the browser version/device you are experiencing the error on.
  • I have not been able to replicate it.

However, I did discover that one can accidently create threads under the macro category Neighborhoods

http://www.brooklynian.com/categories/neighborhoods

When one should only be able to create threads under the sub areas.
  • Very Nice!
  • @god thanks!

@whynot_31 appreciate the heads up - "Neighborhoods" is now just a header. A couple other category type issues:
    1. "Brooklyn and Beyond" is supposed to be for general posts but not sure that is obvious to everybody - Should we change the name?
    2. what should be the root header for listings, apartments, sales, classifieds, etc?
  • Beyond Brooklyn
  • That's a great idea, but then (at least technically) we don't have a place for "Brooklyn posts that don't apply to a specific neighborhood." As much as I dislike the idea of splitting up the categories further, maybe we do need separate "Brooklyn General" and "Beyond Brooklyn" categories.

I just reviewed the latest posts in the category, and in my estimation, most of them are more or less general-slash-brooklyn, so maybe we call it "Brooklyn General" and leave it at that.
  • I like the sound of Brooklyn General.
  • Also the name of the New Utrecht High School football team:

http://brooklyngenerals.com/
  • Back on topic.

On the front page, it presents the first few threads in a very snazzy manner, with lines separating them.     However, after about the sixth thread, the lines disappear and the threads start to look combined.

What's that about? 
  • I don't see it - it's probably just a stray HTML tag in one discussion excerpt that needs to be cleaned up. What post are you talking about?
  • I did a little research, and it seems to happen only on my desktop's version of Safari.

...it doesn't happen on my phone version of Safari, it doesn't happen on my work's Explorer.

Life will go on.

• As a result of only having the page numbers at the bottom, readers may find themselves on the top of Page 2 of a thread and not realize that there was a Page 1.

Could page numbers be placed on both the top and bottom of each page of a thread?
  • whynot_31 said:

Could page numbers be placed on both the top and bottom of each page of a thread?

Yes, I think so. I'll look into it

• Speaking of Ice Age - that's precisely what we are having here in St Paul, MN.

There is absolutely no let up in this bitterly cold Winter - but we often like it that way.    :)
  • yup.

complete with glitter graphics!
  • I also see that it auto embeds youtube videos as long as I use the links with "watch" in them:

• Here's a more modern cartoon, for our younger readers:

• At home, I use an older version of Safari.     As one scrolls down the main page, the threads go to the right side.     

Here are screen shots 

• The main page suddenly looks a mess!  Nothing is separated into boxes, everything is centered down the middle of the page, etc.  I only found this thread by doing a search on the screen for the word "different".  It wasn't like this yesterday...
  • Yep messed up for me too. However this topic is right at top.
  • I think Whynot's reading series post is breaking it.
  • As much as I would love to blame those liberal arts majors, it remains broken even though you deleted the accused Franklin Park reading series thread.

I've created a new one, with a smaller photo, just to see if the board dislikes the subject matter.

• WhyNot, did you mean "accused" or "accursed"?  (I ask in my capacity as a former liberal arts major)
  • I leave such things to the reader.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook