Ft. Greene Businesses Accepting Bitcoin - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook

Ft. Greene Businesses Accepting Bitcoin

looks like you guys have a couple...

1st Bitcoin Transaction at Green Ave Mkt

we're jealous over here in Prospect Heights...

• Ft. Greene Becoming Bitcoin Dining Nexus

Brooklyn’s neighborhood has three places where you can spend your Bitcoins (and fill your tummy)

• I don't get how this works. The spot price today for bitcoins is about $132. That's a ridiculous amount of pizza, sandwiches, and soda. And do you get change in fractions of bitcoins?

• bitcoins can go to a Satoshi (named after the anonymous founder of Bitcoin "Satoshi Nakamoto") .00000001 which is 8 places

you might want to try this out

You might have heard about the big Silk Road bust today...

the complaint against Silk Road Included the following

"Bitcoins are not illegal in and of themselves and have known legitimate uses." http://i.imgur.com/iYvkFKe.png ....

like buying Pizza I guess... Actually the first transaction which was 3 years ago in Bitcoins ...ten thousand of them ...was to purchase a pizza... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.msg1141#msg1141 that pizza would be worth over a Million Dollars today

10,000 X 100 = 1,000,000 as long as the price of Bitcoin is over a 100

• Fort Greene Bitcoin Factoid: Reddit Founder and Bitcoin Entrepreneur was born in Fort Green

Alexis Ohanian on founding Reddit and future start-ups

"Ohanian has funded dozens of start-ups – among them Instacart, which provides same-day grocery delivery, and Coinbase, which simplifies the exchange of bitcoins"

Ohanian was raised in the suburbs of DC, but was born in the Fort Greene neighbourhood of Brooklyn, a short walk from his current flat, a converted 1928 warehouse and the only condo in Brooklyn Bridge Park. He decided on the neighbourhood during a walk with his father a few years back.

“We’re walking from Fort Greene to Brooklyn Heights and when we get there, my dad tells me, ‘When you were a little kid, your mother and I used to think, wouldn’t it be nice if someday we could afford to live here?’” His parents would take him out in a pushchair from Myrtle Avenue to the promenade, which looks out over the same view he has now.

Reddit began accepting Bitcoins in February

• Good article about Bitcoin on Bloomberg.com. The oxymoron about it though is if you want to buy some you do it with real money and if you want to sell it you get real money. So, even though the value may fluctuate it's relative to the price of other commodities. It may be the next "big thing" but it's no different than other ways to make or lose money.

• 20% decrease in bitcoin value due to drug trafficking website being shutdown..

• @PragmaticGuy Unlike any other financial instrument there is a limited number of Bitcoin that can ever be produced based on a algorithm. It also cannot be seized. Just look at what happened in Cyprus. Yes the government can compel you to hand over the keys (which is how they "seized" Bitcoins in the silk road raid)... but there is no button that any authority can press to seize your assets.

This is very different from any other type of financial instrument you ever came across.

• Maybe it's not a physical asset but it's a commodity nonetheless. And though in may not be seized the point is, there's not a whole lot that can be done with it until it's converted into real money. The guy who ran silk road is not going to be able to pay his lawyer in bitcoins. Until they're accepted as a legitimate form of payment it's mostly a lot of people trading them and hoping the value goes up like so many Beanie Babies. If I had my druthers I'd take Kruggerands.

• @PragmaticGuy

https://www.bitcoinstore.com/ ?

Name for me another currency accepted by restaurants that you know of on/off Fulton Street besides Bitcoin and the U.S. Dollar...

Try spending Canadian Loonie or Mexican Peso... from our neighbors to the north and south.

Register your share of Microsoft in street name.. get it from the transfer agent and bring it to "Lean Crust" and see if they let you buy a couple of Pies with it.

Try using your Kruggerand(s) to purchase your groceries at Green Ave Market .. maybe you would have better luck with an American Silver Eagle???

BTW I heard this guy has great Baklava http://www.mandrik.com !

• Ft. Greene(rs) is this your Pizzeria in the Wall Street Journal ?

• Bitcoin Price Update.... Price has more than tripled from a month ago (The Silk Road Dip) now @

~$350 https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD

• In the news again:

A Brooklyn Bodega Owner Told Us Why All Merchants Should Start Accepting Bitcoin

• Why do I suspect this bodega owner also owns a lot of bitcoins?

• @whynot_31 and apparently lots of stores in Ft. Greene...

but lots is a relative term.

10 might seem like a lot today.

but nary a year ago you couldn't do all that much with a mere 10.

• Bitcoin Now Averaging Around $440 per https://bitcoinaverage.com

• Subway accepting Bitcoin

Bitcoin surpassed $500 on MtGox today

• It has rocketed up on the news and trading at $950 Equivalent on one of China exchanges right now http://www.okcoin.com with the Global Average over $800 http://www.bitcoinaverage.com

@whynot_31 you should get a wallet at http://www.bitcoin.org (BitcoinQT @ http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet) create a bitcoin address and put it in your signature for tips (you can create multiple addresses). If you set up a wallet.. PM me with the addy and i'll send over a couple bucks worth of Bitcoin to you.

Blogging platforms such as Brooklynian have been integrating http://www.coinwidget.com and other tools for tipping.

• Here's the thing that I wonder about Bitcoins...if the person or group that runs this whole algorithm dies off what happens then? The "money" isn't backed by anything. All currency that's issued by governments is backed by the government of that country. In addition...I would think (and I may be wrong about this) that the group that's running this didn't do it altruistically. So somewhere when this thing started someone paid real money to get the first bitcoins and someone will pay real money to get them every time they're released. So, this group is making a bundle off people that are paying for these coins and the people that are buying them are buying them in hopes they'll be worth more at a given time which may or may not happen. Just like any other commodity. Now maybe I'm missing the whole point of this but that's the way I see it.

• @pragmaticguy Bitcoin is decentralized / Open Source. There is no "Bitcoin Company." The only way to shut it down is to turn off the internet -- an Electomeganetic Pulse perhaps? http://www.livescience.com/38848-emp-solar-storm-danger.html

Also a Nation State could try a 51% attack but that would be expensive and difficult as the network is essentially the strongest supercomputer in the world http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ky4om/a_realtime_tracker_of_bitcoins_51_attack_cost_and/

Satoshi Nakamoto the founder could be a wealthy person(s) by cashing in some (or all?) of their bitcoin... but so what? They invented the protocol that is revolutionary / paradigm shift. For example The Google founders should not be wealthy? This is Programmable Money. A Supranational currency. It a method of payment and money. But not just money its a protocol so you can program it to be used as escrow for example. Solved the Byzantine Generals problem http://expectedpayoff.com/blog/2013/03/22/bitcoin-and-the-byzantine-generals-problem/ It hasn't been done before. The more you study Bitcoin you will see that it can change your view of the world the same way the internet did when you experienced it for the first time....

• The point is, that Bitcoin, like any other commodity, is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. If at some point people feel that it's not worth anything then, poof, all its value is gone. And since someone invented this type of money, what's to stop others from doing the same thing. There could end up being many different types of virtual money before long. Yes, I understand that for now it's a currency that can be spent anywhere but it still would be traded at the rate of the place it's spent in. So, it would be worth so many yen, or dollars, or euros which in that case why bother even getting any. You many as well just spend the money of that country.

• The trick is to restrict supply of the comodity, while simultaneously making people believe that it has no substitute.

The diamond industry does this very well. It makes lots of wealthy people believe that they can not express or receive "love" without diamonds, and controls the supply.

It's genius.

• Yeah, but DeBeers has been doing this for over a hundred years. And, most of us (myself included) have gone along with it. But you can hold a diamond. Are the photos of Bitcoins real or just photoshopped? I don't have the slightest clue but I would think that many people would want to see something more tangible before buying (pun intended) into it. The use of it for unlawful purpose makes more sense. Oh well, guess this is one trend I won't allow myself to get involved in. I'll stick with the diamonds.

• Soon the ticker on the top will include bitcoin

• It may as Bitcoin is, like I said, a commodity, and an imaginary one at that, not really a useful way to pay for things. Bloomberg.com had an interesting article the other day stating that Bitcoin was not a reliable currency in that it fluctuates too quickly. As an example they stated that it was about $900 on Tuesday and $536 on Wednesday. So if you bought something on Tuesday you paid much less in Bitcoins but if the seller waited until Wednesday to change them to real money he got over 40% less in value. Also it means that if you waited until Wednesday to buy something you paid roughly 50% more in Bitcoins than you would have on Tuesday. You're not going to be buying your next big ticket item with Bitcoins because there's no guarantee that what it's worth this minute will be what it's worth in the next hour. A bad deal for the buyer or seller. It's fine for smaller items I would think but until there's a way to make it more stable I can't see many businesses getting on the bandwagon to take this "money."

• Someone moved $136 Million worth of Bitcoin today

paid a 0.0005 bitcoin, or 37 cents fee for the transaction

Merchants who want a slick interface can use bitpay

BitPay World’s First Zero Transaction Fee Payment Processor

Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/11/bitpay-worlds-first-zero-transaction-fee-payment-processing/#i8mKqFSLKDCwR0tt.99

• List of Ft. Greene Establishments that Accept Bitcoin

-Fresh Garden 729 Fulton st.

-Mirai Wellness Spa 670 Fulton st.

-Lean Crust 737 Fulton st.

-Oxford Kitchen 1 Greene ave.

-Greene Ave Market 17 Greene ave.

-Greene-Ville Garden 373 Myrtle ave (if not yet very soon)

some info here

Report: Fort Greene Markets Accepting Bitcoin

Bitcoin goes to Washington, and Brooklyn

Brooklyn Businesses: Show Me The Virtual Money

• According to the list, not real big ticket items. Can't wait to see the first auto dealer or even furniture store accept them.

• Bitcoin is a protocol. I suspect as companies begin to create additional layers over this protocol so that its less cumbersome for both merchants and consumers to use, we will see wider adoption Re: "auto dealer or even furniture store"

• Soho apartment for rent in Bitcoin making rounds today

• Wall Street Journal

"IN bitcoin," Austin Craig repeated to the young woman behind the counter at the Lean Crust Pizza parlour in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. "Can we pay in bitcoin?"

"In what?" came the reply.

Mr Craig, 30, was struggling to convince Nadia Alamgir of the existence of the virtual currency that has gained traction across the world, and whose value - after months of wild swings - on Wednesday reached records around $US400 per bitcoin {Inpixel's Note: trading at about $1,150 today http://www.bitcoinaverage.com }

It was midway through a tricontinental odyssey taken with his wife, Beccy Bingham-Craig, 29, and a film crew documenting their travails, which started in Provo, Utah. Their mission: to live on bitcoin alone.

"It's been consistently inconvenient and occasionally frustrating," Mr Craig said outside Lean Crust, "but never impossible." Lean Crust advertised itself as bitcoin-friendly but hadn't seen much virtual foot traffic. Ms Alamgir eventually contacted the store's owner, who arrived and processed the transaction, allowing Mr Craig to munch on several slices.

• Barter seems easier.

For example, just about everyone has a use for Tide.

• @whynot_31 ahh yes, the Tide black market... is one of my favorite black market economic stories.

But didn't you get the memo? With the closure of Silk Road, Bitcoin went legit. There was some uncertainty whether or not the bitcoin ecosystem could sustain itself without a black market. The reality the black market use of bitcoin is pale in comparison to that of the U.S. Dollar... and I suspect that of Tide!

Another thought...if the black market doesn't want to use a currency... there is probably something inherently wrong with that currency.

• Trading Tide certificates seems preferable to trading actual Tide.

Especially for large purchases.

• I already like gophers that can dance. I'd love one that could find gold

This all reminds me of that very inexpensive, easy to use device that was supposed to find explosives

• This all reminds me of a very inexpensive, easy to use device that *does* find explosives

Silly String Is Shipped Off to Iraq

• That article is missing a "donate now" button.

Returning to the apartment, can I sign a lease in Bitcoin? If I sign a lease that stipulates that I pay 4.26 bitcoin, I don't want them giving me any BS if the value of bitcoin falls to $12.

...approximately $50 a month.

• Since Bitcoin is programmable money you can actually create a contract on the public ledger called the blockchain

here is an early implementation of this concept

you know the old "poor man's patent"

well Bitcoin just made this a reality

Bitcoin would need to stabilize before any sane person would sign a contract in BTC. --To avoid any confusion this is independent of the bitcoin price...

P.S. Marcelle Shriver

c/o St. Luke's Church

55 Warwick Rd.

Stratford, N.J. 08084

assuming address is current

• Read an item in the magazine The Week yesterday that told about some guy from Britain who bought 7500 bitcoins back in 2009 when they weren't worth anything. He didn't really think about it until they hit $1000. But, he was cleaning his apartment and tossed the hard drive that had the digital unlock key to his account so he's now out $7.5 million. He went to the dump to try and retrieve it but they said it was probably under a huge pile of garbage and it's lost forever. So, the question is...now that they can't be replaced does the algorithm issue new coins to make up for the shortfall or are they gone forever making what's left worth a little more.

• Hi @PragmaticGuy my favorite novelty bitcoin story as of late is "Hi Mom! Send More Bitcoins!"---Fan holding up sign on TV on ESPN racks up over $24,000 in Bitcoin ...

How do you do that with USD?

that's what you call frictionless

Today's news brings us this

Fidelity now allows clients to put bitcoins in IRAs

• Well, with all the new phone apps around all people have to do is email real money right to a person's account. So Bitcoins have no advantage there. And with such a limited supply I would think there's not enough to go around for everyone who might want some so the only good thing I can see coming out of this is that according to the laws of supply and demand I would think they can only appreciate in value. But not because of their worth but because of their novelty.

• psst

Real money is traceable and therefore taxable.

Bitcoins are not.

• Actually, I heard a report the other day that Bitcoin is just as traceable as other money because it leaves a digital trail that cannot be erased. The key of course is to find the trail but it's what the government did to get Silk Road closed down. So, you're wrong on that. In addition, many people are trading Bitcoins just as they would other commodities and if you think that there's not going to be some kind of capital gains tax imposed on that I would think you're mistaken. Because in the end....they still have to get real money for them.

• The government will definitely find a way to catch up.

...I believe part of the appeal of the bitcoins is that the government is behind the curve.

They haven't YET figured out a way to trace them or tax them.

You are right: They WILL.

• Bitcoin uses the "Blockchain", which is a public ledger of every transaction ever made going back to the genesis of Bitcoin (i.e. the genesis block).

You can trace wallets/transactions here

since you don't have to link your identity to an address its is somewhat pseudononymous.

You would have to be a security expert / hacker type running everything on Tor and knowing exactly what the heck you are doing if you want to be Anonymous.

So for example we know that Satoshi Nakamoto the creator of Bitcoin has not been able to be identified (its a pseudonym).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=311216.0 ...

and yet has transactions on this public ledger.

If you are not a supergenius (I don't claim to be), chances are if someone really, really wanted to figure out the person behind the address... they will figure it out.

If you publicly post your identity with a particular wallet address you are giving the world the ability to see transactions with that address tied to you. A charity might want to do this for example in order to give more visibility and accountability to their funds.

---you can create as many addresses as you like. so you could make some public and make some private.

P.S. an interesting fact that many seem to miss is that Tor has received grants from the federal government https://www.torproject.org/about/sponsors.html.en

• Article on Bloomberg.com they stated that Bloomberg did a national poll on bitcoins and the results were thus...

6% of the people thought bitcoins was an Xbox game

6% thought it was an iPhone app

42% had no idea what they were.

I guess most Americans don't give a crap about watching or reading the news. It's frightening.

• Most of America is concerned only with God, Guns, and Gays.

Hopefully, NYC residents are unlike them.

• Looks like Bloomberg News is visiting Green Ave Market in Ft. Greene today...
    for those of you familiar with my 12 Days of Bitcoin'' experiment'' on BTV, you may have heard i called in sick yesterday, on Day 5. it wasn't cance...
  • Meanwhile, a NYT reporter took a trip to the great white north, to watch how Bitcoins are mined.

Mining doesn't sound as bad of a profession as it once was.

• Here's a good overview of what's going on right now:
    Businesses that welcome bitcoin in the borough are so far concentrated in Fort Greene.
  • Lean Crust Pizza of Ft. Greene makes the Wall Street Journal....AGAIN.See.. here's the thing .. if a store owner is afraid of the volatility of Bitcoin... it will surely be more than compensated for in free advertising
    The decision of the Sacramento Kings basketball team to let its fans use BITCOIN to buy tickets, jerseys, hot dogs and other team products may go down as a key moment in the digital currency's coming of age.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/01/16/from-space-travel-to-pizza-your-bitcoin-goes-quite-far-these-days/just imagine if Ft. Greene became a Bitcoin hotspot with the most stores accepting Bitcoin in per sq mile basis...would become an international curiosity/destination...FT. Greene has a chance to make this happen.... will it build on this momentum or let another town get this crown?
  • The operators of two exchanges for the virtual currency Bitcoin have been arrested in the US.The Department of Justice said Robert Faiella, known as BTCKing, and Charlie Shrem from BitInstant.com have both been charged with money laundering.The authorities said the pair were engaged in a scheme to sell more than $1m (£603,000) in bitcoins to users of online drug marketplace the Silk Road.The site was shut down last year and its alleged owner was arrested.Mr Shrem, 24, was arrested on Sunday at New York's JFK airport. He was expected to appear in court on Monday, prosecutors said.Mr Faiella, 52, was arrested on Monday at his home in Cape Coral, Florida.
    More details:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25919482
    "It is unfortunate Silk Road continues to make the headlines in association with Bitcoin - this is the dark side of Bitcoin, which the vast majority of digital currency users have no association with."
  • edited February 2014
    BitInstant has been defunct for 6 months.However, this could be a hit to the local BTC scene as Shrem was owner of EVR bar in NYC that accepted Bitcoin

• edited March 2014
    Sorry Ft. Greene you had your chance...

Entire street of restaurants and bars in The Hague starts accepting bitcoin 
    Bitcoin Boulevard
  • Holland’s Bitcoin Boulevard Celebrates Two Successful Months